Why cant i Assign a drive that was previously assigned to the E: Drive as an E: drive?

Go to solution Solved by PDifolco,
Just now, CottonAz said:

Bullshit is my middle name idk why this is happening. I'm just trying to get the drive changed to E so that my shit will stop asking to connect it

Pls post a full pic of your drives/partition, there may be some something assigned to E: already

So I recently got a GPU replaced in my computer from the local Computer fix it place and now the E: Drive thinks its an F: Drive and I cant fix it into thinking its an E: Drive. I've tried to change the lettering as you might get to with googling the fixes but nothing seems to work how can I make it an E: Drive when the danm letter doesnt show up? It just skips from B to Fimage_2024-04-20_023049466.thumb.png.c8ffbfd816bb0659f7280dfa971e14ca.png

It was an E: drive before the GPU broke and then when i Got it back it wasnts an E: Drive anymore the computer recoginzed it as a F: drive

14 minutes ago, CottonAz said:

So I recently got a GPU replaced in my computer from the local Computer fix it place and now the E: Drive thinks its an F: Drive and I cant fix it into thinking its an E: Drive. I've tried to change the lettering as you might get to with googling the fixes but nothing seems to work how can I make it an E: Drive when the danm letter doesnt show up? It just skips from B to Fimage_2024-04-20_023049466.thumb.png.c8ffbfd816bb0659f7280dfa971e14ca.png

windows reserves the os drive + the next two letters. so if the boot drive is c: then d: and e: are unavailable for assigning. they store like windows files or something i think. i'm not too sure how to go about changing it tho. do you really need to change it?

10 minutes ago, okkee said:

windows reserves the os drive + the next two letters. so if the boot drive is c: then d: and e: are unavailable for assigning. they store like windows files or something i think. i'm not too sure how to go about changing it tho. do you really need to change it?

Are you sure ? I was able to swap D: E: F: letters with no issue when changing/adding drives

iirc Windows only reserve A: to C: letters

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

12 minutes ago, okkee said:

Bullshit. Its not 1990 or we are talking about MSDOS.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

32 minutes ago, CottonAz said:

It was an E: drive before the GPU broke and then when i Got it back it wasnts an E: Drive anymore the computer recoginzed it as a F: drive

Scroll down and see if that letter assigned to a removable drive

11.png.e70adc25b9b39207cb296316a8f5f9f5.png

19 minutes ago, okkee said:

Eh, nah, I can assign D and E

22.png.a5684b09cfa04286d8ff421f6020eb6e.png

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

A few things you can try:

1 try to scroll down to check if the old E drive is still listed and remove it.

2 Boot in safe mode and try again.

3 check your registry and edit or delete it from there. But I forget path, just google it.

4 It might have been associated with removable drives, try removing and/or inserting usb drives to confirm.

5 Try to rebuild the bcd(again google for the steps).

3 hours ago, PDifolco said:

Are you sure ? I was able to swap D: E: F: letters with no issue when changing/adding drives

iirc Windows only reserve A: to C: letters

Pretty sure

3 hours ago, Levent said:

Bullshit. Its not 1990 or we are talking about MSDOS.

Bullshit is my middle name idk why this is happening. I'm just trying to get the drive changed to E so that my shit will stop asking to connect it

Just now, CottonAz said:

Pls post a full pic of your drives/partition, there may be some something assigned to E: already

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

3 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

Scroll down and see if that letter assigned to a removable drive

11.png.e70adc25b9b39207cb296316a8f5f9f5.png

Eh, nah, I can assign D and E

22.png.a5684b09cfa04286d8ff421f6020eb6e.png

Okay now where getting somewhere what should I do now?

Edrive.png

4 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Better yet. Now what should i change the CD-Rom too?

Edrive found.png

4 minutes ago, CottonAz said:

Okay now where getting somewhere what should I do now?

Edrive.png

E:  is your CD ROM lol, that still exists !! 😄

Reassign it to F: or whatever first

2 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

E:  is your CD ROM lol, that still exists !! 😄

Reassign it to F: or whatever first

Right i did that and reassigned my F: Drive to E: everything seems to be lining up Thanks alot for walking me through the steps i tend to get carried away. Idk why it switched i was getting alot of weird stuff after they put in the new GPU. Comp was trying to boot off of a thumb drive that it was never trying to boot off of before gave me a fright when it said there was no operating system. 

Thanks everyone for helping! Everything seems to be working now!

3 minutes ago, CottonAz said:

Right i did that and reassigned my F: Drive to E: everything seems to be lining up Thanks alot for walking me through the steps i tend to get carried away. Idk why it switched i was getting alot of weird stuff after they put in the new GPU. Comp was trying to boot off of a thumb drive that it was never trying to boot off of before gave me a fright when it said there was no operating system. 

Cool !

Don't forget to mark the solution as solution, Rep counts  🙂 

What happens  is that Windows auto assign the first unused letter to removable media at boot, so it got E: for your CDROM reader when you removed  the old drive

49 minutes ago, CottonAz said:

Better yet. Now what should i change the CD-Rom too?

Sorry couldnt reply in a timely manner back there, was having dinner with my mom.

Thankfully @PDifolco was there to save the day 😃

Glad your problem has been solved.

You can change the removable drive to any letter you want it to be btw.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.