RTX 4080 running really hot

SephiRock

Hello,

I have an RTX 4080 Windforce from Gigabyte, paired with a Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 6000 MT/s CL30 RAM and an MSi B650 Gaming Plus Wifi motherboard.

From what i heard, the Windforce lineup is one of the worst there is, and I admit that I bought the "cheapest" 4080 i saw when i built this PC. Recently, something came to my attention : it seems to be running really hot compared to other 4080.
On the OCCT 3D test, with shader complexity at 3 and error detection, I'm around 77-78°C, with the hotspot almost at 100°C. On Furmark 2, I get similar results.
I was just wondering if that is something to be expected, or if I should worry. I couldn't find a lot of thermal data on this specific card, since it doesn't seem to be very popular.
Any advice is welcomed, thank you !

2 minutes ago, SephiRock said:

Hello,

I have an RTX 4080 Windforce from Gigabyte, paired with a Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 6000 MT/s CL30 RAM and an MSi B650 Gaming Plus Wifi motherboard.

From what i heard, the Windforce lineup is one of the worst there is, and I admit that I bought the "cheapest" 4080 i saw when i built this PC. Recently, something came to my attention : it seems to be running really hot compared to other 4080.
On the OCCT 3D test, with shader complexity at 3 and error detection, I'm around 77-78°C, with the hotspot almost at 100°C. On Furmark 2, I get similar results.
I was just wondering if that is something to be expected, or if I should worry. I couldn't find a lot of thermal data on this specific card, since it doesn't seem to be very popular.
Any advice is welcomed, thank you !

The temperatures are warm but well within spec for safe operation.  Furmark really stresses the GPU and is an unrealistic load, you won't see this high temp in games I bet.

I have the Gaming X Trio 4080 from MSI and I have never seen my card above 65c with 45% fanspeed.

I do have a fan on the bottom of my case blowing fresh air straight into the GPU however.

6 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

The temperatures are warm but well within spec for safe operation.  Furmark really stresses the GPU and is an unrealistic load, you won't see this high temp in games I bet.

I have the Gaming X Trio 4080 from MSI and I have never seen my card above 65c with 45% fanspeed.

I do have a fan on the bottom of my case blowing fresh air straight into the GPU however.

Thank you for your answer !

Wouldn't be against other inputs from other people 🙂

One thing i forgot to mention : my core frequency also drops a lot.

With OCCT, it drops to around 2200 MHz at max power (~320W)

On Furmark 2, it drops even lower to 1900 MHz

3 minutes ago, SephiRock said:

One thing i forgot to mention : my core frequency also drops a lot.

With OCCT, it drops to around 2200 MHz at max power (~320W)

On Furmark 2, it drops even lower to 1900 MHz

Can you run the tests again with the fan speed manually set to 100% and with the sidepanel off to see if the core frequency still drop?

If the frequency drop while still at low temperature then its not temperature related.

1 minute ago, Hinjima said:

Can you run the tests again with the fan speed manually set to 100% and with the sidepanel off to see if the core frequency still drop?

Which one ? And what do you mean by side panel ?

1 minute ago, SephiRock said:

Which one ? And what do you mean by side panel ?

Run Furmark 2 and see if the frequency stay at 2700 like they should.
The PC Case's sidepanel.  This is to increase the fresh air the GPU can draw to keep it cooler while doing this 'test'.

6 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Run Furmark 2 and see if the frequency stay at 2700 like they should.
The PC Case's sidepanel.  This is to increase the fresh air the GPU can draw to keep it cooler while doing this 'test'.

By doing this, with both Furmark 2 and OCCT, i notice something like a +150 MHz gain over the frequencies i mentioned above, which i would guess is a result of the lower temps.
But it's still way below the expected 2700 MHz (which i'm able to reach in bencmarks like Port Royal, for example)

1 minute ago, SephiRock said:

By doing this, with both Furmark 2 and OCCT, i notice something like a +150 MHz gain over the frequencies i mentioned above, which i would guess is a result of the lower temps.
But it's still way below the expected 2700 MHz (which i'm able to reach in bencmarks like Port Royal, for example)

What about during normal gaming where it really matters?
Stresstests are an unrealistic load compared to games.

