Location sharing from iPhone to Android

Hello 馃檪

Recently, a family member started sharing their iPhone location with me via Apple Family Sharing.

I'm not familiar with Family Sharing nor with location sharing in general and only begin to figure out what can and cannot be done. Excuse my ignorance.

I'm a mac user and I figured I can see their current location using the Apple Maps app on macOS.

However, I am not an iPhone user (I use Android). Is there any way I could see their location on my android phone?

聽- There isn't any Apple Maps app for android AFAIK

聽- There isn't any Apple find My app for android AFAIK

聽- I believe I read somewhere that Apple made an android apps so that airtag users could detect them with android phones. Is that right? Would that be helpful in my situation? Could this app be used to share location from iPhone to Android?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Best,

-a-

PS: I figured I could also share my location between iPhone and Android (both ways) using Google Maps. however this doesn't seem to be very reliable (at least when trying to share continuously). I'm currently evaluating this option.

There are third party apps (Like Life360*) that share locations cross-platform; I'd recommend asking your family to all agree on one app.

*as a previous Life360 user, the app is full of upsells on "Premium plans" and also they sell your location data, so I would recommend something different.

I use google maps. There is a setting you can always share your location with a contact

5950X/3080Ti primary rig聽 |聽 1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers聽 |聽 200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

22 hours ago, OddOod said:

I use google maps. There is a setting you can always share your location with a contact

Yup I tried that but it's quite unreliable. Sometimes it works well and sometimes there are hours without any update for the location.

I don't know why.

58 minutes ago, asheenlevrai said:

Yup I tried that but it's quite unreliable. Sometimes it works well and sometimes there are hours without any update for the location.

I don't know why.

Likely because iOS is suspending it in the background. It will likely do that for any location sharing service. It's how Apple keeps such decent battery life

5950X/3080Ti primary rig聽 |聽 1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers聽 |聽 200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

15 hours ago, OddOod said:

Likely because iOS is suspending it in the background. It will likely do that for any location sharing service. It's how Apple keeps such decent battery life

Damn... Is there any way to override that? Battery life is not a big issue in this case for us.

4 hours ago, asheenlevrai said:

Is there any way to override that?

Potentially. I'd look at battery stuff on the phone settings and if that doesn't work you could maybe make a shortcut for them that launches maps or something.