No display after using gen3 riser on 6700xt

I have used a gen3 riser in the past with my 6700xt. Set the max speed to gen3 in the bios, and it worked well. Then I had to change the cooler, and was too lazy to fully reassemble the PC, and it ran without a riser for a few months. Now when I tried to rebuild it again with the riser. It doesn't work and is stuck in a bootloop with no video output at all. The PSU fan ramps up for a few seconds, then slows for a while, then repeats the cycle infinitely. I have already set the max speed to gen3 in the bios before putting the riser on. 

If theres a way to fix it without taking the GPU out again, that would be preferred since it's really hard to get the GPU in and out of the case(hence why i was lazy to fully rebuild it) 

MB: Colorful B660i CVN

CPU: 12400f

GPU: XFX 6700xt

Case: Pccooler i100 pro

Riser: Pccooler gen3 riser

PSU: Enermax Revolution SFX 650W

Please mark as solved if I answered your question.

Maybe the riser cable got glitchy? Have you tried the riser cable in another pc to check if the cable still works?

13 minutes ago, Mumintroll said:

Maybe the riser cable got glitchy? Have you tried the riser cable in another pc to check if the cable still works?

Dont have another pc to test the cable with. The cable's male connector is weirdly shaoed to only be used in ITX boards, which i only have 1 of. 

Bump

Bump

Im really not sure, ive never used a riser cable (and have been following along with the thread) but at this point it might be worth just taking the riser out

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

There's really not much we can do on our end....

Since it works without the cable that's the first thing to troubleshoot. You're sure you can't visit a friend to test the cable in his/hers pc?

You don't want to buy a new cable without actually knowing if it is the cable that's bad. If a new cable gives the same halabalula then it would be a waste of money.

Perhaps you'll just have to do the effort to rebuild without the riser cable then...

On 4/19/2024 at 1:43 PM, TatamiMatt said:

Im really not sure, ive never used a riser cable (and have been following along with the thread) but at this point it might be worth just taking the riser out

The case needs a riser to work, and the pc has been confirmed to work without the riser.

On 4/19/2024 at 6:20 PM, Mumintroll said:

There's really not much we can do on our end....

Since it works without the cable that's the first thing to troubleshoot. You're sure you can't visit a friend to test the cable in his/hers pc?

You don't want to buy a new cable without actually knowing if it is the cable that's bad. If a new cable gives the same halabalula then it would be a waste of money.

Perhaps you'll just have to do the effort to rebuild without the riser cable then...

Don't know anyone with an itx build to test the riser with, so yea. 

Im starting to think theres some weird shorting going on. Noticed there being a weird "crunchy" sound when I plug the gpu into the riser. Thought it was the contacts being gunked up or something but the crunching sounds happen even when the pcie pins very lightly touch the slot on the riser. 

If theres no other way out I guess Ill just get a new case. 

On 4/20/2024 at 5:39 PM, Chikensoops said:

The case needs a riser to work, and the pc has been confirmed to work without the riser.

Don't know anyone with an itx build to test the riser with, so yea. 

Im starting to think theres some weird shorting going on. Noticed there being a weird "crunchy" sound when I plug the gpu into the riser. Thought it was the contacts being gunked up or something but the crunching sounds happen even when the pcie pins very lightly touch the slot on the riser. 

If theres no other way out I guess Ill just get a new case. 

If you do take it apart at any stage could you send us a pic of the pins/contacts on the riser and motherboard, they might be damaged or even just corroded is a possibility going by the grindy sound

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3