If you get good FPS and clockspeed during gaming then thats all that matters unless you do intense GPU workloads of course.

What about during normal gaming where it really matters?
Stresstests are an unrealistic load compared to games.

If you get good FPS and clockspeed during gaming then thats all that matters unless you do intense GPU workloads of course.

I don't play that much AAA heavy games these days. I'll download CP77 and check this out.

And you're right, normally I wouldn't worry too much about this if this was something I would only encounter during stress tests. It's just that i've been running into weird things with this build (unexplained rare microstutters that don't seem to be related to temps for example), so there's this thing in my head wondering if my GPU could be faulty.

8 minutes ago, SephiRock said:

I don't play that much AAA heavy games these days. I'll download CP77 and check this out.

And you're right, normally I wouldn't worry too much about this if this was something I would only encounter during stress tests. It's just that i've been running into weird things with this build (unexplained rare microstutters that don't seem to be related to temps for example), so there's this thing in my head wondering if my GPU could be faulty.

Is everything up to date like BIOS, Chipset drivers etc?  Microstutters can happen with any build.

Is everything up to date like BIOS, Chipset drivers etc?  Microstutters can happen with any build.

Everything is up to date indeed, and windows 11 is very fresh. I already clean installed it numerous times to try to fix those, and in the end i kinda gave up / told myself i should just live with it since it's so hard to diagnose haha.

I was just wondering about this temp issue that came to my attention yesterday.

39 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

If you get good FPS and clockspeed during gaming then thats all that matters unless you do intense GPU workloads of course

So I was able to quickly test things in Cyberpunk, running around in the city.
Thermals are better than during stresstests, but still around 72-73°C at power limit. The core frequency however, is much better, ocillating around 2700 MHz (it goes from 2650 to 2750 I would say).
So ye, no major issue during gaming it seems, besides the weird rare microstuttering, but I just can't get to know where that comes from lmao.

7 minutes ago, SephiRock said:

So I was able to quickly test things in Cyberpunk, running around in the city.
Thermals are better than during stresstests, but still around 72-73°C at power limit. The core frequency however, is much better, ocillating around 2700 MHz (it goes from 2650 to 2750 I would say).
So ye, no major issue during gaming it seems, besides the weird rare microstuttering, but I just can't get to know where that comes from lmao.

Okay thats good 🙂  
What refreshrate is your monitor, does it have Gsync?

Just now, Hinjima said:

Okay thats good 🙂  
What refreshrate is your monitor, does it have Gsync?

I have 2 monitors, my main one is g-sync compatible and 165 Hz 1440p, my secondary one is 144 Hz 1080p.

From what I can remember, I tried a lot of things, including disabling g-sync, but it doesn't help.

Also I have the weirdest bug of all, since I'm here, might as well talk about it.

If I'm playing FF XIV, or any game it seems (same thing happens with Elden Ring) and I boot a program that has hardware acceleration, alsmot exactly 2 minutes after the program's startup, I get a second-long freeze in game. Everytime.

Which is so weird to me.

The weirdest thing of all : it also happens on my previous build, which has nothing in common (7700 K, win10, 3060ti...).

There too, disabling things like g-sync doesn't help.

I don't know if all those are related, but it's still pretty weird.

Regarding the core frequency drop during test, do you think it might purely be related to temps, and that it's normal ?

In any case, thanks for helping man, I appreciate it. 🙂

26 minutes ago, SephiRock said:

I have 2 monitors, my main one is g-sync compatible and 165 Hz 1440p, my secondary one is 144 Hz 1080p.

From what I can remember, I tried a lot of things, including disabling g-sync, but it doesn't help.

Also I have the weirdest bug of all, since I'm here, might as well talk about it.

If I'm playing FF XIV, or any game it seems (same thing happens with Elden Ring) and I boot a program that has hardware acceleration, alsmot exactly 2 minutes after the program's startup, I get a second-long freeze in game. Everytime.

