This SH#T NOT WORKING

jjkfanz

i have a 5600g and a 6600 for some not known reason the gpu isn't working except for the fans so i go to microcenter, replace it, and it is still not working. I have a 500w powerspec psu and a ASUS b550m-a Wi-Fi 2 mb. I'm thinking get a higher wattage psu or replace the motherboard.

13 minutes ago, jjkfanz said:

i have a 5600g and a 6600 for some not known reason the gpu isn't working except for the fans so i go to microcenter, replace it, and it is still not working. I have a 500w powerspec psu and a ASUS b550m-a Wi-Fi 2 mb. I'm thinking get a higher wattage psu or replace the motherboard.

Did you disable the onboard graphics in BIOS?

Define "not working".  Does it POST?  Any image on monitor at all?  Any beep codes?

Do you have integrated video to try or a low power video card to swap in its place?

That PSU is low end junk, but is supposed to have a 5 year warranty so I might try to get it replaced under warranty, maybe peek inside with a flashlight (do not break the tamper detect sticker(s) on it) and see if any capacitors have popped.

If something that low end is out of its 5 yr warranty by now, it died a natural death of old age from burning the candle at both ends.

1 hour ago, BiotechBen said:

Did you disable the onboard graphics in BIOS?

yes, no luck

4 minutes ago, Salted Spinach said:

Is monitor connected to the 6600 instead of the motherboard?

yes i tried that

56 minutes ago, Dave9 said:

Define "not working".  Does it POST?  Any image on monitor at all?  Any beep codes?

Do you have integrated video to try or a low power video card to swap in its place?

That PSU is low end junk, but is supposed to have a 5 year warranty so I might try to get it replaced under warranty, maybe peek inside with a flashlight (do not break the tamper detect sticker(s) on it) and see if any capacitors have popped.

If something that low end is out of its 5 yr warranty by now, it died a natural death of old age from burning the candle at both ends.

Yeah thank for letting me notice that because I think one day I smelled burning but my computer looked to be okay, i checked the inside and it looks like something is off I'm getting a swap in around 2-7 days and a new mb. Whenever the guy at microcenter used the rx580 it worked perfectly fine, so its most likely the psu

1 hour ago, Dave9 said:

I also get a 1 long and 3 short beep code for asus mb

14 hours ago, jjkfanz said:

I also get a 1 long and 3 short beep code for asus mb

1 long, 3 short is GPU Error for Asus. Sounds like the GPU is faulty. 

Turn the onboard graphics on, remove the GPU, and see if you get a display output.

On 3/23/2024 at 2:54 PM, BiotechBen said:

1 long, 3 short is GPU Error for Asus. Sounds like the GPU is faulty. 

Turn the onboard graphics on, remove the GPU, and see if you get a display output.

I just got this gpu for a replacement of my old 6600, i got a new psu a hour ago and my shit still not working so you think i got 2 faulty gpus in a row?

1 hour ago, jjkfanz said:

I just got this gpu for a replacement of my old 6600, i got a new psu a hour ago and my shit still not working so you think i got 2 faulty gpus in a row?

If it still isn't working, I'd say it might be a motherboard issue. If you had another slot I'd say put it in that slot and try again to see if a bad slot is at play, but You've only got one slot on that board to work with.

On 3/27/2024 at 6:40 PM, BiotechBen said:

If it still isn't working, I'd say it might be a motherboard issue. If you had another slot I'd say put it in that slot and try again to see if a bad slot is at play, but You've only got one slot on that board to work with.

I have a new motherboard aswell i just tested it last night with the new psu and still not cutting it

2 hours ago, jjkfanz said:

I have a new motherboard aswell i just tested it last night with the new psu and still not cutting it

What is the new PSU you have?

On 3/29/2024 at 3:22 PM, BiotechBen said:

What is the new PSU you have?

thermaltake smart 600w

On 3/23/2024 at 1:45 AM, jjkfanz said:

Yeah thank for letting me notice that because I think one day I smelled burning but my computer looked to be okay, i checked the inside and it looks like something is off I'm getting a swap in around 2-7 days and a new mb. Whenever the guy at microcenter used the rx580 it worked perfectly fine, so its most likely the psu

1 hour ago, jjkfanz said:

Even so are you sure its the psu?

Given all the things you've replaced and tried, the PSU seems to be the only thing left at this point.

I've got this unit, it's solid, reliable seasonic quality, comes with a very long warranty, and won't potentially damage components or start a fire:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/KmgzK8/seasonic-focus-gold-550w-80-gold-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-550fm

8 minutes ago, starsmine said:

im still hesitent to part cannon it.

It's been parts cannoned with a GPU, MOBO, and identical PSU, with none fixing, and given the previous encounters with the PSU being a near fire hazard, I'd say it's likely the time bomb PSU at fault.