My front panel header is cursed

TKFT

My computer just randomly turns off shortly after boot. Might last 30 seconds or might work for 30 minutes but it will also shutdown completely unprompted. The thing is it has no other problems, it appears to work completely fine right up until the point it just turns off. It will happen in windows, uefi, during post and anywhere in between.

After hours of swapping components and testing and trying I've concluded my front panel header is the problem. While I'm not sure why it's happening I believe it is intermittently shorting out causing the computer to shut down. Usually I can turn it right back on but occasionally it won't work. Then after awhile it just works again. One thing to note is the PC never turns on by itself, only off. Because of this I've conclude it cannot be related to the power button pins. This leaves the reset pin but the pc doesn't reset, it shuts off so that can't be the issue either. I've also set in windows for the power button press to do nothing, meaning the pc shouldn't turn off from a simple power button press but that wouldn't effect a longer press. So what that leads me to believe somehow the motherboard believes the power button is being held down.

How could something like that happen of the power pins dont get shorted? While I am not sure exactly how the front panel header works my best guess is only the pwrbtn+ is getting 5v dc when the pc is off (maybe chassis intrusion too) and when the pwrbtn-/gnd gets a 5v dc connection the computer boots. Looking at the layout the pwrbtn-/gnd is directly above the rstcon+. Once the pc is on and the rst+ is receiving power if it shorts to the pwrbtn- above it the computer will think the power button has been pushed and shutdown. If someone knows more about how this works please do share.

To fix I think desoldering the reset+ pin has the best chance to fix the issue. I don't need it and AFAIK there is no why to disable them in bios. Seems extreme but I'm lost and out of options.

2 hours ago, TKFT said:

My computer just randomly turns off shortly after boot. Might last 30 seconds or might work for 30 minutes but it will also shutdown completely unprompted. The thing is it has no other problems, it appears to work completely fine right up until the point it just turns off. It will happen in windows, uefi, during post and anywhere in between.

After hours of swapping components and testing and trying I've concluded my front panel header is the problem. While I'm not sure why it's happening I believe it is intermittently shorting out causing the computer to shut down. Usually I can turn it right back on but occasionally it won't work. Then after awhile it just works again. One thing to note is the PC never turns on by itself, only off. Because of this I've conclude it cannot be related to the power button pins. This leaves the reset pin but the pc doesn't reset, it shuts off so that can't be the issue either. I've also set in windows for the power button press to do nothing, meaning the pc shouldn't turn off from a simple power button press but that wouldn't effect a longer press. So what that leads me to believe somehow the motherboard believes the power button is being held down.

How could something like that happen of the power pins dont get shorted? While I am not sure exactly how the front panel header works my best guess is only the pwrbtn+ is getting 5v dc when the pc is off (maybe chassis intrusion too) and when the pwrbtn-/gnd gets a 5v dc connection the computer boots. Looking at the layout the pwrbtn-/gnd is directly above the rstcon+. Once the pc is on and the rst+ is receiving power if it shorts to the pwrbtn- above it the computer will think the power button has been pushed and shutdown. If someone knows more about how this works please do share.

To fix I think desoldering the reset+ pin has the best chance to fix the issue. I don't need it and AFAIK there is no why to disable them in bios. Seems extreme but I'm lost and out of options.

You could try plugging the reset button into the pwr connector on the motherboard, leave the front panel power button not connected to anything.  See if it behaves differently.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 hour ago, TKFT said:

What components did you swap? In my long history, I have not heard of a front panel going bad. I would not start desoldering anything from the motherboard, just disconnect the reset switch and see if that does anything.

1 hour ago, TKFT said:

As with the advice of everyone else and beyond that, fully isolate the issue, unplug all front panel connectors entirely, bridge power pins for boot and run to see if it turns off again, if it does, it has nothing to do with your front panel

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

5 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

You could try plugging the reset button into the pwr connector on the motherboard, leave the front panel power button not connected to anything.  See if it behaves differently.

I should have specified, I haven't been using the power button to turn on the pc and my case doesn't have a reset switch. All the connectors are unplugged.

1 minute ago, TKFT said:

I should have specified, I haven't been using the power button to turn on the pc and my case doesn't have a reset switch. All the connectors are unplugged.