Which is so weird to me.

The weirdest thing of all : it also happens on my previous build, which has nothing in common (7700 K, win10, 3060ti...).

There too, disabling things like g-sync doesn't help.

I don't know if all those are related, but it's still pretty weird.

Regarding the core frequency drop during test, do you think it might purely be related to temps, and that it's normal ?

In any case, thanks for helping man, I appreciate it. 🙂

Regarding the frequency it can be temperature but seeing it drop that far down in clockspeeds makes me think its something else. Its a bit strange but as long as it doesn't happen during normal gaming I wouldn't worry the slightest.

I might have a fix for your stutters, I'v been doing this for years and its helped a lot with Gsync monitors and Nvidia GPU.

If your 165hz monitor is 144hz but 165hz overclocked, don't overclock it and leave it at 144hz.

In the Nvidia control panel I want you to enable Vsync and limit the framerate to 141 fps ( dont ask 😛 )

Try this and see if the stutters improve a little.

image.png.cbf6e25c3fa45be543a71f739468b7cc.png

image.png.352264de636577c6f28edccf6c652091.png

22 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Regarding the frequency it can be temperature but seeing it drop that far down in clockspeeds makes me think its something else. Its a bit strange but as long as it doesn't happen during normal gaming I wouldn't worry the slightest.

I might have a fix for your stutters, I'v been doing this for years and its helped a lot with Gsync monitors and Nvidia GPU.

If your 165hz monitor is 144hz but 165hz overclocked, don't overclock it and leave it at 144hz.

In the Nvidia control panel I want you to enable Vsync and limit the framerate to 141 fps ( dont ask 😛 )

Your temps are very high indeed, and imo not normal, even a low-end 4080 has a big cooler and 3 fans and should stay cooler than that 

Either your PC has bad airflow and temps inside get hot, or the card has bad paste application/ bad contact imo

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

10 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Your temps are very high indeed, and imo not normal, even a low-end 4080 has a big cooler and 3 fans and should stay cooler than that 

Either your PC has bad airflow and temps inside get hot, or the card has bad paste application/ bad contact imo

Saw a few reviews on youtube regarding the 4080/S windforce and they are also running in the high 70's in terms of core temp on that card.

1 hour ago, Hinjima said:

Haha, nice try but I already know about the blurbusters 😛
I'm limitting my fps with RTSS, and saw no improvement when using the nvpanel limiter so i'm keeping it. I also tried it at 144 Hz, but it doesn't help either.

Regarding my temps I don't really know what to do. I tried to watch as many reviews as possible, but didn't find much, don't hesitate so send me some if you want to.
If my temps are really not normal, should I try to RMA the GPU ?

8 hours ago, SephiRock said:

Haha, nice try but I already know about the blurbusters 😛
I'm limitting my fps with RTSS, and saw no improvement when using the nvpanel limiter so i'm keeping it. I also tried it at 144 Hz, but it doesn't help either.

Regarding my temps I don't really know what to do. I tried to watch as many reviews as possible, but didn't find much, don't hesitate so send me some if you want to.
If my temps are really not normal, should I try to RMA the GPU ?

Try undervolting the GPU. It should fix temp issues without much dip in performance 

16 hours ago, SephiRock said:

both occt and furmark are can break the cards, not worth the risk and not what i'd personally sure for any kind of benchmark, just use 3d mark and actual games (cyberpunk2077, helldivers etc)

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

51 minutes ago, xg32 said:

both occt and furmark are can break the cards, not worth the risk and not what i'd personally sure for any kind of benchmark, just use 3d mark and actual games (cyberpunk2077, helldivers etc)

Ye i've heard stories about cards being fried by furmark but i think those stories are a bit old

from my understanding, nowadays cards would just throttle to avoid damage

but you're right, what really matters is realistic usage, aka gaming, and in both 3dmark and games, my clocks seem normal so i'm just gonna leave it like that 🙂