Cooling a 12400f in a 1u Chassis

Im in need of a 1u cpu cooler for a 12400f that hopefully isnt too loud, as this will be in my bedroom. I was looking at the Dynatron one, but was hoping someone could point me at something quieter and maybe a bit cheaper

I suspect you're talking about that single copper block with a little blower up top that blows heat to the direction the cooler is mounted to, using 4 metal screws. I have it on a 12400F but have no idea how loud it is since the build I've done seems to be short circuiting.

But I do know for fact that you can PWM it, and it's rated up to 120W or something. The 12400F has several stages to the amount of power / boost it achieves. It can probably easily be tamed by that cooler, without any actual levels of noise concerned.

It might however have some blower chime, compared to a non-blower design. That is, considering you want ultimate silence.

What are you doing with a 12400f in a 1u chassis? I don't think most motherboard IO rear panels fit a 1u case. They are both 1.75-inch so I mean...

I would look at a 12400 with a built in GPU.

1 minute ago, johnt said:

What are you doing with a 12400f in a 1u chassis? I don't think most motherboard IO rear panels fit a 1u case. They are both 1.75-inch so I mean...

I would look at a 12400 with a built in GPU.

I have a 12400f laying around, and getting an ITX board for a ryzen 2600 is either expensive or questionable. The 1U chassis is because i got a deal on a 4bay 1u hotswap chassis for 20 bucks. only thing i have to do to the chassis itself is get a better flex atx PSU with an 8pin EPS connector. and ive done 1u in the past with leaving the io plate off til i get a 3d printed one designed and made up.

the build is gonna comprise of a no-longer made istarusa 1u chassis, ASUS Prime H610i-plus-D4 ITX board, 32gb of ram, an arc A310 for basic video out, a 128gb m.2 ssd, and 4 12tb HDDs.

only thing im torn on is the cpu cooler, as the reviews i have read say the noctua cooler probably cant handle it, but as its gonna server as just a plex server, i cant imagine it will produce all that much heat/load since i will be watching stuff at native resolution. not gonna be doing transcoding.

There are indeed some alternatives to this cooler, it's easy to mount and performs / well built but that's all there is to it probably. You can find better alternatives from other brands like ID Cooling, for daily usage anyway. It's originally a server cooler after all. Oh and, the caps around the CPU socket are a problem with this cooler, I think my build might be shorting because of that. This Dynatron thing is too low down to the socket when mounted all the way down.

11 minutes ago, Swamp_Fox said:

he 1U chassis is because i got a deal on a 4bay 1u hotswap chassis for 20 bucks.

I'm so ****ing jealous. I have been looking for something like this for a while now.

7 minutes ago, Swamp_Fox said:

m torn on is the cpu cooler, as the reviews i have read say the noctua cooler probably cant handle it,

I have the LH-L9i-17xx on my 12400 and it is perfectly adequate. I use it for Plex, which btw, at native resolution, Plex CPU usage is 2% for 4k content. It's transcoding to different resolutions that causes headaches and pegs the CPU usage to 100%, buttt the cooler is still sufficient.

9 minutes ago, johnt said:

I'm so ****ing jealous. I have been looking for something like this for a while now.

I have the LH-L9i-17xx on my 12400 and it is perfectly adequate. I use it for Plex, which btw, at native resolution, Plex CPU usage is 2% for 4k content. It's transcoding to different resolutions that causes headaches and pegs the CPU usage to 100%, buttt the cooler is still sufficient.

I got the chassis on FB marketplace like 5 or 6 years ago(M-140-ITX from iStarUSA)

My only other issue with the LH-L9i-17xx is only usable on the LGA1700 socket(i may end up swapping this to one of the E5 V4 cpus i have laying around(i have two 10 core V4 xeons) but thanks for the help! i know what im gonna be getting over the next few weeks(if you need high TB drives, there are 2 websites i use. Server Monkey and ServerPartDeals(12tb HDD for 105))

the only other fans besides the CPU and the GPU are 2 40mm fans once i get my noctua fans in