QoS device prioritization with variable internet speed

Jutsch80

Hello, 

Since my internet is over LTE, its speed isn't the most stable. 50-100Mbit/s during the day, 200-250 during the night. My LTE Router is a HUAWEI 5G CPE Pro 2 (got it from the ISP in hopes I get 5G, 4G plan would have cost the same but worse modem), which I only use as a Modem and a pair of Mercusys Halo H90X for network, wired and wifi. 

When I try setting up QoS in the Mercusys software is wants accurate internet speeds, otherwise QoS wouldn't work reliably. Is there maybe another method I overlooked? It would be optimal to be able to guarantee around 10Mbit/s to my AndroidTV box to make sure at least HD streaming works whenever another device in the network starts a download of any kind.

I hope it's clear what I want to achieve and would be great if anyone has a solution. 

2 hours ago, Jutsch80 said:

When I try setting up QoS in the Mercusys software is wants accurate internet speeds, otherwise QoS wouldn't work reliably. Is there maybe another method I overlooked? It would be optimal to be able to guarantee around 10Mbit/s to my AndroidTV box to make sure at least HD streaming works whenever another device in the network starts a download of any kind.

Without reliable speeds, this will be difficult to do. If QoS is the only setting available for traffic shaping, then you might have to use the slowest speeds and live with that.

If your router supported CoDel or fq_codel, you would get the dynamic adjustment that you want. 

10 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

Without reliable speeds, this will be difficult to do. If QoS is the only setting available for traffic shaping, then you might have to use the slowest speeds and live with that.

If your router supported CoDel or fq_codel, you would get the dynamic adjustment that you want. 

Thank you for the answer.

I guess without an investment in my network (and much better knowledge about it) or my city finally laying fiberoptic cables in my street for me to have fixed and decent internet speeds I'll have to live with what I have. 

I'm a 5G home internet user, and your QoS settings (my router calls it SmartQueue QoS) recommend accurate settings because if your max bandwidth is ever lower than the QoS setting, then there is no benefit to you, but if your max bandwidth is way much higher than the QoS setting, then you are basically capping your bandwidth much lower than what you could actually have. But QoS does help reduce latency or worst case dropped packets when you get near your ISP's max bandwidth.

If there's a way to tell the router to only do certain QoS settings for certain times a day, then that would be best. Router configuration varies by who makes them though.

Some routers do allow the type of Advanced Queue QoS (thats what my Ubiquiti Edgerouter calls it) you are referring to where it can guarantee minimum bandwidth for certain device(s), and then allocating the rest of the bandwidth for everything else. The only downside is that this form of QoS is somewhat less advanced, and so it is less likely to treat all connection types fairly though that may not matter much or at all if your goal is to prioritize a certain device or device set over all others.