PNY GeForce RTX 4090 24GB XLR8 freeze

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Last July (2023) I purchased a PNY GeForce RTX 4090 24GB XLR8 and promptly installed it into my system:

ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus WiFi AM4 ATX 

AMD Ryzen 9 5950x

32GB DDR4 6000

Thermaltake 850W

Playing some games it would randomly freeze (game screen was up but nothing happening), and I could not use Ctrl+Alt+Delete or anything else and sometimes after a few minutes the computer would re-start.  Upon the advice of a friend I ended up replacing the power supply with a Thermaltake 1200W power supply as I suspected that it might be drawing too much power under load.  The new power supply changed nothing, so I RMA'd the card back to PNY.  They ended up sending it back to me saying that they could detect no issues and it worked just fine on their test bench.  Fast forward to this week as I decided to just replace everything except for the video cards and power supply.  This is what I have now:

MSI X670E Gaming Plus WiFi

AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D

CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 64GB 6400MHz CL32

ARTIC Liquid Freezer III 360

Antec Performance 1 Full Tower

Thermaltake 1200W

PNY GeForce RTX 4090 24GB XLR8

I completed the build last night and the freezes are still present.  I was playing Call of Duty: Warzone last night and it happened yet again.  What is strange is that some games that I play don't exhibit this issue.  I can play Horizon Forbidden West for hours with no issues but Warzone freezes within 10 minutes.  I have had my computer freeze while I am not playing games as well; sometimes I can be using Chrome and white squares will appear on the screen and it will freeze.  I also notice in the Event Viewer the dreaded "nvlddmkm -> \Device\video3 error.  "I am at a loss as to what could be causing this.

Troubleshooting steps I have tried:

Replacing the power supply

using DDU and re-installing the NVIDIA drivers

RE-installing Windows

Changing the permission for the files in the System32 directory (from another forum)

Monitoring GPU and CPU temps (they never go above 70C)

Any help would be appreciated.

ill try to find it but someone else had this exact problem, your not alone i beilive his was a rog strix 4090

51 minutes ago, BentleyOwen123 said:

his is a gigabyte nvm but here      

I did re-flash my BIOS last night but I did not try to game after it was installed.  PNY is stingy with their BIOS updates, so they only have 1 listed for my card.  I will try to game tonight and see if the updated BIOS made any difference.

so since its probably not the card (can you test it in a known to be good system?) you already changed the psu... truth is, issues like that are often caused by unstable or not fully compatible ram...

if it was me, get a b550 board, a 5800x3d,  2x16gb of Samsung BDIE ram and be over with.

ddr5 platforms are still very immature and well, you gotta pay the price for that, or use a more established platform with similar performance thats cheaper. 

as said, if it was me... (well actually that's what im doing and i couldn't be happier! )

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

holy shit i just realized, you were running your first ram at ddr4 6000mhz, that really high for ddr4, i didnt actually think that was possible

4 minutes ago, BentleyOwen123 said:

holy shit i just realized, you were running your first ram at ddr4 6000mhz, that really high for ddr4, i didnt actually think that was possible

ya... 99% ram issue lol

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

try tuning your ram back to something even somewhat reasonable, like 3600 and try again

1 hour ago, BentleyOwen123 said:

ok, is the card still under warrenty

Probably, but they said that it tested just fine when I sent it in late last year.

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

so since its probably not the card (can you test it in a known to be good system?) you already changed the psu... truth is, issues like that are often caused by unstable or not fully compatible ram...

if it was me, get a b550 board, a 5800x3d,  2x16gb of Samsung BDIE ram and be over with.

ddr5 platforms are still very immature and well, you gotta pay the price for that, or use a more established platform with similar performance thats cheaper. 

as said, if it was me... (well actually that's what im doing and i couldn't be happier! )

Did you ready my post?  I have it in a totally new system that I just finished last night and it still has the same issue.

1 hour ago, BentleyOwen123 said:

It's not, that is a typo.  It was running at 4000MHz.  The new DDR5 system RAM is running at 6400MHz.

21 minutes ago, BentleyOwen123 said:

try tuning your ram back to something even somewhat reasonable, like 3600 and try again

3600MHz for a DDR5 system? Why?

Just now, ArmyGuyAH64 said:

3600MHz for a DDR5 system? Why?

thats mb i mustve missed the second half, sorry

1 minute ago, BentleyOwen123 said:

hmm, is the new ram overclocked too?

The DDR5 RAM is 6400 stock.

14 hours ago, ArmyGuyAH64 said:

The DDR5 RAM is 6400 stock.

Try running this at 6000, depdending on your memory controllers silicon AM5 can be unstable over 6000, ideal spot is 6000CL30, mine is actually entirely unstable if i dont memory retrain it everytime and im running 6000CL32 not even 30

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

9 hours ago, TatamiMatt said:

Try running this at 6000, depdending on your memory controllers silicon AM5 can be unstable over 6000, ideal spot is 6000CL30, mine is actually entirely unstable if i dont memory retrain it everytime and im running 6000CL32 not even 30

I will try that, but it does not explain why I was having the same issue on my other computer.  If this RAM was the issue I would think that the issue would change.

15 hours ago, ArmyGuyAH64 said:

I will try that, but it does not explain why I was having the same issue on my other computer.  If this RAM was the issue I would think that the issue would change.

Yeah, I unerstand what you mean, but even though its the same issue, its basically an entirely new computer, so, take all necessary troubleshooting steps to narrow down the problem

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3