7900xtx vs 4080 super

Fugaroo

Hi all,

Could use a little help deciding on a gpu. My system is as follows.

7800x3d

32gig ddr 5

1080ti (yeah it's finally not enough anymore, just a temp card)

1 nvme drive 2tb

1 nvme drive 4tb

EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G6, 80 Plus Gold 850W,

Alienware AW2523HF

I have researched past few days. Would like to decide by monday so i can order the card and get back to gaming.

On reddit about 95% of people said if the 2 cards were same price then definetly the 4080 super. 5% claimed if the 7900xtx is a little cheaper then it's a good card.

My biggest concern on the nvidia side is only 16gig vram. Some say it's what you will start wanting 24gig in the next few years. Others say by the time 16gig isn't enough you will probably be looking for a new card. 7900xtx seems a little faster with no upscaling. Everyone raves about DLSS, but i would like to avoid it until i need it. Ray Tracing is cool but probably wasted on me. Nvidia is said to have better drive support most of the time, while AMD it can be fine, or it can be a PITA.

So thats all i know about nvidia. My alienware monitor is free sync premium, dunno if that really matters. So these are the pro's mainly for nvidia. Is there any reason a 7900xtx at same price would be more worth it? I know my PSU doesn't have the cord for the Nvidia power. But i think an adapter for 3, 8pins comes with the card? Anyways i would love your input! I would like to order from Amazon as i have alot of gift card balance. They only have a few 4080 super but this one looks like it's the best.

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Gaming-GeForce-Graphics-DisplayPort/dp/B0CQPZTRL3/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2NYMK9O9G0FGK&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.Vw-vl5obcItFgo3G0YMxNL6Ch0xAWS6eKo96bo-N8Jm6S6AVY1ik2lqlxRHsSNRgr1UGDvXwtG9uw3JU9HiXCY1znIXLlbo3MJJza9p8Tqq2ufjA9G784XllhUFy7ODqDPWEIRELsKL5atOGnBR6ZuyaUVxuDmER6odzplLU0v4GURtgT6ju7El6dWwegu-u_tim14BHksCA-PBbV-FVNnzEfGWY9tu1aCxwNUpmqwI.481SaGS2Kit13XHualN6N95YG94ONK-OVWhhaNpskFg&dib_tag=se&keywords=4080%2Bsuper&qid=1713057916&sprefix=4080%2B%2Caps%2C104&sr=8-1&th=1

Thank you for your time!

16GB is more then enough for what you will be doing on it, its a complete non issue that people are blowing out of proportion.

It pretty much comes down to do you EVER want to turn on ray tracing? Then go Nvidia, if you dont care for RT, go AMD. Their performance is roughly the same. If you have specific games you play, check their results as some perform better on one card then the other.

Power connector is important as well, i prefer the 8 pin plugs since they have been proven to be much more reliable, but as long as you properly install the 12vHPWR connector you should be fine. AS long as your  PSU has 3 PCIE power plugs (each one should be its own plug) you should be fine as the cards do come with the adapter in the box.

When dropping that much money on a card do you want not have the option to run games at a decent frame rate with raytracing? 

dlss is better when it’s needed in the furture

lower power draw, nvdia broadcast stuff is cool, it’s only a bit extra for a lot better feature set, if your hard core raster only go amd 

just saying cyber punch full path tracing dlss and framegen at 1440p is a thing to behold on the 4080 ( i average 100 fps on the 70ti super) 

don’t lock ur self out of that experiance for a $100

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

Yeah,

I can definetly see DLSS and Framegen being something that could make the card good for a longer period of time. Raster is cool, but like you said. $100 should not determine spending $1100 in the first place.

I will look still, but i get a general idea of what it offers more i read.

I thank you for the input.

Will be ordering from amazon like i said earlier. Is the card i linked one of the better ones? I know i loved all my ASUS laptops. But i hear motherboards have been going down hill, but no idea where they sit at video cards? Would think i would want the "OC" cards as i'm not into overclocking on my own.

Thank you! (ok that one is now out of stock) any other good ones?

I'd go with the 4080 Super. I like ray tracing, and 16gb is likely to be ok for the foreseeable future. I'd want to upgrade to 24gb once new consoles drop. Drivers are also more stable on Nvidia based on both personal experience and what's I've read on Reddit. Just do yourself a favour and get a good monitor after upgrading the GPU. The monitor in my opinion is just as important as the graphics card.