Motherboard came with no antennas

ryanmate543

Picked up a Gigabyte b650m gaming wifi motherboard off ebay but the wifi antennas were missing. Found these on amazon https://www.amazon.com.au/, and just wondering if these are the ones to go for, or if there are antennas that will provide better performance. Living in Australia speeds are only at 100mbps download so no need for anything crazy, but i don’t want to be dropping below the max

1 minute ago, tkitch said:

those'd work fine, antenna are antenna for the most part.

Thanks

Yup, they look fine.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

if those were actually 8dbi, theyd have an elevation beam width of like 15 degrees lmao, better hope youre on the same floor as the access point.
but really, amazon is amazon and without a datasheet, you can assume its junk that barely works to any spec anyway.

at the end of it if you are close enough to your router, in the same room or maybe one wall over, it doesnt matter what you use for antennas.
the wifi built onto the board will be the limiting factor.

7 hours ago, ryanmate543 said:

Picked up a Gigabyte b650m gaming wifi motherboard off ebay but the wifi antennas were missing. Found these on amazon https://www.amazon.com.au/, and just wondering if these are the ones to go for, or if there are antennas that will provide better performance. Living in Australia speeds are only at 100mbps download so no need for anything crazy, but i don’t want to be dropping below the max

You're much better off getting ones with wires on the end, so you can place it on top of the PC for better reception.   There are usually people selling them on eBay as they are common to come provided with higher-end motherboards.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

You're much better off getting ones with wires on the end, so you can place it on top of the PC for better reception.   There are usually people selling them on eBay as they are common to come provided with higher-end motherboards.

Thanks, I’ve gone ahead on ordered those ones earlier today and I’m pretty close to my router, but if performance isn’t great i’ll definitely look for one of these.