Struggling with high temps - advice needed.

AbsoluteWoo

Hi,

I am struggling with high temps with my system.

I built my PC just over 2 years ago and I've never had any issues before. I've never really monitored temps but my PC has always been pretty silent so I never really had the need to check. Recently I've noticed a huge increase in fan noise coming from my PC which prompted me to check temps. This is when I noticed my CPU was running around 65c and my coolant around 45c when I have pretty much nothing running. If I play a game, my CPU gets to about 80c and my coolant to 50c. When I first boot up my PC the CPU is in the high 30s and quickly rises to 60c, the coolant starts around 25c before starting to rise to 45c.

Because of this it's fairly loud when idle and annoyingly loud when gaming. If I set my fans to balanced in ICUE they spin at around 1200RPM. When gaming they all go to max RPM. I tried setting my fans to quiet but that made no difference. What I have currently done is set some custom fan curves so that the fans kick in later than usual. This hasn't really affected CPU temps but my coolant now runs about 5c higher than before in all situations (reaches 55c when gaming).

I originally thought it was my AIO so I RMA'd it with Corsair - no difference.
I have tried new thermal paste - no difference.
I have tried a Windows reinstall incase I had some rouge software thrashing the CPU - no difference. 

I keep my case clean, the fans are mostly free of dust (a few bits on the blades I can't get to). There is nothing blocking airflow. The ambient temperature in my office is around 23c. This rises to about 28c when I am gaming. My GPU doesn't seem to be getting too hot.

My specs are:

Case: Corsair 4000x

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
AIO: Corsair H100i Elite LCD XT
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 10GB OC
I have 4x Corsair SP120 RGB Elite fans (3x intakes at the front of my case, 1x exhaust at the back) and 2x Corsair AF120 RGB Elite fans as exhausts at the top (as part of the AIO).

Could this be a bad CPU that is simply running hotter than it needs to be? I could test it on a friends PC as a last resort.

Do I need a bigger case with more fans and a bigger AIO? I doubt this is the case because my friend with the same CPU has a similar sized case (with worse intake), same motherboard, a similar Corsair 240mm AIO and a 4080, and his temps are a good 20c lower than mine.

Do I need better fans? I have considered Noctua NF-F12s but I can't see them making much difference. Plus I don't think they'd suit my current build.

image.thumb.png.c5c27627dcc05de348a1fa39ac1cf936.png

14 minutes ago, AbsoluteWoo said:

Hi,

I built my PC just over 2 years ago and I've never had any issues before. I've never really monitored temps but my PC has always been pretty silent so I never really had the need to check. Recently I've noticed a huge increase in fan noise coming from my PC which prompted me to check temps. This is when I noticed my CPU was running around 65c and my coolant around 45c when I have pretty much nothing running. If I play a game, my CPU gets to about 80c and my coolant to 50c. When I first boot up my PC the CPU is in the high 30s and quickly rises to 60c, the coolant starts around 25c before starting to rise to 45c.

Because of this it's fairly loud when idle and annoyingly loud when gaming. If I set my fans to balanced in ICUE they spin at around 1200RPM. When gaming they all go to max RPM. I tried setting my fans to quiet but that made no difference. What I have currently done is set some custom fan curves so that the fans kick in later than usual. This hasn't really affected CPU temps but my coolant now runs about 5c higher than before in all situations (reaches 55c when gaming).

I have tried a Windows reinstall incase I had some rouge software thrashing the CPU - no difference. 

I keep my case clean, the fans are mostly free of dust (a few bits on the blades I can't get to). There is nothing blocking airflow. The ambient temperature in my office is around 23c. This rises to about 28c when I am gaming. My GPU doesn't seem to be getting too hot.

My specs are:

I have 4x Corsair SP120 RGB Elite fans (3x intakes at the front of my case, 1x exhaust at the back) and 2x Corsair AF120 RGB Elite fans as exhausts at the top (as part of the AIO).

Could this be a bad CPU that is simply running hotter than it needs to be? I could test it on a friends PC as a last resort.

Do I need a bigger case with more fans and a bigger AIO? I doubt this is the case because my friend with the same CPU has a similar sized case (with worse intake), same motherboard, a similar Corsair 240mm AIO and a 4080, and his temps are a good 20c lower than mine.

