Upgrade from r5 3600 really worth it?

Hi,

Im currently running an R5 3600 cpu, RX 6800 gpu, 3440x1440 ultrawide screen, and 32GB 3200Hz ram 16CL.

Do mainly racing games like ACC, LMU and AMS2.

Is upgrading my cpu to R7 5800x3d really making a big difference? 

After many hours scouring several sources, I'm still not convinced that the difference will be remarkable. Between 10% and 20% increase in fps doesn't seem much.

Appreciate your thoughts and experiences on this.

TIA

5 minutes ago, LordF said:

Between 10% and 20% increase in fps doesn't seem much.

For a CPU upgrade that's kind of a lot! 

The results here suggest that ACC rather likes the cache:

1 hour ago, LordF said:

After many hours scouring several sources, I'm still not convinced that the difference will be remarkable. Between 10% and 20% increase in fps doesn't seem much.

TIA

I'd say you should first find out if you even need to upgrade, 3600 is not the fastest but not the slowest either, and even with such GPU lot of fps is achievable even in the 1% lows.

Is your fps tanking in some games? If the answer is no, I wouldn't really rush the upgrade here.

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

1 hour ago, LordF said:

Hi,

Im currently running an R5 3600 cpu, RX 6800 gpu, 3440x1440 ultrawide screen, and 32GB 3200Hz ram 16CL.

Do mainly racing games like ACC, LMU and AMS2.

TIA

tbh... no.

thing is the 5800x3d is faster yes. but single core not really and half of the games rely on that. 

does the bigger cache help? yea, sure, you'll get slightly more responsiveness,  but does that really matter in most games? not really. 

fun fact: i upgraded from a 3600 to 5800x3D... everything works as it should,  most benchmarks are even better than in reviews...

but then i did superposition benchmark and guess what? same exact system except new 5800x3D instead of 3600..

performance was slightly *worse*... lol

(that said my 3600 was really thriving with PBO offset...)

so in most applications, no its absolutely not worth it...

like ok do you really need 10fps more and *slightly* better responsiveness?  why...?  but if yes, then do it (just doesn't really make monetary sense imho) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Tetras said:

For a CPU upgrade that's kind of a lot! 

The results here suggest that ACC rather likes the cache:

yea, but see above, whats the point? Do you really *need* ~10 fps more? 

imo upgrades are worth it if you get like 50% boost minimum... i mean that stuff is usually expensive !

if you get a 5800x3d for 10 bucks then hell yeah, but otherwise uh,  whyyy...? 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

tbh... no.

thing is the 5800x3d is faster yes. but single core not really and half of the games rely on that. 

does the bigger cache help? yea, sure, you'll get slightly more responsiveness,  but does that really matter in most games? not really. 

fun fact: i upgraded from a 3600 to 5800x3D... everything works as it should,  most benchmarks are even better than in reviews...

but then i did superposition benchmark and guess what? same exact system except new 5800x3D instead of 3600..

performance was slightly *worse*... lol

(that said my 3600 was really thriving with PBO offset...)

so in most applications, no its absolutely not worth it...

like ok do you really need 10fps more and *slightly* better responsiveness?  why...?  but if yes, then do it (just doesn't really make monetary sense imho) 

The only thing I have to say to this is in simulation type games, racing games in particular, or flight sim, or whatever, it loves the extra cache, really what's not talked about enough is the 1% or .1% lows the spikes I had on my 3800X were way worse than on the 5800X3D, would be along the same lines with the 3600, as a drop in replacement if you have the gpu(6800 is toeing the line), I say go for it, if you are not cpu bound then this is not gonna help you much and you are better off looking at a gpu upgrade, but if playing at higher refresh rate then x3d for sure.

In all honesty if you play sim style racing games you will see an uplift not necessarily in max frames(though some you will), but the game will feel 10x smoother imo, I play quite a few diff racing games

F1 23- benefits alot

Forza Motorsport- Alot

AC - EHH

ACC - alot

Dirt Rally 1/2 - alot

Iracing - alot

Long story short x3d part will give you a lot of uplift in sim racing based games, in others it's about the same

Fractal Design Define S | Asus X570 TUF Gaming | AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32gb 3600mhz ram | Nvidia RTX 3080 FE |

Corsair RMx 1000w PSU | Corsair H115 Elite Cappellix | Micron M600 M.2 256Gb SSDs | WD SN850X 4TB NVME | 2TB Samsung 860evo | 1440p 240hz LG UltraGear 27GR95QE OLED | 1440p 155hz Dell S2719DGF | LG 29WP60G-B 1080p 75hz Ultrawide | GMMK TKL | Glorious Model O-

56 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

yea, but see above, whats the point? Do you really *need* ~10 fps more? 

imo upgrades are worth it if you get like 50% boost minimum... i mean that stuff is usually expensive !

if you get a 5800x3d for 10 bucks then hell yeah, but otherwise uh,  whyyy...? 

I grew up with PCs when 60 fps was awesome and now we have 240 Hz and gamers want 150+ fps, so while personally I would not buy a new CPU unless it is making my new game a slideshow, I'm aware that some gamers will consider the improvement from the X3D significant (particularly in a few games that really love it, like ACC appears to), so eh, each to their own I guess.

32 minutes ago, Tetras said:

I grew up with PCs when 60 fps was awesome and now we have 240 Hz and gamers want 150+ fps, so while personally I would not buy a new CPU unless it is making my new game a slideshow, I'm aware that some gamers will consider the improvement from the X3D significant (particularly in a few games that really love it, like ACC appears to), so eh, each to their own I guess.

yeah, but there is no benefit going from 240fps to say 250fps... you'll overall gain a few ms response time at which point you're probably using gsync or similar which eats those gains tenfold...

so to to me this is just a weird kink that people like seeing numbers on a screen while literally missing the big picture of those "gains" being actually so small the only benefit they have is a placebo effect,  which admittedly can can be powerful.  

Tldr: If your upgrade gives you 50% or more boost its worth it, otherwise no it just isn't,  being immune to placebo effects is way more efficient.  🙂

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Thank you all for the info above. It basically confirms my nagging feeling I shouldn't rush into it.