Old graphic card Gtx 780

There’s a gtx 780 on marketplace for 70 nzd and my friends said not to buy it even though it’s as good as a 1650 in lower end games because apparently all the old nvidia graphics cards below the 2000 series aren’t being supported anymore is this true??? And should I buy the card??

900 series GPUs and newer are still supported for now, but 700 series GPUs, like the GTX 780, are no longer supported. That doesn't mean they just stopped working, but over time they will support fewer and fewer games as new games are released and older ones are updated with newer technologies. I would lean towards a GTX 1060 or an RX 480/580 if they are similar in price. Even an RX 470 will probably outperform a GTX 780.

I don't know what your country is like on power costs, but even though the raw power of this card might be equivalent, the power usage is hugely different and there's no guarantee how it will hold up in games if it lacks modern features. You're also buying a card that is over 10 years old, with whatever wear that entails!

That said, you're not going to get much for $40. How much is a GTX 1050 or RX 460?

I would avoid a gtx 780 as driver support ended a while ago meaning it has no optimizations for newer games and in some games wont work at all due to not having a new enough driver or work badly.

Loose from that it only has 3gb of vram which is very little these days.

Id opt for an 8gb rx480/580 WAY faster and usually quite cheap.

Also a gtx 780 didnt age gracefully as the last generation hd 7970 caught up to it and started challe ging the 780ti due to consistent driver performance updates.

Id not waste money on a 780 at all

14 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Id opt for an 8gb rx480/580 WAY faster and usually quite cheap.

^^^

4gb variants also exist incase the 8gb ones are pricey, also dont buy anything lower than the 70 cards since the 60 and 50 cards are massive downgrades while the 70 80 and 90 are pretty close in performance

and the 1650 gets beaten by the 570/580, better off buying a 1070 or 5600xt/5700 for the same price

1 hour ago, Void_dweller_ said:

There’s a gtx 780 on marketplace for 70 nzd and my friends said not to buy it even though it’s as good as a 1650 in lower end games because apparently all the old nvidia graphics cards below the 2000 series aren’t being supported anymore is this true??? And should I buy the card??

Yeah there not supported... GTX chips arent being made, but the drivers are still workable

System Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x 8-Core Processor

Memory: 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4

SSD: WD_BLACK SN770 1TB

GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 12G oc

Motherboard: Asus Prime B-450 A2

Case: MuseTex k2 Mid Tower

Monitor 1: Samsung SyncMaster S27D360

Monitor 2: Samsung Syncmaster S27B350

Keyboard: Razer Onata

Mouse: Razer Viper

9 hours ago, ThePCNerd129 said:

Yeah there not supported... GTX chips arent being made, but the drivers are still workable

The gtx series only just ended and plenry have driver support just the 780 here doesnt anymore and games moved on