Unable to get to the desktop after migration.

Oscy
Go to solution Solved by Dixel,

I know I had to help when I saw furina pfp. 

Anyways sometimes your copy of windows/activation key is tied to your physical piece of hardware. If you change around or replace your hardware it may void your key thinking it's not you. Especially in older machines/os like windows 7, it is more sensitive to these changes. 

You can usually contact windows about this and they will USUALLY, get your activation key, or a new one back to you. You can usually just go to microsoft's support page or go into settings, activation and go from there.

Also also, a lot of the times if u are moving from laptop to desktop, your laptop's activation key won't stay being it is attached to your laptop. (I don't if this is the case or you did something else.) So you might just have to suck it up and by a windows key. Nowadays you wont really find windows 7 keys so I recommend upgrading to at least windows 10 if you can.

Hope this helped, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Alright, im new and this has been an issue for the last 2 days so i wanna start things off.

I have an old laptop run down from my uncle thats Dell Vostro 1015 with a silly 250 GB FUJITSU HDD and suffering with 2 GB of RAM as a 'scrap' he says.

I dont find it scrap, but i do find it still working with Windows 7 Professional and a DVD Drive that doesnt work, well, atleast when it tries to read and write.

Soo, one day i bought a SATA SSD thats 512 GB to replace an old 120 GB SSD from my current setup. Everything got copied without any issues to my new SSD thanks to some bootable USB. And at the end of the day, i took the old SD and slapped in the new one, leaving me with the old 120 without a purpose.

But this laptop came in and i wondered if it can work with the same migration method i did except its a HDD --> SSD type of thingamajig.

And so, 2 days ago, i set off, copying atmost 72.81 GB from the hard drive for a grueling 4 hours.

And after that, i shutted it down, replaced the hard drive with the SSD, screwed everything down, boom, detected with the same Windows 7 Pro OS. Seems normal!

Except...when i log in, it will say in the lines of: "Preparing your desktop.." for atleast a minute before showing me a blue desktop screen.

No, not a BSOD, a blue screen with no taskbar and a non-genuine message on the bottom right.

Is there anything i missed that caused this? Because when i plugged the hard drive back in, it just boots normally like nothing happened.

Thanks in advance though, looking forward to possible answers! ❤️

-Hazel

Dell Vostro 1015

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor

2 GB DDR2 @ 840 mHz

Kimtigo 120 GB SSD SATA

FUJITSU 250 GB HDD

NEC Mate MB-J

Intel Quad Core i5 - 4570S

16 GB DDR3 (mixed, 1333 mHz)

Krystaic 512 GB SSD SATA

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Anyways sometimes your copy of windows/activation key is tied to your physical piece of hardware. If you change around or replace your hardware it may void your key thinking it's not you. Especially in older machines/os like windows 7, it is more sensitive to these changes. 

You can usually contact windows about this and they will USUALLY, get your activation key, or a new one back to you. You can usually just go to microsoft's support page or go into settings, activation and go from there.

Also also, a lot of the times if u are moving from laptop to desktop, your laptop's activation key won't stay being it is attached to your laptop. (I don't if this is the case or you did something else.) So you might just have to suck it up and by a windows key. Nowadays you wont really find windows 7 keys so I recommend upgrading to at least windows 10 if you can.

3 hours ago, Dixel said:

Lord you are the best! Thank you so much.

On 4/12/2024 at 4:39 AM, Oscy said:

Lord you are the best! Thank you so much.

Glad you were able to get your thing sorted.