Looking for advice on outdoor cameras for a daycare

I'm not sure if this is the correct spot for this.

I'm helping my local daycare set up some outdoor cameras after an incident happened a couple of weeks ago. They don't have a large budget, about $2000, so using companies that specialize in school security aren't' really an option, they received a quote of $25,000 from one company already. They asked me to help since they know I'm a techy dad and currently working on their website. My background is Software Development, but I figure with my interest in hardware and some help from this community, I could help get them set up with some cameras that record locally to help keep the cost low for them. Any and all tips and advice are super appreciated!

The main goal is to have 6 outdoor cameras that ideally would be PoE. Again, given the cost budget it might be less and then over time I can help them add more as they save up more money for them. They would also like doorbell cameras, Ring or Google, but I don't know of any that can save to your own storage verses going to a subscription. That just might have to be a separate part of the system.

They are okay with just having the video be stored locally for 30 days but if that is going to be too complex, they would be open to using a subscription service if the price is reasonable.

For the budget you're probably going to be getting one of those cheapo swan systems with the analog cameras that store the video locally for 24 hours. Once you get up to a high amount of cameras the budget will be pretty much filled up

25 minutes ago, emosun said:

For the budget you're probably going to be getting one of those cheapo swan systems with the analog cameras that store the video locally for 24 hours. Once you get up to a high amount of cameras the budget will be pretty much filled up

Thank you! I’ll look into those. Do you know of better ones if they were to start out with just 3 cameras and slowly add the additional ones when they have the money?

7 minutes ago, CandidKilsborne said:

Thank you! I’ll look into those. Do you know of better ones if they were to start out with just 3 cameras and slowly add the additional ones when they have the money?

I don't really. I know the industry is basically overly expensive for extremely subpar equipment and that the budget might get filled just replacing dead cameras as the months go by.

I'm ASSUMING you need the cameras for various insurance "show what happened" purposes , typically you don't need amazing high quality to simply show the basics of a situation which is all the cops/court really care about. hence why gas stations seemingly have the worst cameras ever made and still are able to be admissible as evidence.

Ubiquiti UniFi protect? 

cloud key+ - 199 (comes with 1tb hdd)

Lite 16 POE switch - 199

6x G5 flex - 744

So around 1150 for the gear, leaves you plenty for cat6 cable and other miscellaneous items and they’re good to go. 

4 hours ago, seanondemand said:

Ubiquiti UniFi protect? 

cloud key+ - 199 (comes with 1tb hdd)

Lite 16 POE switch - 199

6x G5 flex - 744

So around 1150 for the gear, leaves you plenty for cat6 cable and other miscellaneous items and they’re good to go. 

Oh that’s awesome! I didn’t even think of Ubiquiti. I assumed it would be over their budget but it looks very affordable. 

I might also use this in my house for this price!

Can you help with physical labour for cabling and install and have the tools ?

Run 6x Cat 6 to each point and bring out to a 6 outlet plate to save on cost or a cheap/partially loaded patch panel if there's an existing rack.

Chinese NVR with on board PoE + camera pack from the likes of Hikvision, Dahua or Uniview plus an appropriate sized hard drive eg. 4-10TB Purple/Skyhawk etc.

Should be just doable at that budget if on mates rates labour cost.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/20/2024 at 6:49 AM, CandidKilsborne said:

I'm not sure if this is the correct spot for this.

I'm helping my local daycare set up some outdoor cameras after an incident happened a couple of weeks ago. They don't have a large budget, about $2000, so using companies that specialize in school security aren't' really an option, they received a quote of $25,000 from one company already. They asked me to help since they know I'm a techy dad and currently working on their website. My background is Software Development, but I figure with my interest in hardware and some help from this community, I could help get them set up with some cameras that record locally to help keep the cost low for them. Any and all tips and advice are super appreciated!

The main goal is to have 6 outdoor cameras that ideally would be PoE. Again, given the cost budget it might be less and then over time I can help them add more as they save up more money for them. They would also like doorbell cameras, Ring or Google, but I don't know of any that can save to your own storage verses going to a subscription. That just might have to be a separate part of the system.

They are okay with just having the video be stored locally for 30 days but if that is going to be too complex, they would be open to using a subscription service if the price is reasonable.

I personally really like ring cameras might not work for a school but they work for me