decent budget ddr4 ram?

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
21 minutes ago, aren332 said:

My current ddr3 ram at 2133mhz is stable when my 4790k was at 4.4ghz (stock) but when I bumped the 4790k to 4.8ghz, it wasnt stable with 2133mhz so I had to increase the timings and voltage slightly for the ram, than it became stable.

I was just assuming if something similar occured with a 5600

I mean, technically, though what that really means is that the memory wasn't actually stable when you were at stock, your CPU just wasn't fast enough to get the errors to show up. It's very rare for that to happen, and I've never had it happen on AMD in 1:1:1 mode, so take that for what you will. 

29 minutes ago, aren332 said:

msi mag b550m bazooka

OK, that's not the best, but it's not the worst either. It should do 3600 at the very least, and 3733 should be very doable. 3800+ might be a bit hit or miss with 4 DIMMs though, but 3733 with 4x4GB should still be faster than 3866 with 2x8 single rank, so I'd still rather the 4x4GB setup. 

I found a 5600 and a decent b550 motherboard both used under 200, but I need a ram 2x8gb ddr4 ram kit to pair with it, perferably 3200mhz one, but im fine with overclocking the ram to 3200mhz. Any recommendations? Perferably under $30, but a reliable kit, timings as low as possible and speed as fast as possible.

Im fine wit buying used

46 minutes ago, aren332 said:

I found a 5600 and a decent b550 motherboard both used under 200, but I need a ram 2x8gb ddr4 ram kit to pair with it, perferably 3200mhz one, but im fine with overclocking the ram to 3200mhz. Any recommendations? Perferably under $30, but a reliable kit, timings as low as possible and speed as fast as possible.

Im fine wit buying used

Is that $30 USD? Also just to drop a note, 16gb isn't really enough for most modern games and stuff.

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

Just now, PcBeExpensive said:

Is that $30 USD?

Yes

1 minute ago, PcBeExpensive said:

Also just to drop a note, 16gb isn't really enough for most modern games and stuff.

Bullshit, 16gb is overkill for me and I play modern games. Ive rarely seen over 12gb usage. I rather have fast 16gb than slow 32gb

55 minutes ago, aren332 said:

but im fine with overclocking the ram to 3200mhz.

I mean, if you're fine with overclocking the RAM, looking on eBay for OEM Micron Rev.E or Samsung 8Gb D die might be worth while (dual rank 4Gb E die would be even better). Both of those do much higher speeds than 3200MT/s with ease while doing OK timings (Rev.E should go slightly tighter, but not anything worth spending extra for). 

In my quick eBay search for a half decent kit, this came up: https://www.ebay.com/itm/335300048543

It's 4x4GB Samsung 4Gb E die, and a setup like that should in theory do something like 3800 CL16-20-20-40 if you run 1.5V into it assuming the board has a decent 4 DIMM memory topology. 4Gb E die is the 3rd best performing memory chip on DDR4, following Micron 16Gb Rev. B in second and binned Samsung 8Gb B die in 1st. If you're wanting to overclock you're RAM, this is about as good as you can get. 

If you want to stick to 2x8GB, this should be 8Gb Rev. E: https://www.ebay.com/itm/166701495352

If you want to get a 3200MT/s XMP kit, you're likely gonna have to spend over $30 to find one, and at that point you might as well just buy new. 

7 minutes ago, PcBeExpensive said:

Is that $30 USD? Also just to drop a note, 16gb isn't really enough for most modern games and stuff.

16GB is enough for gaming in 99% of scenarios (unless you play Civ or such), it only starts to be a problem if you're using applications such as video editors or 3d modeling software.

My Build (5800X3D, RTX 3070)

disclaimer: i probably don't know what I'm talking about but I try to give the best advice I can

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I mean, if you're fine with overclocking the RAM, looking on eBay for OEM Micron Rev.E or Samsung 8Gb D die might be worth while (dual rank 4Gb E die would be even better). Both of those do much higher speeds than 3200MT/s with ease while doing OK timings (Rev.E should go slightly tighter, but not anything worth spending extra for). 

In my quick eBay search for a half decent kit, this came up: https://www.ebay.com/itm/335300048543

It's 4x4GB Samsung 4Gb E die, and a setup like that should in theory do something like 3800 CL16-20-20-40 if you run 1.5V into it assuming the board has a decent 4 DIMM memory topology. 4Gb E die is the 3rd best performing memory chip on DDR4, following Micron 16Gb Rev. B in second and binned Samsung 8Gb B die in 1st. If you're wanting to overclock you're RAM, this is about as good as you can get. 

If you want to stick to 2x8GB, this is a 8Gb Rev. E: https://www.ebay.com/itm/166701495352

If you want to get a 3200MT/s XMP kit, you're likely gonna have to spend over $30 to find one, and at that point you might as well just buy new. 

