Ryzen 8700G vs 7700 for software development

I am planning to upgrade my desktop after more than 10 years now. I would be using it primarily for software development. I generally work off of docker containers, have multiple instances of IDEs running and some browser tabs open. 

I plan to keep this new setup for at least 7-8 years from now and hence would like to future proof it somewhat. I won't be gaming currently but may occasionally game in the future (though not heavily). 

I am planning to get only the CPU, memory and motherboard as I have the other components already. 

Here is what I have in mind:
Memory: Crucial Pro 32GB (2*16) 6000MHZ

Motherboard: MSI B650M Gaming Wifi

I am confused between the Ryzen 8700G ($329) and the 7700 ($284). The 8700G has better graphics (which might be enough for my light gaming in the future?) but has limited PCI lanes which might not be the best option if I want to add a dedicated GPU later (at least 4-5 years down the line). On the other hand, 7700 is cheaper by $45, double the L3 cache (32MB) than 8700G (16MB) and also has better support for a GPU down the line. Do you think the 7700's extra L3 cache would help my workload?

The 8700G is the max I can stretch my budget to. I also don't want to get the AM4 platform even if it provides me better value since I will be keeping this setup for a long time. 

I would appreciate any suggestions on 8700G vs 7700 for my workload. 

Thank you!

CPU:Intel Core i3 3210 Mobo:MSI B75MA-E33  GPU:Intel 2500 HD Graphics  SSD:Adata SP600 128gb  HDD:Seagate 1tb 7200rpm  

PSU:Corsair CX430   Case:Antec ASK4000bU3  Monitor:Dell S2240l 21.5 inch 1080p

21 minutes ago, shanmu54321 said:

Do you think the 7700's extra L3 cache would help my workload?

It should help a bit (some code compilations can act as a cache benchmark), the extra clock speed would probably help a little bit as well. 

The 7700 and a $50 GPU used off eBay is going to be the better move here if you want a bit of extra gaming performance. An RX 580 8GB is faster than the 8700G's iGPU for about $60 (if you shop around at least), so it would cost about the same and you'd get better performance overall. 

21 minutes ago, shanmu54321 said:

Avoid this kit, the timings it has are terrible so the performance it offers will be terrible. Plus Micron DDR5 has been known to have some compatibility issues with AM5 unless you're on the latest BIOS, so I'd try to avoid Crucial sticks no matter what. A kit like this is worth the extra $5: https://a.co/d/eBX3Gtj

Plus if you do decide to go for the 8700G, you want faster memory. These CPUs due to a combination of the less cache and the fact that the iGPU needs a lot of memory bandwidth are very sensitive to memory performance, so you want as fast a kit as you can afford, and probably want to overclock it as well to get as fast memory as you can possibly afford.

5 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Plus if you do decide to go for the 8700G, you want faster memory. These CPUs due to a combination of the less cache and the fact that the iGPU needs a lot of memory bandwidth are very sensitive to memory performance, so you want as fast a kit as you can afford, and probably want to overclock it as well to get as fast memory as you can possibly afford.

basically youd wanna buy a 6400c32 bin or a 5600c46 teamgroup elite / klevv kit which are hynix a die

frequency target anywhere from 8000 - 10000 ddr5 depending on cpu bin but id aim for atleast 9000, may or may not need a ram fan depending on what volt youll be running

mobo wise not sure about 4dimmers but a 2dimmer like the b650m hdv or x670e gene can do 10000+ so make sure the board can run high freq

i wouldnt really reccomend an 8600g/8700g though since a 7700(x) + a used rx 580 will perform better and the cpu itself has more cache and a little more oc capability whilst not being gimped performance wise if you run xmp/tuned 6000-6400 ddr5 since thats what 1:1 uclk tops out at on the cpus, just alot less hassle overall not having to deal with tuning rams or having volatile rams that need a ram fan due to high volt + freq

if i had the money i would totally buy one of these just for fun but thats just me being an oc nut wanting to have fun with high freq rams, anyone that wants better performance at a better price whilst not having to deal with the hassle of tuning is better off with a ryzen cpu paired with a used gpu unless theyre building a miniscule sff system that has no dgpu bit in that case you might aswell just buy a beelink or some other mini pc thatll be even smaller

3 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

but id aim for atleast 9000

That's optimistic at best, my 8600G won't even do 8400 reliably for full stability. They have a better IMC than the normal Ryzen 7000 chips, but not that much better. 

24 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

That's optimistic at best, my 8600G won't even do 8400 reliably for ful

l stability. They have a better IMC than the normal Ryzen 7000 chips, but not that much better. 

well thats just depressing

what board btw? and how are you so sure that youve hit imc limit and not a boardlimit?

if the imcs really vary that much maybe ill have to bin cpus to get one with a decent imc capable of 9000-10000, same thing as me binning these x58 bloomfield chips but over 100x more expensive per chip, though i guess i could just resell the bad chips unlike these basically worthless w3503 but these are 70¢ each ¯\_ (ツ) _/¯ 

i mean cezzane can do 5000+ in 1:1 whilst vermeer is stuck at 3800-4000 though vermeer and matisse have the same i/o die and renoir was only capable of 4400-4600 1:1 so maybe similar situation here and we just have to wait for next gen apus with better imcs thatll consistently do ~10000 or higher

6 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

what board btw?

B650M-HDV/M.2.

7 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

and how are you so sure that youve hit imc limit and not a boardlimit?

It has retraining issues where it passes stress tests for 24 hours then fails within 10 minutes after a reboot, that's usually an IMC issue. Besides, I've only seen one setup that has passed stress tests at 9000, and its stability testing was minimal at best (100% TestMemPro, no Y-Cruncher, TestMem5, Karhu, etc.). 

7 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

B650M-HDV/M.2. 

It has retraining issues where it passes stress tests for 24 hours then fails within 10 minutes after a reboot, that's usually an IMC issue. Besides, I've only seen one setup that has passed stress tests at 9000, and its stability testing was minimal at best (100% TestMemPro, no Y-Cruncher, TestMem5, Karhu, etc.). 

i guess it really is just like renoir and maybe even a tad worse, looks like we are gonna have to wait till next gen for stable 10000+ atleast consistently or without chilling

welp if i do actually get money in the very near future maybe ill opt for a cpu instead of an apu if it cant even do atleast 9000

Thank you guys for the suggestions. Much Appreciated!

I guess it makes sense to go for the 7700 and spend some extra money to get better memory. 

CPU:Intel Core i3 3210 Mobo:MSI B75MA-E33  GPU:Intel 2500 HD Graphics  SSD:Adata SP600 128gb  HDD:Seagate 1tb 7200rpm  

PSU:Corsair CX430   Case:Antec ASK4000bU3  Monitor:Dell S2240l 21.5 inch 1080p

9 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

i guess it really is just like renoir and maybe even a tad worse, looks like we are gonna have to wait till next gen for stable 10000+ atleast consistently or without chilling

welp if i do actually get money in the very near future maybe ill opt for a cpu instead of an apu if it cant even do atleast 9000

For the OPs use-case, I see no good reason to go above 6000, as AMD themselves recommend.

Gamers Nexus even only use 6000 CL30-36-36-76 for benchmarking.  You really don't want to be pushing your luck when its only low-end gaming and mostly productivity you are doing.

Last thing you want when doing development is to have failures that turn out to be from pushing the RAM too hard.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7