How do I get my old Windows user back? I NEED it.

Okay, I love you guys, and this is driving me crazy, and I need to figure out what to do. I'll try to be short. 
Built PC in 2015. Samsung 850 EVO SSD and mass storage HDD.

Most things on mass storage drive, but some little things on SSD. Programs and stuff. Obviously user profile, too.

BSOD 2 days ago. "BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO." Automatic repair couldn't fix, and neither could system restore, or even repairing Windows with installation media.

Bought new SSD. Installed Windows on it. Basically blank user profile, obviously. Tried to copy/paste everything from old to new, to see what worked and what didn't. Pretty easy to find out that doesn't magically make it identical, and some files were corrupt, or didn't work, all things that are Windows files.

Copied ENTIRE contents of old drive (or at least the 99% that I could) to new drive, user and all.

Made new user in Windows. Named it identical to the old user that I want to use. 

Windows renames it to "(old username).DESKTOP-VD(VOSS" in file explorer. Doesn't work because obviously it made a whole new user folder for the user, instead of using the existing user folder I was trying to use.

It was 9 years of activity, and I'd have to somehow find and redo everything from dozens of tiny programs to fix issues or add some QoL, to games, to miscellaneous DLL files scattered around, to taskbar icons...

I don't even want to TOUCH Steam because of how much anxiety I'd get trying to point it to all the right things, and it would probably make HELLA duplicates because it just doesn't know where everything is for the old user.

Even my documents changed because I had it in the root of D. D:\Documents no longer exists. It's in D:\Users\(name)\Documents now and that has a bunch of stuff in it that I need for programs to run properly.

I JUST WANT TO HAVE MY OLD USER PROFILE BACK.

Can I use the new SSD's installation of Windows to fix the old installation on the old SSD?
Can I somehow truly migrate the old drive contents to the new drive and have it just work like it used to?

I have all 3 drives connected now, and I'm just using the default user from when I installed Windows on the new drive. Trying to cope, but basically every click causes SOME kind of "oops, that isn't a real thing that exists" issue and I'm kinda breaking down over this whole ordeal.

4 minutes ago, RagePoweredGamer said:

Okay, I love you guys, and this is driving me crazy, and I need to figure out what to do. I'll try to be short. 
Built PC in 2015. Samsung 850 EVO SSD and mass storage HDD.

Most things on mass storage drive, but some little things on SSD. Programs and stuff. Obviously user profile, too.

BSOD 2 days ago. "BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO." Automatic repair couldn't fix, and neither could system restore, or even repairing Windows with installation media.

Bought new SSD. Installed Windows on it. Basically blank user profile, obviously. Tried to copy/paste everything from old to new, to see what worked and what didn't. Pretty easy to find out that doesn't magically make it identical, and some files were corrupt, or didn't work, all things that are Windows files.

Copied ENTIRE contents of old drive (or at least the 99% that I could) to new drive, user and all.

Made new user in Windows. Named it identical to the old user that I want to use. 

Windows renames it to "(old username).DESKTOP-VD(VOSS" in file explorer. Doesn't work because obviously it made a whole new user folder for the user, instead of using the existing user folder I was trying to use.

It was 9 years of activity, and I'd have to somehow find and redo everything from dozens of tiny programs to fix issues or add some QoL, to games, to miscellaneous DLL files scattered around, to taskbar icons...

I don't even want to TOUCH Steam because of how much anxiety I'd get trying to point it to all the right things, and it would probably make HELLA duplicates because it just doesn't know where everything is for the old user.

Even my documents changed because I had it in the root of D. D:\Documents no longer exists. It's in D:\Users\(name)\Documents now and that has a bunch of stuff in it that I need for programs to run properly.

Can I use the new SSD's installation of Windows to fix the old installation on the old SSD?
Can I somehow truly migrate the old drive contents to the new drive and have it just work like it used to?

I have all 3 drives connected now, and I'm just using the default user from when I installed Windows on the new drive. Trying to cope, but basically every click causes SOME kind of "oops, that isn't a real thing that exists" issue and I'm kinda breaking down over this whole ordeal.

Looks like a mess

You should rather install a new windows/new user on a "new" blank drive, then browse the "old" drives and copy back your old user directory data, your photos/movies, office docs etc. Have to reinstall all software anyway, but can use auto installers like Ninite or BackupMyPc for many of them

Steam shouldn't be an issue, just point it on your old Steam directory in Storage menu  (in Settings)

Then delete everything on old  drive "Windows" directory to clean up

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

14 minutes ago, RagePoweredGamer said:

This isnt possible since it wasnt created on this system.

What you can do is make a new user and copy the files to the user folder in its repsective dirextories and hope for the best

6 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Have to reinstall all software anyway, but can use auto installers like Ninite or BackupMyPc for many of them

Steam shouldn't be an issue, just point it on your old Steam directory in Storage menu  (in Settings)

Then delete everything on old  drive "Windows" directory to clean up

Pics/vids were on HDD. I already tried copying over all the files, but it doesn't actually make the new user function like the old one.
I'm just trying to log in as the old user on the new SSD. Is there any way to do that? Can I boot Windows on the new SSD and have it give user sign-in options for the users on the old one? Can I copy the whole user to the new SSD (which I did)_ and then tell Windows "Hey, this is an existing user. Log in as this dude."?

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

This isnt possible since it wasnt created on this system.

What you can do is make a new user and copy the files to the user folder in its repsective dirextories and hope for the best

Did that. No good. I need better. I still have the SSD with the original user, and the old Windows installation. Can't I just fix that Windows installation?

2 minutes ago, RagePoweredGamer said:

Did that. No good. I need better. I still have the SSD with the original user, and the old Windows installation. Can't I just fix that Windows installation?

From all that you said yesterday its done dead and gone that install.

So my answer would be no there

9 minutes ago, RagePoweredGamer said:

Pics/vids were on HDD. I already tried copying over all the files, but it doesn't actually make the new user function like the old one.
I'm just trying to log in as the old user on the new SSD. Is there any way to do that? Can I boot Windows on the new SSD and have it give user sign-in options for the users on the old one? Can I copy the whole user to the new SSD (which I did)_ and then tell Windows "Hey, this is an existing user. Log in as this dude."?

No that won't work, a given Windows install have no idea of your users on any other install, gotta wait for much more AI for that 😄

Photos and stuff copied to the new user proper folders should work as before

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Just now, PDifolco said:

No that won't work, a given Windows install have no idea of your users on any other install, gotta wait for much more AI for that 😄

Photos and stuff copied to the new user proper folders should work as before

Okay, but what about directory/registry or whatever? Is there a way that I can tell Windows "Hey, everything from this guy in this place, connect it to this guy instead."?

1 minute ago, RagePoweredGamer said:

Okay, but what about directory/registry or whatever? Is there a way that I can tell Windows "Hey, everything from this guy in this place, connect it to this guy instead."?

Technically you can do that in a fucked up way but all that will cause is the old failiure again pretty much.

The new install was do avoid the breaks of the old one.

Reverting everything to a copy old the old wont solve the faults and just means it breaks again.

6 minutes ago, RagePoweredGamer said:

There's no way to relocate Windows user folders

Only safe way I know is to just copy in your new user folder the useful content of the old one, I suggest those :

image.png.6fe8b90a7ef9e424a6648164f4aa179a.png

14 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

There's no way to relocate Windows user folders

Only safe way I know is to just copy in your new user folder the useful content of the old one, I suggest those :

image.png.6fe8b90a7ef9e424a6648164f4aa179a.png

Already done... 

I'm trying to find something that gets the rest back, because it's causing problems. Download/install a thing again, and then it makes a new AppData entry somewhere else, then nothing is how it used to be, so I copy the old data to overwrite the new data, and it's like "OOPS! CONFLICT! BRB GONNA FUCK UP YOUR SHIT"

3 minutes ago, RagePoweredGamer said:

Already done... 

I'm trying to find something that gets the rest back, because it's causing problems. Download/install a thing again, and then it makes a new AppData entry somewhere else, then nothing is how it used to be, so I copy the old data to overwrite the new data, and it's like "OOPS! CONFLICT! BRB GONNA FUCK UP YOUR SHIT"

Not sure what's happening really, some examples ? Or did you mess up the folder structure by mistake ?

