Regedit question

iNeedy

Hey, I have an optiplex mobo with an i5-12400 (OC unavailable) and 32 gigs of ram that supports XMP, but i have stock bios. I had an idea after somebody said on this forum that I could set it to OC manually but it would reset upon restart, so I had the crazy idea that i could create a regedit program that sets my OC settings on startup, is this possible and how could I go about doing it?

15 minutes ago, iNeedy said:

I had an idea after somebody said on this forum that I could set it to OC manually but it would reset upon restart

They were uninformed or misinformed and that's not actually possible here. In order to overclock the 12400, you need to have an external clock gen, something that isn't possible to make work in software if it's not physically present on your motherboard. In order to overclock the memory, you need a memory retrain every time you raise the frequency if you want any semblance of stability, which requires a reboot. If you were to mess with the memory timings, that can technically be done without a full retrain if your BIOS supports real-time memory training, but given you're on an Optiplex and don't even have options for XMP, the odds of that working are effectively zero. Besides, even if it did work, it can cause weird stability issues, to the point where it's only really useful when doing competitive benchmarking and want to save time from reboots. 

If you're dead set on overclocking your system, spend the $130 on a B760M PG Riptide, otherwise you will be stuck running at stock. 

6 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

They were uninformed or misinformed and that's not actually possible here. In order to overclock the 12400, you need to have an external clock gen, something that isn't possible to make work in software if it's not physically present on your motherboard. In order to overclock the memory, you need a memory retrain every time you raise the frequency if you want any semblance of stability, which requires a reboot. If you were to mess with the memory timings, that can technically be done without a full retrain if your BIOS supports real-time memory training, but given you're on an Optiplex and don't even have options for XMP, the odds of that working are effectively zero. Besides, even if it did work, it can cause weird stability issues, to the point where it's only really useful when doing competitive benchmarking and want to save time from reboots. 

If you're dead set on overclocking your system, spend the $130 on a B760M PG Riptide, otherwise you will be stuck running at stock. 

On an HP victus 15L. any other motherboard probably will not work

1 minute ago, iNeedy said:

On an HP victus 15L. any other motherboard probably will not work

OK, then you're just out of luck and will be stuck running at complete stock. 

9 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Besides, even if it did work, it can cause weird stability issues, to the point where it's only really useful when doing competitive benchmarking and want to save time from reboots. 

Do you think it is needed to play starfield? I can screenshot my specs if you need anything else, but i use 3200 mhz dual channel ddr4 16 dual sticks, gtx 1660 super, m.2 ssds and some SATA ones, and of course the 12400 i5. it sits comfortable between the specs of the recommended and minimum for that game.

Just now, iNeedy said:

Do you think it is needed to play starfield? I can screenshot my specs if you need anything else, but i use 3200 mhz dual channel ddr4 16 dual sticks, gtx 1660 super, m.2 ssds and some SATA ones, and of course the 12400 i5. it sits comfortable between the specs of the recommended and minimum for that game.

Starfield should work OK enough on that game, and it has been show to not care that much about memory performance anyway. There was speculation early on it did, but that has since been proven false. 

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Starfield should work OK enough on that game, and it has been show to not care that much about memory performance anyway. There was speculation early on it did, but that has since been proven false. 

will i get 60 fps in cities, you think? im pretty sure i wont in star citizen.

Just now, iNeedy said:

will i get 60 fps in cities, you think? im pretty sure i wont in star citizen.

Even top of the line system can struggle to get 60FPS in the cities in Starfield, I know my system struggled with that (13700K/6900 XT, though admittedly I was trying to play at 4k high). If you drop down to low or medium you should be able to get close enough to 60FPS sustained. 

Besides, you might as well just try it and see if the game can run fine. You already have the system, might as well test it before determining you need an upgrade. 

18 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Even top of the line system can struggle to get 60FPS in the cities in Starfield, I know my system struggled with that (13700K/6900 XT, though admittedly I was trying to play at 4k high). If you drop down to low or medium you should be able to get close enough to 60FPS sustained. 

Besides, you might as well just try it and see if the game can run fine. You already have the system, might as well test it before determining you need an upgrade. 

yeah, im just waiting for a SATA power cable to come in the mail. Also, does medium/low graphics on starfield still look pretty good since its an advanced game?

16 minutes ago, iNeedy said:

yeah, im just waiting for a SATA power cable to come in the mail. Also, does medium/low graphics on starfield still look pretty good since its an advanced game?

Hardware Unboxed did some pretty good visual testing of the game to see what settings actually affected the visuals and which ones didn't. It's a game that doesn't look that much better on high than it does on medium, though I'd argue it doesn't look all that great even on high. 

7 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Hardware Unboxed did some pretty good visual testing of the game to see what settings actually affected the visuals and which ones didn't. It's a game that doesn't look that much better on high than it does on medium, though I'd argue it doesn't look all that great even on high. 

does it look as good as Red Dead 2 on medium/high settings? that was what i was limited to when i had 8 gb of ram, i can probably pull up to high or a little more now. thats just a benchmark point i guess, for World of tanks i can play it on ultra and everything maxxed along with extre sky fog/night sky mod and get 75 FPS consistently. 

Edit: as compared to medium on Starfield.

Just now, iNeedy said:

does it look as good as Red Dead 2 on medium/high settings? thats just a benchmark point i guess, for World of tanks i can play it on ultra and everything maxxed along with extre sky fog/night sky mod and get 75 FPS consistently. 

At least when they're both on high, I prefer the look of RDR2 to Starfield, especially since the performance of RDR2 in my experience was slightly better. Haven't really played RDR2 on medium enough to know how much the quality drops by stepping down to medium/low. 

Granted, I put 12 hours into Starfield at launch and haven't played it since, so there's a good chance that the visuals and the performance have improved since then. 

Again, I'd check out those videos so you can see roughly how the settings change the visuals of the game and how much performance they will cost. 

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

At least when they're both on high, I prefer the look of RDR2 to Starfield, especially since the performance of RDR2 in my experience was slightly better. Haven't really played RDR2 on medium enough to know how much the quality drops by stepping down to medium/low. 

Granted, I put 12 hours into Starfield at launch and haven't played it since, so there's a good chance that the visuals and the performance have improved since then. 

Again, I'd check out those videos so you can see roughly how the settings change the visuals of the game and how much performance they will cost. 

Thanks man. Just a reminder, I was wondering if either of my settings of those games would compare graphically to medium Starfield. I'll go watch those vids you linked, thanks.