The DDU question (for likely the 1000th time)

Simple question, looking to finally upgrade from the old EVGA 2080 (RIP EVGA GPU division) and for the first time looking at switching out to team red, deciding between the 7900 GRE (probably a NITRO+) or a 4070 Super (likely the Gigabyte Eagle ICE).

I haven't switched brands for GPU's as of yet so was wondering if DDU is really necessary to run before switching brands based off what reading I have done for it.

Trying figure out the logistics of what I will need hardware, software and knowledge wise before pulling the trigger on either one. 

I know for the 4070 Super I need to get something to go from two 8 pin connectors to the the Nvidia 16 pin (cause screw you for having a slightly older PSU, Corsair MWE Gold 850 V2) and basically from my experience is otherwise plug and play given I already run a Nvidia card. 

Any assistance with this information would be appreciated. 

Thanks. 

It's always worth it to just do it if you're on the fence with it, clears out all the old drivers and junk. It should be, for the most part, plug and play, but it's always good to exercise digital cleanliness :^)

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

46 minutes ago, Ashercrasher said:

I haven't switched brands for GPU's as of yet so was wondering if DDU is really necessary to run before switching brands based off what reading I have done for it.

Not strictly necessary, but highly recommended. It helps remove any sort of potential issues you might run into in the future for driver conflict, so while Windows has gotten better and it's less likely to cause issues as it had been in the past, it's still potentially problematic and usually worth doing. It only takes 5 minutes to run through DDU and install the new drivers, you might as well. 

Running DDU is really only strictly necessary if switching GPU brands (eg AMD to NVIDIA and vice versa), if switching between different AIBs of the same GPU brand, say from EVGA NVIDIA card to a Gigabyte NVIDIA card, just plop it in and maybe install the latest drivers for the newer GPU.

Noelle best girl

PC specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 V2 64.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard, BIOS P4.60
Memory: ADATA XPG 32GB GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: HP EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, PNY CS900 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Colorful iGame RTX 4060 Ti 16GB
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11a/b/g/n PCIe x1 Wifi adapter
Monitor: Acer QG240Y S3 24.0" 1920 x 1080 180Hz Monitor

I've had AMD+Nvidia graphics drivers running together for ages and never had an issue, both desktop and laptop. I would say that if you run into an issue with the drivers not playing nicely together, then DDU, but it shouldn't be required.

(Yes, I am very much aware of the numerous videos that have been done showing that up to a 10% performance gain can be had by doing it, but I have never aspired to be, nor had the hardware to be a competitive e-sports god where that 10% is going to make or break my ability).

Gre deffo the better card especially the nitro with a overclock 

and ddu for sure 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper