Help with HP laptop

Go to solution Solved by John Reactor,

Check page 35 of this service manual

Hiya, I'm trying to upgrade my ram and storage in my laptop. Its an HP envy x360 15-ee0002na with the r7 4700U. I have opened it up and know where the ram and nvme drive are, and can see that the storage is upgradable, but the ram is completely covered so I have no idea if it is soldered or if it uses sodimms. I have looked through the HP website and a few other sources with each source saying different things. By the look of how thick and wide the shield is, i think sodimm is a reasonable guess, but want to be sure. I was wondering if anyone here knows for certain which one it is before I brick my laptop trying to find out. Also does anyone know a way to get the ram shield off easily?

Thank you for any help.

20240314_145315.jpg

20240314_145648.jpg

That heatspreader is friction fit in place by all the little clips you see around its edge. Undo the screw on the M.2 part, then you should be able to lever the whole heatspreader up with a plastic spudger. (Don't use a metal screwdriver, because it's too easy to damage the PCB that way.)

3 minutes ago, John Reactor said:

Check page 35 of this service manual

Page 45 of the PDF.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

3 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Page 45 of the PDF.

Definetly 35 not 45. Page 45 contains screen dissasemby information. SSD storage upgrade is discribed on page 33

7 minutes ago, John Reactor said:

Definetly 35 not 45. Page 45 contains screen dissasemby information. SSD storage upgrade is discribed on page 33

Page 35 of the document, page 45 of the .PDF file.

They did that stupid publishing thing where the legal disclaimer pages are "numbered" with Roman numerals before the pages with Arabic numbers start, so the numbers the PDF reader reports don't match the pages on the document.

image.png.964bb92dc5ed355716a6903dccc09cfb.png

I like just typing the page number into the reader to jump to a given page, so it drives me bonkers when documents do this.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

4 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

They did that stupid publishing thing where the legal disclaimer pages are "numbered" with Roman numerals before the pages with Arabic numbers start, so the numbers the PDF reader reports don't match the pages on the document.

Ah yes. I see this now. Wird.

There is a friction fit cover over the Ram, and the NVME has a metal shield holding it in place with a couple of screws. Hope this helps.

image.jpeg.967903956e3b6494ea4c6617b3719c71.jpeg

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |