laptop uses allot of ram.

orze

i got a new laptop. i got 16gb of ram.

my first time with win11 so i wont be surprised if thats the reason. but the pc uses over 7gb of the 16 on idle.

the second i turn anything on it maxes. pc turns slow. its getting annoying for a 2500$ laptop.

i made a clean install of windows cus i dont trust asus or any other company's to not bloat the shit out of it so i doubt its any other program.

worse part is i was told to chack what uses it and the most harsh program working was adobe taking 200k. so i dont understand where the rest of the 7000MB went to.

laptop is the g713PI with the 7945hx. 

so ddr5  memory as well. am i missing somthing?

i was thinking about upgrading the ram but 16 shouldn't be that much of a bottleneck in my eyes

cpu: 5950x

mobo: asus tuf pro x570

gpu: 3090 FE 

ram: 32gb G.SKILL Trident Z 3200 c14

psu: Antec HCP1300w Platinum (overkill i know...got it for a good price)

thats all needed right?...i didnt study for this exam....

5 minutes ago, orze said:

worse part is i was told to chack what uses it and the most harsh program working was adobe taking 200k. so i dont understand where the rest of the 7000MB went to.

200k seems quite low, you sure it wasn't 200 MB? In any case, please provide some screenshots from Task Manager's details page, sorted by memory usage, or better yet from Resource Monitor. That will give you a more detailed breakdown.

i was thinking about upgrading the ram but 16 shouldn't be that much of a bottleneck in my eyes

16 GB is sort of entry level in 2024.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

20 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

200k seems quite low, you sure it wasn't 200 MB? In any case, please provide some screenshots from Task Manager's details page, sorted by memory usage, or better yet from Resource Monitor. That will give you a more detailed breakdown.

16 GB is sort of entry level in 2024.

this is what i got so this is showing 97% use....out of 16gb.

that's oncourse with programs open. but u can take down about 7gb of use and u get my idle

so im vary confused where the fuck that ram is hiding.

image.png.b3d3b9647b6a19376a670df9920eae6b.pngimage.png.9e45331d22b9831b7ebdb8f93786107c.png

2 minutes ago, orze said:

this is what i got so this is showing 97% use....out of 16gb.

that's oncourse with programs open. but u can take down about 7gb of use and u get my idle

so im vary confused where the fuck that ram is hiding.

Task Manager can't list everything, for example you won't find information like memory reserved for the iGPU here. Similar you won't see memory used by something like a virtual machine, drivers or disk caches.

If you switch to the Performance tab and click on memory, you should see memory used by the iGPU as "hardware reserved". There should also be a button to open Resource Monitor. That one will give you a more detailed breakdown.

5 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Task Manager can't list everything, for example you won't find information like memory reserved for the iGPU here. Similar you won't see memory used by something like a virtual machine, drivers or disk caches.

If you switch to the Performance tab and click on memory, you should see memory used by the iGPU as "hardware reserved". There should also be a button to open Resource Monitor. That one will give you a more detailed breakdown.

i do have an igpu cus its a laptop but its also not being used.

can that effect my preformnce that much?

3 minutes ago, orze said:

i do have an igpu cus its a laptop but its also not being used.

can that effect my preformnce that much?

Depends on how much memory is reserved for the iGPU. Since the machine also has a discrete GPU, I would assume it's not configured very high, but wouldn't hurt to check the machine's BIOS settings to make sure. Or have a look at "Hardware Reserved" in task manager.

If you click on the iGPU in Task Manager it'll tell you how much dedicated/shared RAM it's using. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

On 4/6/2024 at 4:11 PM, Kilrah said:

If you click on the iGPU in Task Manager it'll tell you how much dedicated/shared RAM it's using. 

seems like 512mb I THINK