As i mentioned in older thread change whole user folder owner permissions to new user so it can be moved and used.

Then technically can revert most back.

Except program files or system files.

Those are locked on tight although not impossible to change owner regardless.

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

26 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Not sure what's happening really, some examples ? Or did you mess up the folder structure by mistake ?

Like Brave Browser.
Reinstall Brave. 
Brave doesn't let you pick install location.
Installs to new C drive.
No data.
Sign in, sync, and missing cookies (literally, cookie clicker file is gone.)
Find Brave data on old drive (G:)
Copy Brave data to new C drive

Brave says "YO, a computer changed your files around. We're resetting everything back to factory defaults for safety reasons."
Rinse and repeat like 3 times yesterday.

Boot up Steam (old installation, still on D drive)

Steam just goes "WHOA, dude, everything is screwed. We gotta run repairs and stuff"
No, you don't. Just let me point you to...
"No, like, we gotta reinstall EVERYTHING."
NO, you DON'T, just use the old stuff.
Only option is to close Steam.

13 minutes ago, BoomerDutch said:

As i mentioned in older thread change whole user folder owner permissions to new user so it can be moved and used.

Then technically can revert most back.

Except program files or system files.

Those are locked on tight although not impossible to change owner regardless.

I'm just trying to find out what other options there might be. This place has taught me many little tricks that aren't common knowledge. Might be a registry edit. Might be a tiny program like my Desktop Icon Restore or VMB Fancy OSD. 

Honestly, the more "little tweaks and improvements" you throw at a computer, the more unstable things can get.

Just copy your files back to the new Desktop, Documents, etc folders.

9 minutes ago, RagePoweredGamer said:

Like Brave Browser.

Try copying your old Brave files into the new Brave folder, then don't launch Brave. Instead, install Firefox and see if it can import the old everything from Brave.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

14 minutes ago, RagePoweredGamer said:

Steam just goes "WHOA, dude, everything is screwed. We gotta run repairs and stuff"

As for steam you can move to c drive and launch steam if steam says reinstall then let it so its job so far it won't delete games so far my knowledge

If games fail simply repair game should do the trick.

If there are no games, steam should be able detect game files and analyse and reinstall for you once you click install game.

1 minute ago, BoomerDutch said:

As for steam you can move to c drive and launch steam if steam says reinstall then let it so its job so far it won't delete games so far my knowledge.

As long as the game files are copied over into Steam's new SteamApps folder, you should be able to verify their integrity and get back up and running without downloading everything all over again.

17 minutes ago, RagePoweredGamer said:

Like Brave Browser.
Reinstall Brave. 
Brave doesn't let you pick install location.
Installs to new C drive.
No data.
Sign in, sync, and missing cookies (literally, cookie clicker file is gone.)
Find Brave data on old drive (G:)
Copy Brave data to new C drive

Brave says "YO, a computer changed your files around. We're resetting everything back to factory defaults for safety reasons."
Rinse and repeat like 3 times yesterday.

This can and DOES work, ive done it.
You just need to know how to go about it.
Googling howto do it per program basis would be smarter then just trying to copy over stuff, as that WILL BREAK THINGS!

Like example for steam.

• Install steam.
  • Point it to install directory. (Make sure its EMPTY!)
  • Then exit Steam.
  • Then copy game files to the previously empty directory
  • Restart steam
  • It should find the installs, if not check game integrity.
  • Success.

Im pretty sure there is an option to do this for brave too.
Im guessing you copied over to many files. As you would need to refill its cache, copying that would corrupt the whole thing.

So instead of the shotgun approach, try to be more precise, and do apps 1 at a time, just to make sure its done correctly.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

6 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Honestly, the more "little tweaks and improvements" you throw at a computer, the more unstable things can get.

Just copy your files back to the new Desktop, Documents, etc folders.

Try copying your old Brave files into the new Brave folder, then don't launch Brave. Instead, install Firefox and see if it can import the old everything from Brave.

