Using a plex / jellyfin server to play my blu rays WITHOUT any ripping

Go to solution Solved by tkitch,

it probably won't work due to the copy protection on blu ray.

Hi I set up a linux ubuntu server with jellyfin on it. I have a bigg library of blu rays and I was wondering if its possible to use jellyfin almost like a network wide blu ray player. Instead of ripping my disks to a hard drive, I can insert a disk into the blu ray drive of the linux machine and it shows up in my library on jellyfin across all my devices. The idea of that sounds a lot more appealing than alternatives. Im not sure if its possible but I dont see why it couldnt be. Thanks any help is appreciated

2 hours ago, tkitch said:

it probably won't work due to the copy protection on blu ray.

It wont work because jellyfin would need to specifically support that function, which kinda goes against the point of a media "library".  Even if you could spoof it as a file, given it will want to index that file I'd imagine that wouldn't work well.

Besides that, a real Bluray player in my experience gives better picture quality than other devices.  I never bother ripping my Blurays other than to check they don't have manufacturing defects or to AI upscale them (which I mostly only do for DVD).

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

That kind of defeats the point/purpose of jellyfin/plex. It's a media library not a disk player.
Even if Jellyfin/Plex could read from a disk the two problems your going to run into are

• Java Support for handling disc menus.
  • DRM / Copy Protection on both DVD and BD.
    • You could integrate with something like MakeMKV like Handbrake and VLC do, but it still often requires manual intervention.