Do I need better fans? I have considered Noctua NF-F12s but I can't see them making much difference. Plus I don't think they'd suit my current build.

AP1GczNkwsmywSsNGtCpYl94QriHCzHm14bhEV6nTUZ4dFrTZ4iPQUD4NxcEDvGb0IDAsDexIID6C5QUmaEAXbz_uuXWWTVE54HotSLGZNFblOvG0BKIy_48xMMKR55rve1xxuD_zWim0MYfA_I8kUx5CVBLgYvHK07qk_9hRG2TkqCLAoYTaSVOXqicNxZ-We31f_cjO3XOmatOkZpWqakuxO7WepqwfdL0BTKM1720b4UaQozdP3SggIM-Mjl1qLivcEGROMhGXdIMjJTpnOl_YzRKuY1F5CStuxSvfZzhRc-qjAG3exnczCsJweb0QQDQUhNg4jw8aXGSKGh_rh0wb3f-Gy1vmkBcMQHgpBAK4azLGtyWLLsagrjiZ1vf8-eseUeKaj_v22fTgbvxIOCkK0lZ5TBfKQElKt9yw2GooXhoWlyC36zLpxZk9A-zZGj8AU6xURIb3Ue-rkJnDVIrT4cvkAFICylPx6XaeCBwrOQpJwHqA9fF4Il7r-GTJjYSfQVbW05WhSOeNVcjKhCUd7G9gMQ4VUgrro7XiA29SNUKsNTB1xQXiz-96-XpSjT6HEe3_4Z2nyWdIZy1JMnr3XnH4PQwn9dg7gzv9LVlmTG8Mwi1yIUaSafmniZR50WtSe46E27JezygE5BqL7BojsBFlluykEmfhQwRYGJrhalgJLx5gYjPVVWV6gKup72hXVu6REsVpEoUKKK5Lq2twTRf3RSisPFzyxlCGcMmz8lMAL141e1gkkLhz4u-5xCaSsN9IPdgTM3WWHYtxMMlzK-viWRSyCZoIgV03Yi5bsgzqkff-hXLXql6DjXeCAhKjVJ_UaJB41LZ3NsyS7HalWDERcmVq4f88OmjlG2J2YK3yq0-vQNU4YQ_uSe1dApchcLL--FCbL54xuOATxg=w1919-h1439-s-no-gm?authuser=0

Def check those cpu clock speeds and core loads with some kind of software. Maybe just task manager and run cinebench r23 and check.

I edit my messages more than not –

Probably some dude on the internet

21 minutes ago, Hellowpplz said:

Def check those cpu clock speeds and core loads with some kind of software. Maybe just task manager and run cinebench r23 and check.

I've just ran the Cinebench R23 multi-core benchmark. Score was 19019. I opened HWMonitor alongside it but tbh I'm not really sure what I am looking for here:

image.png.9b5fd08bcea053341d938a5725afa4bd.png

Just realised I've cut off the headings for each column. The last 3 columns are Value, Min and Max.

2 minutes ago, AbsoluteWoo said:

I've just ran the Cinebench R23 multi-core benchmark. Score was 19019. I opened HWMonitor alongside it but tbh I'm not really sure what I am looking for here:

image.png.9b5fd08bcea053341d938a5725afa4bd.png

Temps all look fine :// can you take a screenshot of when it's thermal throttling like you said and is getting really heated. I mean even my laptop with a 10th gen i9 and a vapor chamber does worse than this.

4 minutes ago, Hellowpplz said:

Temps all look fine :// can you take a screenshot of when it's thermal throttling like you said and is getting really heated. I mean even my laptop with a 10th gen i9 and a vapor chamber does worse than this.

I don't think it's thermally throttling (though after a quick Google 19000 for a 5900x is on the low side), my issue is more with consistenty high temps. They never drop much below 60c and because of this my fans are always much louder than they used to be.

Just now, AbsoluteWoo said:

I don't think it's thermally throttling (though after a quick Google 19000 for a 5900x is on the low side), my issue is more with consistenty high temps. They never drop much below 60c and because of this my fans are always much louder than they used to be.

Well what are your idle clock speeds. Could just be the cpu going at boost clock speed when idle for no reason at all. Usually just can fix this by disabling turbo with throttlestop whenever your not gaming. Just remember to put it back. I don't know any other more permanent fixes but until someone tells you how to do it I recommend that.

