Kmode page fault not less or equal

zenitix

CPU: i7-13700KF

CPU cooling: iBuyPower triple rad, have seen no temp problems.

Motherboard: ASRock Z690-C/D5

Ram: DDR5-6000MHz TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta

GPU: RTX 3070 Ti

Power supply: CORSAIR HX1000

Primary storage: 2TB WD Black SN770 M.2 PCIe Gen 4 NVMe SSD

I bought this computer from iBuyPower in late 2022 and it worked great up until about somewhere in February to March of this year (2024). At some point it developed a crashing problem in graphically intensive programs, first noticed it in blender, that it would crash so hard it had to do a self repair (very reliably if I tried to move a joint in pose mode). I tried updating graphics driver but that didn't work. After that I noticed it also happening in some but not all games, eventually getting stuck in a blue screen loop after a crash while playing Planet Crafter, that I had to reinstall Windows to fix (none of windows built in recovery tools could fix it).

The main BSOD code I got and still get are:

• IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

• KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

• PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

At he time between getting stuck in that BSOD loop and reinstalling windows I did a full memtst86 run and got no errors. After reinstalling windows, I tried to treading carefully but eventually after a few weeks something caused it to get stuck in a BSOD loop again and I did a second reinstall of windows. Since this problem has started I also noticed other programs behaving strangely, like discord crashing constantly and some some games like Ship Graveyard Simulator 2 refusing to work along with occasional Blue Screens (usually when windows is working it will be a irql not less or equal bsod). In trying to figure out this problem I taught myself who to analyze dump files and looked through several windows dump files, which pretty much told me a driver has gone screwy but not which one. I also found dump files for discord and ship graveyard simulator 2, both of which pointed to memory access issues cause by a rogue driver but not which one. I recalled this all starting shortly after a graphics driver update, so I did a DDU and tried installing a Nvidia studio driver from the same time frame as the driver I had before I ever had this issue and that didn't work. I downloaded and ran a full malwarebytes scan, and it found nothing.

Finally since the problem survived two OS reinstalled I though maybe some recent drivers where having issues with my old bios so I downloaded and installed a recent bios for my motherboard and even though the bios update worked and I am able to enter my bios and change settings with the most recent version number visible at the top, It has caused windows to not want to load anymore (again), instead it's stuck in a BSOD loop between kmode exception not handled and page fault in nonpaged area.

At this pint, I'm at a loss for what to do next, I can't even load into windows to get the dump files to share them with anyone. Unless anyone knows a bios setting that might magically fix all this, I'll have to reinstall windows for a third time.

usually after a bios flash, there can be settings from the old bios that cause new bios or system on it to crash so i would reset bios to factory default. 

and if you get into troubleshooting mode, open a cmd window and try to enter SFC /scannow 

40 minutes ago, Robchil said:

usually after a bios flash, there can be settings from the old bios that cause new bios or system on it to crash so i would reset bios to factory default. 

and if you get into troubleshooting mode, open a cmd window and try to enter SFC /scannow 

Just tried both of these, after loading the default bios profile, it didn't work but I got a DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER bsod error that time, plus I saw a SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED bsod at some point letting try to boot a dozen times or so.

I managed to get to troubleshooting mode cmd and ran the command you gave and it said if found a corrupt something and fixed it and/or would be fixed on restart, instead on restart it bsoded again with I think a KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE.

40 minutes ago, zenitix said:

Just tried both of these, after loading the default bios profile, it didn't work but I got a DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER bsod error that time, plus I saw a SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED bsod at some point letting try to boot a dozen times or so.

I managed to get to troubleshooting mode cmd and ran the command you gave and it said if found a corrupt something and fixed it and/or would be fixed on restart, instead on restart it bsoded again with I think a KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE.

did you by chance get a windows update before this started?.. 

in troubleshooting mode i would try to uninstall latest updates. 

is it still warranty on the system? 

1 hour ago, Robchil said:

did you by chance get a windows update before this started?.. 

in troubleshooting mode i would try to uninstall latest updates. 

is it still warranty on the system? 

The uninstall updates option refused to work and I'm outside the return warranty but still inside the standard warranty, so if I determined something was defective, I could get a replacement part.

18 minutes ago, zenitix said:

The uninstall updates option refused to work and I'm outside the return warranty but still inside the standard warranty, so if I determined something was defective, I could get a replacement part.

reason i ask if it would be easier for them to find out what's not working since they have a lot of parts in their toolbox to test with. 

page faults and kernel faults suggest it's a RAM or disk failure. but it can be CPU and mainboard as well since they both control ram and disk. 

So in trying to reinstall windows yet again because I assumed at this point this install was unsavable, now I can't get through the windows 11 installer that had been working previously without getting a blue screen (or actually a black screen of death). Sucks too since trying to install it, it got far enough in the install that most of the old windows isn't there and trying to boot into the old install just leads to a diagnosing pc loading circle that last forever.

Really not sure what to do now, probably going to try installing a Linux install, maybe might try the SystemRescureCD distro that was shown in the recent LTT video to see if anything can be done from there.

9 minutes ago, zenitix said:

So in trying to reinstall windows yet again because I assumed at this point this install was unsavable, now I can't get through the windows 11 installer that had been working previously without getting a blue screen (or actually a black screen of death). Sucks too since trying to install it, it got far enough in the install that most of the old windows isn't there and trying to boot into the old install just leads to a diagnosing pc loading circle that last forever.

Really not sure what to do now, probably going to try installing a Linux install, maybe might try the SystemRescureCD distro that was shown in the recent LTT video to see if anything can be done from there.

Would have loved the dump files. That mix of crash errors is usually memory related (Random crash error in general is a red flag for memory). Memory doesn't have to mean RAM, but it's usually the main suspect and easiest to test. Just try getting through the Windows installer with one stick at a time.