Lost a server due to multiple drive failure

Howsit all.

So I goofed. I ignored a drive that was suspicions and sometimes didn't come back online when rebooting one of our servers at work. I figured since it came back if I just turned the PC off and on again then it was alright to ignore it for now and deal with it when it fails (then I would replace it) but I knew it would bite my ass at the wrong time.

So yesterday I went to upgrade one of the drives to a new 4TB drive and low and behold the other sketchy drive decided to fail when I did the upgrade so the server thought that two drives had failed. I tried inserting the old drive I was upgrading so as to only have one failed drive (the sketchy one) and then I could just recover that one drive. But seems like the server didnt like that. Its convinced that both drives are non-compatible and need to be formatted.

So ya moral of the story I screwed up, I should have fixed the sketchy drive straight away and not left it. Because it will mess up when you least expect it to. Anyways I just wanted some people to tell me how stupid I was for not replacing it so I figured I would just tell you all. (cus I am a dum dum for not doing it, I know)

Sometimes I fill in the signature field..... other times I don't.

Fair enough you identified the problem for next time. Hope you had a decent backup policy and failover so it wasn't noticed?

We all get lazy sometimes and well no better time to get bit in the butt but then :p. Makes you not wanna have it happen again

26 minutes ago, Gokuofuin said:

Howsit all.

So I goofed. I ignored a drive that was suspicions and sometimes didn't come back online when rebooting one of our servers at work. I figured since it came back if I just turned the PC off and on again then it was alright to ignore it for now and deal with it when it fails (then I would replace it) but I knew it would bite my ass at the wrong time.

So yesterday I went to upgrade one of the drives to a new 4TB drive and low and behold the other sketchy drive decided to fail when I did the upgrade so the server thought that two drives had failed. I tried inserting the old drive I was upgrading so as to only have one failed drive (the sketchy one) and then I could just recover that one drive. But seems like the server didnt like that. Its convinced that both drives are non-compatible and need to be formatted.

So ya moral of the story I screwed up, I should have fixed the sketchy drive straight away and not left it. Because it will mess up when you least expect it to. Anyways I just wanted some people to tell me how stupid I was for not replacing it so I figured I would just tell you all. (cus I am a dum dum for not doing it, I know)

Your penance shall be to recite the OSI model 30 times.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

Totally fair and it happens. If you want people to rag on you, your best bet will be Reddit. We're more likely to commiserate and offer moral support

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup