G-Sync compatible monitor issues

Oganan
Go to solution Solved by SephiRock,
1 minute ago, Oganan said:

Yes, but I wanted to avoid that since it could add input lag 

Ok, but are you actually feeling added input lag ? If so, don't you think it could be placebo ?

Because if you look at this page (https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/6), and specifically at this graph, you can see that the actual difference between G-sync ON with V-sync ON + FPS limiter, and G-sync ON with V-sync OFF + FPS limiter is about........ 2ms on average at 60Hz (a frame usually stays on your screen for 1000/60 = 16.66 ms at that framerate, to put things into perspective).

https://blurbusters.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/blur-busters-gsync-101-gsync-vs-vsync-off-60Hz.png

Chances are you're just overthinking it, which is understandable.

You should ask yourself : why do you want G-sync ? The big advantage of G-sync is its ability to eliminate screen tearing without it having a huge impact on input lag. Because i don't know if you're aware, but if you were to use v-sync WITHOUT G-sync in a game, the input lag difference is usually massive. That is the usual cost of removing screen tearing.

Based on this graph, g-sync allows you to do that with a very minor impact on input lag.

So yeah, I understand why you would worry and make a topic. But my best advice would be : chill. Try it for a while, and see if you actually notice something that is unpleasant, or if you're simply apprehensive of it happening.
I've been using a G-sync compatible monitor myself, with those exact parameters, and I don't notice input lag the slightest, even with me being fairly sensitive to it.

Hi, 

So I have a very specific issue. I own a 144hz FreeSync monitor that is G-Sync Compatible (G27Q). I've encountered an issue that I get awful screen tearing from 138 to 144 fps (locked) and it does not feel completely synced below that, there is no tearing but does not feel as good as it should. I've also noticed that the tearing in the 137-139 range is only and the bottom of the screen, not in the middle or top. 

I was able to "solve" this issue reading the G-Sync 101 article here:  https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/14/

What I did, was enable V-Sync on the NVIDIA control panel (on) and it limits my fps to 138 and it feels completely synced, but I fear there could be added input lag. I already tried to update the firmware with the Gigabyte companion app and clean install my drivers. Also, reinstalled Windows because of a drive change and it did not fix the issue.  

I hope this help somebody with a similar issue or find a solution if there is. I think it could be a factory issue since a friend owns the exact same monitor but hasn't encountered any issues. 

Just now, Oganan said:

What I did, was enable V-Sync on the NVIDIA control panel (on) and it limits my fps to 138 and it feels completely synced, but I fear there could be added input lag.

I've been using GSync since 2016ish and all i've ever done is limit games to 2 fps below my displays maximum refresh rate. I never get a hint of tearing. I've read that article many times and it all makes sense but I just don't enjoy the feeling of VSync being on. Currently I have a global 118fps framerate cap setup in the Nvidia app (formerly Nvidia Control Panel) and it works great. 

2 minutes ago, Oganan said:

Hi, 

So I have a very specific issue. I own a 144hz FreeSync monitor that is G-Sync Compatible (G27Q). I've encountered an issue that I get awful screen tearing from 138 to 144 fps (locked) and it does not feel completely synced below that, there is no tearing but does not feel as good as it should. I've also noticed that the tearing in the 137-139 range is only and the bottom of the screen, not in the middle or top. 

I was able to "solve" this issue reading the G-Sync 101 article here:  https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/14/

What I did, was enable V-Sync on the NVIDIA control panel (on) and it limits my fps to 138 and it feels completely synced, but I fear there could be added input lag. I already tried to update the firmware with the Gigabyte companion app and clean install my drivers. Also, reinstalled Windows because of a drive change and it did not fix the issue.  

I hope this help somebody with a similar issue or find a solution if there is. I think it could be a factory issue since a friend owns the exact same monitor but hasn't encountered any issues. 

This how I have ran any Gsync monitor!  Lock the framerate 2-3 frames below monitors refreshrate and run Vsync in the Nvidia control panel 🙂

This has been the standard for a while.  There shouldn't be much added input lag, at least nothing you would notice.

4 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I've been using GSync since 2016ish and all i've ever done is limit games to 2 fps below my displays maximum refresh rate. I never get a hint of tearing. I've read that article many times and it all makes sense but I just don't enjoy the feeling of VSync being on. Currently I have a global 118fps framerate cap setup in the Nvidia app (formerly Nvidia Control Panel) and it works great. 

Thanks, I did try to do that, but even with G-Sync on there is a lot of tearing 

1 minute ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Are you using DisplayPort? The G27Q will not do G-Sync over HDMI according to RTINGS review. 

image.png.00fa12f3cf8ba2d49d47ac8d72181de2.png

Yes, I even changed the cable to a newer one but did not work.

Yes, I even changed the cable to a newer one but did not work.

For the sake of trying things even if they don't make sense, try enabling Freesync Premium in the monitors OSD. 

14 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

For the sake of trying things even if they don't make sense, try enabling Freesync Premium in the monitors OSD. 

It has been always enabled 😞

41 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

This how I have ran any Gsync monitor!  Lock the framerate 2-3 frames below monitors refreshrate and run Vsync in the Nvidia control panel 🙂

This has been the standard for a while.  There shouldn't be much added input lag, at least nothing you would notice.

the problem is... this doesn't work for all games...

For EXAMPLE fighting games are usually locked to 60fps... so if you lock it to 58fps there's going to be issues, HUGE issues...