So you sure both kits u listed can hit 3200mhz, if not more? Also which one of those overclocks better? Will cooling become a concern once I hit 3200mhz+? Could I not hit 3200mhz if I start overclocking my r5 5600?  My current case has good airflow.  The b550 motherboard has 4 ram slots

If you're fine with spending $35, this kit is 3200mhz CL16 and will definitely work as opposed to possibly low binned b-die that is unstable at 3200+

Don't know how tight your budget is but for me spending $10 more than the other stuff mentioned here to get guaranteed results is worth it.

My Build (5800X3D, RTX 3070)

disclaimer: i probably don't know what I'm talking about but I try to give the best advice I can

15 minutes ago, aren332 said:

So you sure both kits u listed can hit 3200mhz, if not more?

I'd be shocked if they didn't do 4000+ individually on a good motherboard, though admittedly I'd be surprised if pretty much any 2x8GB stick didn't do at least 3200MT/s. 

Also which one of those overclocks better?

If it's two sticks vs. two sticks, it's a dead heat for max frequency, though the Samsung sticks should have a slight edge. If it's in terms of timings, they should do roughly similar primaries (down to stick to stick variance at least), with the Samsung sticks having slightly better sub-timings. However, since it's 4x4 vs. 2x8, the 4x4 kit will clock considerably worse for max frequency, but at the same time having a decently large performance per clock advantage, and since you'd ideally want to run between 3800 and 4000MT/s on an R5 5600 to be in 1:1 mode, the clock speed decrease isn't that big a deal. 

That said, the clock speed differences will depend on the motherboard, so a if you have say a B550M DS3H, that board doesn't clock 4 DIMMs very well (3600 is hit or miss), so you'd probably be better with the 2x8GB kit, whereas if you have a board that can do 3733+ with 4 DIMMs reliably, stick with the Samsung DIMMs. 

Will cooling become a concern once I hit 3200mhz+?

Depends on how much voltage you start running. If you try running 1.55V+ to potentially get say 3800 CL14 to work, then yeah, you need cooling, but if you're going for average primary timings and something like 1.4-1.45V, cooling shouldn't be necessary. 

Could I not hit 3200mhz if I start overclocking my r5 5600?

One has nothing to do with the other, though with how PBO works, you really shouldn't be overclocking a 5600 as you only really stand to lose single core performance. 

The b550 motherboard has 4 ram slots

Which one specifically? There's a big difference between say a B550 Pro4 and a B550 Master. 

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

One has nothing to do with the other, though with how PBO works, you really shouldn't be overclocking a 5600 as you only really stand to lose single core performance.

My current ddr3 ram at 2133mhz is stable when my 4790k was at 4.4ghz (stock) but when I bumped the 4790k to 4.8ghz, it wasnt stable with 2133mhz so I had to increase the timings and voltage slightly for the ram, than it became stable.

4 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Which one specifically? There's a big difference between say a B550 Pro4 and a B550 Master. 

msi mag b550m bazooka

21 minutes ago, aren332 said:

I mean, technically, though what that really means is that the memory wasn't actually stable when you were at stock, your CPU just wasn't fast enough to get the errors to show up. It's very rare for that to happen, and I've never had it happen on AMD in 1:1:1 mode, so take that for what you will. 

29 minutes ago, aren332 said:

msi mag b550m bazooka

OK, that's not the best, but it's not the worst either. It should do 3600 at the very least, and 3733 should be very doable. 3800+ might be a bit hit or miss with 4 DIMMs though, but 3733 with 4x4GB should still be faster than 3866 with 2x8 single rank, so I'd still rather the 4x4GB setup. 

On 4/9/2024 at 9:34 AM, RONOTHAN## said:

If you want to stick to 2x8GB, this should be 8Gb Rev. E: https://www.ebay.com/itm/166701495352

are the double sided e die sticks unavailable? part number is m378a1g43eb1

and how about 4gbit d die sticks? pn m378a1g43db0, all ive heard is that these sticks clock lower than e die but i dont think op is gonna be running >5000 esp not on 4 sticks

theres also hynix 4gbit afr apparently somewhat close to e die in performance and it seems to be the only 4gbit ic hynix makes so random ordering wont accidentally get you a shit ic like 4gbit t die  pn hma41gu6afr8n

im curious as to how 16gbit rev b is the 2nd best ddr4 ic cause i would have suspected something like hynix djr instead, i mean the loose trfc on 16gbit ics isnt gonna help on amd with no adjustable trefi

2 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

are the double sided e die sticks unavailable?

When I found those listings, I looked up "DDR4" on eBay and sorted price lowest first until I found something kinda OK. Those were the first two listings I deemed decent. Dual rank E die probably exists, for not much more, but seeing as I didn't see it immediately, didn't remember the part number off the top of my head (I know how to read the label to figure out the die, but I don't learn the model numbers by heart), and didn't care enough to keep looking, I figured those were good enough. 

and how about 4gbit d die sticks?

Don't know too much about them, but seeing as E die was right about the same price, I'd err towards them. 

im curious as to how 16gbit rev b is the 2nd best ddr4 ic cause i would have suspected something like hynix djr instead, i mean the loose trfc on 16gbit ics isnt gonna help on amd with no adjustable trefi

DJR doesn't do too much tighter tRFC (IIRC it's 600 vs. 500, so an improvement but both still suck), so that isn't too much of an advantage there, and for basically every other timing, Rev.B is tighter, especially for tRCD. It's to the point where a few of the Y-Cruncher rankings were actually done on Rev.B instead of B die, since it scales better with voltage due to the max mem restrictions at high voltages. DJR still wins out for frequency validations, but not by enough to make up for the timings disadvantages. 

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

DJR doesn't do too much tighter tRFC (IIRC it's 600 vs. 500, so an improvement but both still suck), so that isn't too much of an advantage there, and for basically every other timing, Rev.B is tighter, especially for tRCD. It's to the point where a few of the Y-Cruncher rankings were actually done on Rev.B instead of B die, since it scales better with voltage due to the max mem restrictions at high voltages. DJR still wins out for frequency validations, but not by enough to make up for the timings disadvantages. 

Doesnt rev b top out at only ~1.7v? Or do some sticks scale higher than that? Only result ive seen seems to top out at only 1.7v though i was looking at max freq cause someone actually managed 5400c18 stable

And im curious about the rest of the primaries aside from trcd effect on performance cause all i know is cl is a waste of voltage and frequency headroom and tras apparently doesnt do anything or do much

8 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Doesnt rev b top out at only ~1.7v? Or do some sticks scale higher than that?

From what I know there are some sticks that scale to 2V, at least when cold. Frequency I'm pretty sure does scale negatively past a certain voltage point though. I'll try and find the scores sometime tonight. 

8 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

And im curious about the rest of the primaries aside from trcd effect on performance cause all i know is cl is a waste of voltage and frequency headroom and tras apparently doesnt do anything or do much

tRCD does a bit, tCL does a bit but less, tRP doesn't do much but it does more than tRAS, tRAS does next to nothing. All the other sub-timings don't do a ton, but when all of them are minimized it does a fair bit for performance. 

On 4/11/2024 at 8:38 AM, RONOTHAN## said:

tRCD does a bit, tCL does a bit but less, tRP doesn't do much but it does more than tRAS, tRAS does next to nothing. All the other sub-timings don't do a ton, but when all of them are minimized it does a fair bit for performance. 

Basically one doesnt do very much but alot of em does a decent bit

If i bother to tune my rams for performance then subtimings are prioritized over primaries and i usually like keeping cl and tcwl loose just to lower voltage requirements and so i can push higher freq, if trfc scales then i dump all my volt into trfc =p

If cl and tcwl are at a point where they dont gobble much volt for a given freq then ill tighten abit, if im just fucking around with high voltage and the ic can scale to high volts then sure tighten cause why not just that the mobo is often quite the limiter, kinda annoying that i have to mod my x58a ud3r if i wanna toy around with 3000+ c9 cause 2.6v isnt high enough

On 4/11/2024 at 8:38 AM, RONOTHAN## said:

From what I know there are some sticks that scale to 2V, at least when cold. Frequency I'm pretty sure does scale negatively past a certain voltage point though. I'll try and find the scores sometime tonight. 

And i thought there was not much point running subzero if i wasnt aiming for some insane freq target that the ram ic im using cant hit on air

im kinda curious what subzero would do if im not yet at the sticks limit freq and timings wise, so 3000c10 stable trfc 132 at ~2.2v on my samsung gdies, aside from lowering the volt requirements for the given freq and timings what would i see running subzero? Trfc doesnt seem to scale with volt and at that freq its stuck at 96 as the lowest bootable, tras doesnt go lower than 31 otherwise instability, trcd trp lowest is 13 with a voltage bump

Only ics i have that i know will scale with cold is some trash bin green pcb psc and some double sided hynix cfr that starts degrading at only ~2v, cfr stuck at 2800c11 2.1v stable at some point (now seems to have degraded even more) and psc max booted 3150c11 2.1v at 1.7v or 1.65v vtt on my i7 930 iirc. Can running subzero make my cfrs degrade less when im running it at ~2v? Cause thats a pretty low volt to start degrading compared to my other ics and seems to be about where scaling starts hitting diminishing returns, and subzero on psc maybe ill try with a better bin kit though idk what pscs are good bin, just that 1gb sticks even if high bin are cheap so still viable, only reason im interested in psc is because its lighter on the imc than gdie so maybe i can hit 3600+ on an imc thats stuck at 3500 when i eventually find one (so far 3400 on a w3503)