Looking to maybe get into PC flipping, is this a good build for it?

Budget (including currency): $500-$800 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mainly gaming purposes.

Right now this spec is sitting at a hair-over $600, do you think I could resell for around $675-$700?

Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 9.59.18 AM.png

12 minutes ago, shak0 said:

Right now this spec is sitting at a hair-over $600, do you think I could resell for around $675-$700?

no it's used. used machines are cheaper than new ones.

pc flipping kinda of died with the 2000s. nobody flips pcs anymore unless you live in a retirement village where nobody locally has any clue how computers work or what the value of them is or that they can mostly just use a phone to do all their tech related tasks.

your target demographic , a person that knows what pc gaming is but knows nothing about computers or how to shop around isn't a very common demographic.

10 minutes ago, shak0 said:

Budget (including currency): $500-$800 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mainly gaming purposes.

Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 9.59.18 AM.png

no, a 5600 is possible for this budget with a better mobo as well 

If you are going to resell it it's better to focus on the parts that will catch people's eyes (CPU, GPU, Case) and PSU can be cheaped out, but not too much that it'll explode, but to something like an apevia

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($144.97 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: *ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: *Silicon Power GAMING 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($33.97 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Leven JPS800 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: *XFX Speedster SWFT 210 Core Radeon RX 6650 XT 8 GB Video Card  ($229.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Montech X3 Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.90 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: *Apevia Prestige 600 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($51.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $670.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-12 11:20 EDT-0400

But if you can buy this new (and in turn, they can buy this new) what's the point in reselling it for more if they can get it for the same price? 

Is this your current system? if it is then you're definitely not selling this for $675. More like $500

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

1 minute ago, filpo said:

Is this your current system? if it is then you're definitely not selling this for $675. More like $500

Nah, my system is a 12700 and 3070TI. I'm just looking into this as a way to make some money while doing something that I enjoy. 

59 minutes ago, shak0 said:

Nah, my system is a 12700 and 3070TI. I'm just looking into this as a way to make some money while doing something that I enjoy. 

the 4500 was a BAD CPU in general, and the motherboard + case you've picked are bad for the money. My build above might go for $700 and so you still gain $30 (if they pay shipping) profit but at that point the profit is too small (in my eyes)

Edited by filpo

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

You gotta understand the way you market a pc to the type of people who would buy a used pc on private marketplaces. 
They do not care about brand or specs beyond face value that much. It’s why you see those cheap prebuilts on eBay that just say “i5, 16gb ram, 8gb gpu” and it’s an i5 2400, 16gb of 1333mhz ddr3 and an RX 470. The person looking at those machines only knows about the basic numbers, and wants whatever has those numbers and is cheapest.

So no, the motherboard is too high end, there’s no point in using anything more than A320 or A520 for am4.

A 1tb nvme drive is expensive as hell to include unless you can get a lot of them for cheap used, 1tb sata ssds are cheaper and still let you say “1tb ssd”

Don’t even bother with current gpus, a 6650xt is 8gb. So is a GTX 1080, which costs half as much on eBay and performs nearly the same. Or any mountain of RX580’s out there which also cost nothing and are 8gb cards.

The Q300L is not a good choice for this because it’s just as expensive as the no name glass and rgb cases on Amazon, except looks worse.

PSU doesn’t need to be anything special, it needs to be reliable and nothing else. Thermaltake smartpower units are cheap 80+ white psus which everyone freaks out about, forgetting their measured failure rate is nonexistent and they’re stupidly common.

And if you’re talking about buying new parts and building PCs to sell above market value, you’re just throwing away money, because then you’re competing with SI’s. Except you don’t have a warranty, support service, or reputation in general. 
And not just like, gaming pc si’s, but the likes of any prebuilt, ie dell, Lenovo, hp, asus, acer, etc 

14 minutes ago, shak0 said:

PC flipping is a BRUTAL business and is impossible for gaming PCs. It's all light browsing machines.

I've done it and have some friends who dip in and out.
The strat is buying a liquidation lot (gotta live near a LARGE institution like a uni or F500 HQ) of 10-100 prebuilt towers. You can often get them for 25-100$ a pop.
Then you test each system (boot, memtest) and cull the busted ones. Assuming they come with SSDs, you then install Windows on each (make sure to update your install media regularly), otherwise you have to buy a bunch of SSDs which sadly aren't cheaper in bulk.
Then you list them on CL/FBMarketplace.
While waiting for customers you sort through the culled machines and cobble together working ones and add them to the pool of ready to go boxes. 
Once you start getting customers, then you've gotta deal with customers. Who are the worst. Ever work retail? For each one you have to line up an in person meeting somewhere you probably have to travel to (you don't really want a bunch of randos to see your giant stack of PCs, right?) which also has open power outlets. Demonstrate they work, then make the sale. Oh, and they're gonna want at least a power cord which often don't come with those liquidation lots (though sometimes you can buy giant boxes of misc cables for, like 10$). And often they'll want keyboard/mouse/monitor (actually possible to make something here with bundles, I once got a deal on 40 24" 1080p monitors for 90$) so you gotta deal with that. Then, when one of your customers invariably fucks up their computer, or it just dies because your testing wasn't thorough enough, you have to deal with customer service, or just have an enemy for life. 
All of this for maybe 60 bucks of profit at best per box. Sometimes as little as 10. Your hourly wage is abysmal and you'd literally be making better money working actual retail. Or see if there is a local PC rehabbing place. My GoodWill has a facility which does that. Defo thought about working with them from time to time.  

If you like building, you could offer custom build services and make commission. But you still have to deal with customers. Or offer a consulting service and charge hourly to teach people to build it themselves. 

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup