Is this normal?

Fugaroo

I have gotten more into competitive shooters lately.

Had my 144hz dell 1440p monitor for gaming. I had a second display for my media stuff.

I recently upgraded to Alienware AW2523HF  1080p 360hz screen. I notice it feels more grainy, blurry text and games a little pixelated.

Is this normal coming from 1440p? Or might their be something wrong with the display? Non competitive game like 7 days to die looks pretty terrible and grainy so i just play it on the 1440p monitor. All shooters and everything else are just fine on the alienware, which is kinda what i really wanted.Just be nice to know if it's normal "down grading" to a 1080p display.

Did you use DDU to remove the old video card drivers BEFORE installing the new card?  Installing the new card drivers on top of the old drivers still in the machine won't do any good at all except possibly screw things up like you describe.  Run DDU, remove all the drivers regardless of where they came from, then install the drivers for the new card.

Take care and good luck.

Thanks for reply!

Did that as soon as i changed gpu's. So drivers are good, dell forums said it should look really nice. Dunno bad monitor and need replacing or just the change from 1440p to 1080p?

Have you double check whether your display settings are correct? 

For example is it actual 1920x1080, not 2560x1440 downscaled? 

Is it at 10-bit Full RGB? 

I don't think 1080p looked too terrible comparing to 1440p, although I don't have 1080p display in my room anymore for instant comparison. 

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

Yes, 1080p looks more pixelated, and therefore grainy than 1440p. It's has less pixels.

I wouldn't personally call that an upgrade.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

27-inch 1440p is 108ppi

25-inch 1080p is 88ppi

1440p is 77% more pixels than 1080p

You also might be sitting closer to the screen to compensate for the smaller size. So fewer pixels, less density, and possibly closer-proximity will compound into a significantly lesser experience.

I've been using 27-inch 1440p monitors since 2014.. 1080p 24/25-inch monitors look extremely blurry to me.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

The pixelated look is probably because it's just lower resolution, the grainy look is probably because the AW2523HF also has a more aggressive anti-glare coating.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.