Am I able to upgrade to a 12600kf?

Go to solution Solved by Somerandomtechyboi,
5 hours ago, jsnotlout1 said:

I found a pretty good deal on a new Z690, Testing my current motherboard would only cause the CPU to throttle right?

Also should I be concerned about this? Im dangerously close to the limit, And am unsure what would happen if I added more storage or case fans

image.thumb.png.1159da17d2337b75d60c263364f386cd.png

psu calculators are full of shit just like bottleneck calculators

dont expect the thing to draw over 450w under full load with stress tests, so not a concern whatsoever since your 600w is more than enough

your current mobo is likely to throttle even with a fan so if you did find a good deal then go for it

I currently have a 12100f. It keeps getting to 100% when I multitask, And I want to replace it with a 12600kf. However, I don't know if my cooling or PSU will handle that. I know that my motherboard will work. Any one know how I can find out?

Mother Board:

MSI PRO H610M-G WIFI DDR4

Cooler:

ARCTIC Alpine 17

PSU:

Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 80+ Gold 600W

Your cooler will definitely struggle with a 12600kf. You could consider a 12400 or 13400.

18 minutes ago, NikolakiH said:

Your cooler will definitely struggle with a 12600kf. You could consider a 12400 or 13400.

Is it worth seeking out a new cooler? For the 12600kf?

21 minutes ago, jsnotlout1 said:

Is it worth seeking out a new cooler? For the 12600kf?

i mean theres some decent 4 heatpipe towers at 15$ like the se 214 xt

just go 12600kf, add a vrm fan if you have to, you arent saving much if there are even any savings if you go for a 13400 which boosts lower, and the 12400 is a minor upgrade

If ur doing that may aswell get the 14600k and a cooler and have the extra e cores and clock speed 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

9 hours ago, Ebony Falcon said:

If ur doing that may aswell get the 14600k and a cooler and have the extra e cores and clock speed 

though i have my doubts on the mobos vrms being able to handle a 13600k/14600k even with a fan blowing over them

1 hour ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

though i have my doubts on the mobos vrms being able to handle a 13600k/14600k even with a fan blowing over them

Im fairly certain a 12600k will be fine, But yeah. I also cant fit anything more than a 12600k.

5 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Do you think the 12600k will be fine on the mother board? I looked into it, and it seems to be a bad idea. And Im willing to buy a b660m used.

3 hours ago, jsnotlout1 said:

Do you think the 12600k will be fine on the mother board? I looked into it, and it seems to be a bad idea. And Im willing to buy a b660m used.

ditch the b660m go for a z690 unless we are talking about the b660m pg riptide

id still just buy the cpu and try it out on your current mobo first with a fan over the vrms and see if it can handle the cpu, if not just resell and buy a used z690

1 hour ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

ditch the b660m go for a z690 unless we are talking about the b660m pg riptide

id still just buy the cpu and try it out on your current mobo first with a fan over the vrms and see if it can handle the cpu, if not just resell and buy a used z690

I found a pretty good deal on a new Z690, Testing my current motherboard would only cause the CPU to throttle right?

Also should I be concerned about this? Im dangerously close to the limit, And am unsure what would happen if I added more storage or case fans

5 hours ago, jsnotlout1 said:

dont expect the thing to draw over 450w under full load with stress tests, so not a concern whatsoever since your 600w is more than enough

your current mobo is likely to throttle even with a fan so if you did find a good deal then go for it

On 3/17/2024 at 4:40 AM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Got the Z690 and the 12600kf, Got a cheap cooler and it all works fine, no throttleing while at max usage and no crashing. Thanks for your help!