Not using Firefox, sorry. Used it for a while, but Brave is more private and has given fewer issues. Firefox is my backup for ONLY testing if a site is broken, or if it's just my browser. (It's never the browser)

I copied everything already. This post was made because that's not enough. 

Just now, RagePoweredGamer said:

Not using Firefox, sorry. Used it for a while, but Brave is more private and has given fewer issues. Firefox is my backup for ONLY testing if a site is broken, or if it's just my browser. (It's never the browser)

This was not the point of using Firefox. Read it carefully. 😉

8 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Maybe the last sentence that didnt show wasnt too obvious. Once imported into Firefox, export it back to Brave.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

1 minute ago, RagePoweredGamer said:

You can install firefox offline and keep offline to import Firefox then Start brave and import to brave and uninstall Firefox then connect internet again.

12 minutes ago, RagePoweredGamer said:

Sorry, I should've been clearer. I'm not telling you to switch browsers.

I'm telling you to try using some other browser that can import settings from Brave as a lifeboat for all your old Brave profile stuff.

Copy your old Brave AppData folder onto your new profile, then launch the other browser instead of Brave. As long as the other browser is also a fresh install, it should prompt you to import settings from the other browsers you have installed.

If the other browser successfully imports all your old Brave files, close it. Launch Brave and let it factory reset itself or whatever it wants to do. Once Brave relaunches with a blank slate, import your settings back into it from the other browser.

Brave can tell when you pull a fast one with its files. I'm guessing other browsers might not notice.

15 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

This was not the point of using Firefox. Read it carefully. 😉

Maybe the last sentence that didnt show wasnt too obvious. Once imported into Firefox, export it back to Brave.

10 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Sorry, I should've been clearer. I'm not telling you to switch browsers.

I'm telling you to try using some other browser that can import settings from Brave as a lifeboat for all your old Brave profile stuff.

Copy your old Brave AppData folder onto your new profile, then launch the other browser instead of Brave. As long as the other browser is also a fresh install, it should prompt you to import settings from the other browsers you have installed.

If the other browser successfully imports all your old Brave files, close it. Launch Brave and let it factory reset itself or whatever it wants to do. Once Brave relaunches with a blank slate, import your settings back into it from the other browser.

Brave can tell when you pull a fast one with its files. I'm guessing other browsers might not notice.

14 minutes ago, BoomerDutch said:

You can install firefox offline and keep offline to import Firefox then Start brave and import to brave and uninstall Firefox then connect internet again.

Well I solved the Brave thing before these got posted, but that's a good idea. I should have done that. I'm worried about how many other programs will do it. The Steam thing is what's killing me. Installed it again, to the D drive, logged in, used Steam Guard (stupid thing) and it just... doesn't open. Opened task manager, killed it, opened again. Log in, use the stupid Steam Guard code. It accepts it. It goes away. But Steam won't open. The stupid Bootstrapper client and everything is running, but Steam itself won't open. Restart PC, and black screen. Have to plug in HDMI to log in, then unplug and plug in the main monitor that uses displayport just for the PC to switch to Displayport, then unplug HDMI and let the daisychain kick in.... and Steam STILL won't open.

5 minutes ago, RagePoweredGamer said:

Well I solved the Brave thing before these got posted, but that's a good idea. I should have done that. I'm worried about how many other programs will do it. The Steam thing is what's killing me. Installed it again, to the D drive, logged in, used Steam Guard (stupid thing) and it just... doesn't open. Opened task manager, killed it, opened again. Log in, use the stupid Steam Guard code. It accepts it. It goes away. But Steam won't open. The stupid Bootstrapper client and everything is running, but Steam itself won't open. Restart PC, and black screen. Have to plug in HDMI to log in, then unplug and plug in the main monitor that uses displayport just for the PC to switch to Displayport, then unplug HDMI and let the daisychain kick in.... and Steam STILL won't open.

Okay lets uninstall steam and install new steam but disconnect D drive and install on c drive then connect d drive and go to steam installation folder steam again then there should be steamapps folder move that to c drive on new steam installation once done then launch steam then you can add drive D on your steam storage settings for extra storage.

You're getting through it's just windows is being like that.