So ok then lock it to 60, right?  Sure. But then you get this wonderful "Gsync lag/stutter" that you tried to avoid by locking fps 2 below refresh rate...

Ok, sure no problem,  right? Just turn off Gsync...

Well, guess what that fixes it completely!  lol

So now really you have to micromanage this shit constantly... annoying af and you always get some kind of lag/stutters when you play a different game and need to figure it out, again...

So here's how i run Gsync: OFF, its always OFF...framerate locked to 165fps, or 60 for fighting games (yeah, a little bit of micromanaging still involved sadly) Fast Sync ON...  

Usually smooth sailing,  but what it also means is Gsync is utterly useless to me, the worst fail investment i ever did....

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

45 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

So now really you have to micromanage this shit constantly

My experience in the last 8 years of VRR has been simple. Framerate cap and done,  no tearing. Then again I’ve never played anything that relies on 60FPS, just not my sort of game. 

However, that shouldn’t matter if your cap is over 60FPS. 

42 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

However, that shouldn’t matter if your cap is over 60FPS. 

i agree it shouldn't... but it does... best way to describe it is "jittery" ....as soon i set my screen to 60 or 120 hz *and* turn gsync off its smooth as butter... 

^ i also cant play a fighting game when my screen's at 165hz... it just feels laggy and stuttery... 

honestly I found *one* game where gsync doesn't bother me... Resident Evil 3 Remake... funny cause that game basically doesn't benefit from high framerates at all, sure it feels nice having a really responsive screen/ game but it really doesn't change much in terms of gameplay, you aren't gonna beat the AI by being 0.01 seconds faster since its all mostly scripted.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, Oganan said:

Thanks, I did try to do that, but even with G-Sync on there is a lot of tearing 

Did you also enable v-sync in your global 3D parameters, as suggested in the blurbusters guide you mentioned ?

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

So now really you have to micromanage this shit constantly

I don't think you'd really have to micro-manage it tho. I believe that, in the nvidia control pannel, you can turn g-sync on/off for specific games if you go in a program's 3D parameters.

5 minutes ago, SephiRock said:

Did you also enable v-sync in your global 3D parameters, as suggested in the blurbusters guide you mentioned ?

Ok, but are you actually feeling added input lag ? If so, don't you think it could be placebo ?

Because if you look at this page (https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/6), and specifically at this graph, you can see that the actual difference between G-sync ON with V-sync ON + FPS limiter, and G-sync ON with V-sync OFF + FPS limiter is about........ 2ms on average at 60Hz (a frame usually stays on your screen for 1000/60 = 16.66 ms at that framerate, to put things into perspective).

https://blurbusters.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/blur-busters-gsync-101-gsync-vs-vsync-off-60Hz.png

You should ask yourself : why do you want G-sync ? The big advantage of G-sync is its ability to eliminate screen tearing without it having a huge impact on input lag. Because i don't know if you're aware, but if you were to use v-sync WITHOUT G-sync in a game, the input lag difference is usually massive. That is the usual cost of removing screen tearing.

Based on this graph, g-sync allows you to do that with a very minor impact on input lag.

So yeah, I understand why you would worry and make a topic. But my best advice would be : chill. Try it for a while, and see if you actually notice something that is unpleasant, or if you're simply apprehensive of it happening.
I've been using a G-sync compatible monitor myself, with those exact parameters, and I don't notice input lag the slightest, even with me being fairly sensitive to it.

5 minutes ago, SephiRock said:

Thank you, that is a great solution. 

Just now, Oganan said:

Thank you, that is a great solution. 

My pleasure. I totally get it when it comes to overthinking / being a bit anxious about tweaking your system to obtain the best possible experience.

It's always a good idea to take a step back and give things a fair try to see if you actually enjoy your experience, or not. 😄

1 hour ago, SephiRock said:

I don't think you'd really have to micro-manage it tho. I believe that, in the nvidia control pannel, you can turn g-sync on/off for specific games if you go in a program's 3D parameters.

well yes... that kinda *is* micromanaging,  you'll also have to change the fps cap accordingly... *and* possibly your screens refreshrate.

im not saying this can't work, im saying this definitely doesn't work for me... i hate uneven framerates and gsync kinda doesn't avoid that, its constantly changing the refresh rate, with the result it constantly feels laggy. turn it off and all problems immediately go away... total waste of money in my view. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, SephiRock said:

That is the usual cost of removing screen tearing.

I use "fast sync" there's no tearing, no additional input lag, no constantly changing  refresh rate ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

ps: thats the thing, i tested this with 60fps lock (amongst other framerats, but its most noticeable at 60...) ... gsync on... it *still* constantly changes the refresh rate, like what in the world , it feels sooo bad, I keep missing inputs, can't react because there's always a huge delay... turn gsync off, bam, instant response! 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

I use "fast sync" there's no tearing, no additional input lag, no constantly changing  refresh rate ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

ps: thats the thing, i tested this with 60fps lock (amongst other framerats, but its most noticeable at 60...) ... gsync on... it *still* constantly changes the refresh rate, like what in the world , it feels sooo bad, I keep missing inputs, can't react because there's always a huge delay... turn gsync off, bam, instant response! 

G-sync really isn't supposed to do what you describe, quite the opposite actually.

Fast sync is indeed very cool, but it doesn't compensate for slight frametime variance like gsync + vsync is able to do.

But in any case, yeah, gsync isn't supposed to make your framerate more unstable or your game feel more laggy. Maybe you have a faulty unit or something ?