4 hours ago, TatamiMatt said:

As with the advice of everyone else and beyond that, fully isolate the issue, unplug all front panel connectors entirely, bridge power pins for boot and run to see if it turns off again, if it does, it has nothing to do with your front panel

Try this then?

System specs:

4 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

What components did you swap? In my long history, I have not heard of a front panel going bad. I would not start desoldering anything from the motherboard, just disconnect the reset switch and see if that does anything.

All the connectors are unplugged and the issue was still happening. My case doesn't even have a reset switch.

I've switched the psu out, removed the gpu, unplugged every device besides the kbm. The issue has to be with the cpu, mobo or ram. I tried using only one stick of ram in and tried all 4 slots with each stick and the issue still happened. Tried using a different power cable, different wall outlet, surge protector, no surge protector. Cleared cmos, button a new bios battery in, pretty much everything under the sun.

Now it could still be the cpu but the computer is perfectly fine right up until the just turns off and it definitely doesn't crash it's powering off.

My mobo is no longer under warranty so I'm willing to do some surgery if it has a chance of working.

4 hours ago, TatamiMatt said:

That is how I have been turning it on. I had initially thought my power button had gone bad and was shorting causing it to shutdown because the pc stayed on longer with the connector removed but it still ended up shutting down.

Maybe something got in and on the pins or in there. It is sorta humid here so maybe some corrosion.

9 minutes ago, TKFT said:

That is how I have been turning it on. I had initially thought my power button had gone bad and was shorting causing it to shutdown because the pc stayed on longer with the connector removed but it still ended up shutting down.

Maybe something got in and on the pins or in there. It is sorta humid here so maybe some corrosion.

So am i right in saying that there are no connectors connected to the JFP pins whatsoever?

System specs:

8 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

So am i right in saying that there are no connectors connected to the JFP pins whatsoever?

Yes, they are all unplugged.

5 minutes ago, TKFT said:

Yes, they are all unplugged.

So then its definitely not your front panel

System specs:

3 hours ago, TatamiMatt said:

So then its definitely not your front panel

Then I'm sorta lost on what it could possibly be. And why can't there be a short inside the front panel header? Yes it seems unlikely but it's the only thing that makes sense.

Also it's been working fine for the past 30 mins so idk maybe it fixed itself or maybe it will turn off again. I don't trust it.

Well not fixed still turns off just lasts longer before doing so. At a complete loss on what to do or how to fix it.

46 minutes ago, TKFT said:

Well not fixed still turns off just lasts longer before doing so. At a complete loss on what to do or how to fix it.

What are your system specs? Do you have any overclock enabled?

52 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

What are your system specs? Do you have any overclock enabled?

No I reset the bios and disabled everything. Pretty sure my mobo is just dead and can't be fixed or saved.

It's a 3800x, 4080 super, gigabyte arous x470 mobo, 32gb 3200 ddr4, nvme ssd.

12 hours ago, TKFT said:

And why can't there be a short inside the front panel header? Yes it seems unlikely but it's the only thing that makes sense.

There absolutely could be a short inside the front panel, but if youve entirely disconnected the front panel from the thing that affects power then youve entirely eliminated the front panel from the equation, therefore, if it still is happening then it cant be the front panel

System specs:

35 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

There absolutely could be a short inside the front panel, but if youve entirely disconnected the front panel from the thing that affects power then youve entirely eliminated the front panel from the equation, therefore, if it still is happening then it cant be the front panel

He means on the motherboard, not the actual front panel. The front panel connector. But that is HIGHLY unlikely.

9 hours ago, TKFT said:

No I reset the bios and disabled everything. Pretty sure my mobo is just dead and can't be fixed or saved.

It's a 3800x, 4080 super, gigabyte arous x470 mobo, 32gb 3200 ddr4, nvme ssd.

What are your system specs?

System specs:

11 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

He means on the motherboard, not the actual front panel. The front panel connector. But that is HIGHLY unlikely.

Yes I'm talking about the front panel headers on the motherboard. Since I'm pretty sure it's dead either way I might try and resolder the pins. Imo there was something else wrong with it there would be other obvious issues but it all works fine. It just likes to turn off. I ran a quick passmark benchmark and the results were in the expected range and the shutdowns don't appear to be tied to anything related to what the computer is doing. Like I said, it will happen in the uefi too.

Could a bad bios chip cause this to happen?