Using AIO fans as case fans

iGPR3
Go to solution Solved by Needfuldoer,

What kind of screws do you have? If they're the kind that cut their own threads, just make sure the hole in the fan is only slightly smaller than the shank of the screw (between the threads). If the hole is too small, the plastic might crack or split if you force the screw into it.

You could pick up some long screws and lock nuts from the hardware store, then pass those all the way through the fans. Nobody says you have to use "PC hardware".

Hi there. Just got a thermaright Frozen Magic 360V2 AIO, and there are 3 fans that come with it. The PWM cables are super short and don’t reach. Luckily, I’ve got 3 case fans that I can use that will. I’ve installed the 3 ARGB fans in the front that came with the case on the radiator, which is in the front.

I wanted to install the other 3 AIO fans as exhausts, but they aren’t threaded and can’t be screwed in. There are 4 super long screws used to go through the fans and into the radiator and so they dont need to be threaded.

Could I just use the screws for my case fans on the AIO fans, and despite not being threaded, kind of just force the screws in? Or would it damage them too much?

Edited by iGPR3

What kind of screws do you have? If they're the kind that cut their own threads, just make sure the hole in the fan is only slightly smaller than the shank of the screw (between the threads). If the hole is too small, the plastic might crack or split if you force the screw into it.

You could pick up some long screws and lock nuts from the hardware store, then pass those all the way through the fans. Nobody says you have to use "PC hardware".

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 minute ago, Needfuldoer said:

They will make their own threads, but are pretty dang tight, so it probably isn’t worth the risk of cracking the plastic when I could just use some other screws. Probably just get some from the hardware store in that case if I don’t have any that fit.