Buying a used 3070ti - PSU Question

TheGeeker

Hi all,

Found what I think is a great deal on a FE 3070ti for $280USD on FB Marketplace. My test bench system has a 500w PSU and a 4770k. Obviously a 500W PSU isnt good long term but it should be fine to test the cards function right? Just gonna plug it in and make sure it outputs. Do I need to run 3DMark? Not sure that's necessary.

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

15 minutes ago, TheGeeker said:

Hi all,

Found what I think is a great deal on a FE 3070ti for $280USD on FB Marketplace. My test bench system has a 500w PSU and a 4770k. Obviously a 500W PSU isnt good long term but it should be fine to test the cards function right? Just gonna plug it in and make sure it outputs. Do I need to run 3DMark? Not sure that's necessary.

You can definitely run the 3070ti on a 500w without any load.

You can of course try 3Dmark or Unigen Heaven to check that it works under load but the PC might crash, the 3070ti draws 290w under full load so you should be good.

What exact 500w do you have? Some are so bad I wouldn't even dare trying.

48 minutes ago, TheGeeker said:

Hi all,

Like Hinjima said, we need the exact model. Also, I saw GPUs fail in Heaven but pass in Furmark. There are different loads to test the GPU. I would recommend running at least 3 for a period of time. It would also be nice to upgrade your CPU; you would lose performance, even in high resolutions.

39 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

You can definitely run the 3070ti on a 500w without any load.

You can of course try 3Dmark or Unigen Heaven to check that it works under load but the PC might crash, the 3070ti draws 290w under full load so you should be good.

What exact 500w do you have? Some are so bad I wouldn't even dare trying.

Its an older EVGA one.  My main PSU is a Seasonic 850w so no issue there, just that case is so large it would be a hassle to take it to test on a facebook deal. 

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

7 minutes ago, BoomerL4D said:

Like Hinjima said, we need the exact model. Also, I saw GPUs fail in Heaven but pass in Furmark. There are different loads to test the GPU. I would recommend running at least 3 for a period of time. It would also be nice to upgrade your CPU; you would lose performance, even in high resolutions.

Yeah this is just in the test system I was going to bring. My main rig is a 12600k.

56 minutes ago, TheGeeker said:

Hi all,

id just pay the 70$ ish extra for a 3080 or save some cash and get a non ti

the ti is barely any better than the non ti

2 minutes ago, TheGeeker said:

Its an older EVGA one.  My main PSU is a Seasonic 850w so no issue there, just that case is so large it would be a hassle to take it to test on a facebook deal. 

Should be alright 🙂  Just be aware that the RTX 3000 series do sometimes spike quite high in power.

The Seasonic 850w should be plenty long term as you mention.

Just dont want to risk damage to the card with a low tier 500w since you haven't bought it yet.

EVGA has made some terrible PSU's like the N1 [4] / N2 – W1 and BV – W2 / W2 / W3 series.

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

id just pay the 70$ ish extra for a 3080 or save some cash and get a non ti

the ti is barely any better than the non ti

Is it not worth it to buy a 3070ti for $280 USD? I've found used 3080s to be a lot more expensive. Used prices for a 3070ti seem to be about $100 higher

7 minutes ago, TheGeeker said:

Will work...

3 minutes ago, TheGeeker said:

Is it not worth it to buy a 3070ti for $280 USD? I've found used 3080s to be a lot more expensive. Used prices for a 3070ti seem to be about $100 higher

not at all

if used 3080 are that much more expensive look for a used 3070/6700xt instead and save your money

1 hour ago, BoomerL4D said:

This illustrates why Furmark is a terrible program to use, and needs to die. It almost has no use except maybe to see how much power the card might draw. It is not a stability test by any means.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2 hours ago, TheGeeker said:

Hi all,

You definitely should be putting it under some significant and realistic load. Just simply outputting to a display isn't enough. Programs to use, in addition to using 3DMark, are GravityMark and Superposition. Furmark(and any derivatives) have no place here.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch