Why is my Internet speed halved via Port Bridged Modem/Router

I hope I am in the right chat/forum for this.

I recently  upgraded my Internet to Telus Purefibre 1GB.
When I use the Ookla speed test when connected to my Telus Modem direct from my PC, I get close to 1GB up and down.
But when I go through my router (ASUS RT-AC68U) via Port 1 on my Telus Modem and it is set to Port Bridging enabled, I only get about half the speed both up and down?

I have some basic to medium understanding the technology and this is my first time on this or any type of forum but would appreciate help to understand why and how to try to get the answer to this issue.

On the other hand... you have different fingers.

15 minutes ago, Omega7ven said:

But when I go through my router (ASUS RT-AC68U) via Port 1 on my Telus Modem and it is set to Port Bridging enabled, I only get about half the speed both up and down?

Two things:

1) If any QoS or advanced filtering is enabled on the router, it will not handle Gigabit as it needs NAT Acceleration to take the load off the CPU and certain features turn that off (and its not always obvious as it might still be ticked in the UI) as they need to use the CPU to do them.

2) Even with NAT Acceleration, the router might not be powerful enough for Gigabit.

Frustratingly the speeds manufacturers quote on the box, etc, are the theoretical WiFi speeds, not the routing speeds.

Actually a post on SNB forum suggests it can handle Gigabit:

• QoS off
  • LAN - Switch Control
    Enable Jumbo Frame - Disable
    NAT Acceleration - Auto (it shows CTF is enabled)
    Spanning-Tree Protocol - Disable
  • Tools - Other settings
    Memory Management - Yes
    Firewall - No
    Wan - No
    Disable Asusnat tunnel - Yes (extra 10-20mbps)

I'm dubious about turning off Firewall and Wan are in Other Settings though.  Anything that suggests turning off the firewall is a bad idea, so I'd leave Firewall and Wan at whatever its already set as.  If you have to turn off the firewall to get Gigabit, you need a faster router.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

8 hours ago, Omega7ven said:

ASUS RT-AC68U

Screenshot2024-03-16at8_45_56AM.thumb.png.8823705dcb23e0050eb682c7b5383580.png

This is from SmallNetBuilder, they do testing on routers. According to this that router will NEVER get Gigabit. My guess on why you are getting half is due to some feature turned on that is using the CPU power needed to achieve faster speeds. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I applied Alex Atkin UK's suggestions and got quite some improvement on the both the DL and UL.
As forementioned, before applying the changes I got anywhere between 300 to just over 500 Mbps on both DL and UL.

After applying the changes, I now get 600 to just over 700 on the DL and usually around mid 700's  on the UL.

Thanks for that Alex.

As for the info Donut417 (sorry about the lactose thing) provided, thank you for that as well.
I guess I will be looking for a new router that can handle Gigabit.

I really appreciate the help on this.
Thank you. 🙂

On the other hand... you have different fingers.