11 minutes ago, Hellowpplz said:

Well what are your idle clock speeds. Could just be the cpu going at boost clock speed when idle for no reason at all. Usually just can fix this by disabling turbo with throttlestop whenever your not gaming. Just remember to put it back. I don't know any other more permanent fixes but until someone tells you how to do it I recommend that.

I've reset HWInfo and these are the Core clocks with just Chrome and ICUE open:

image.png.8ce8083d6647c54babdfe5e9f82b95fb.png

3 minutes ago, AbsoluteWoo said:

I've reset HWInfo and these are the Core clocks with just Chrome and ICUE open:

image.png.8ce8083d6647c54babdfe5e9f82b95fb.png

Yea that's a little high...
Try messing with the speed shift epp values in throttlestop and turning it on. 0 will make it prefer max clock speeds (hotter but more consistently faster) and 255 makes it prefer the lowest clock speeds (cooler but slower until it deems it necessary but 255 will prob lock it down to minimum clock).

8 hours ago, AbsoluteWoo said:

2x Corsair AF120 RGB Elite fans as exhausts at the top (as part of the AIO).

Temps looks ok, but this part is one of the reasons for higher temps 

It’s a bit warm, especially for stock. But it is what it is.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

1 hour ago, freeagent said:

It’s a bit warm, especially for stock. But it is what it is.

So are you saying I just have a hotter-than-usual 5900x, and there's nothing to worry about?

5 hours ago, NorKris said:

Temps looks ok, but this part is one of the reasons for higher temps 

Would you suggest moving the AIO radiator to the front intake fans?

1 minute ago, AbsoluteWoo said:

Would you suggest moving the AIO radiator to the front intake fans?

always. 

14 hours ago, AbsoluteWoo said:

Hi,

My specs are:

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

AP1GczNkwsmywSsNGtCpYl94QriHCzHm14bhEV6nTUZ4dFrTZ4iPQUD4NxcEDvGb0IDAsDexIID6C5QUmaEAXbz_uuXWWTVE54HotSLGZNFblOvG0BKIy_48xMMKR55rve1xxuD_zWim0MYfA_I8kUx5CVBLgYvHK07qk_9hRG2TkqCLAoYTaSVOXqicNxZ-We31f_cjO3XOmatOkZpWqakuxO7WepqwfdL0BTKM1720b4UaQozdP3SggIM-Mjl1qLivcEGROMhGXdIMjJTpnOl_YzRKuY1F5CStuxSvfZzhRc-qjAG3exnczCsJweb0QQDQUhNg4jw8aXGSKGh_rh0wb3f-Gy1vmkBcMQHgpBAK4azLGtyWLLsagrjiZ1vf8-eseUeKaj_v22fTgbvxIOCkK0lZ5TBfKQElKt9yw2GooXhoWlyC36zLpxZk9A-zZGj8AU6xURIb3Ue-rkJnDVIrT4cvkAFICylPx6XaeCBwrOQpJwHqA9fF4Il7r-GTJjYSfQVbW05WhSOeNVcjKhCUd7G9gMQ4VUgrro7XiA29SNUKsNTB1xQXiz-96-XpSjT6HEe3_4Z2nyWdIZy1JMnr3XnH4PQwn9dg7gzv9LVlmTG8Mwi1yIUaSafmniZR50WtSe46E27JezygE5BqL7BojsBFlluykEmfhQwRYGJrhalgJLx5gYjPVVWV6gKup72hXVu6REsVpEoUKKK5Lq2twTRf3RSisPFzyxlCGcMmz8lMAL141e1gkkLhz4u-5xCaSsN9IPdgTM3WWHYtxMMlzK-viWRSyCZoIgV03Yi5bsgzqkff-hXLXql6DjXeCAhKjVJ_UaJB41LZ3NsyS7HalWDERcmVq4f88OmjlG2J2YK3yq0-vQNU4YQ_uSe1dApchcLL--FCbL54xuOATxg=w1919-h1439-s-no-gm?authuser=0

Those SP120s are weak. Put them on exhaust. Corsair puts them in to help sell their overpriced cases, knowing that they're crap. Intake fans should be stronger than exhaust, except for people who have a case that has to use negative pressure, which yours isn't.

You haven't shown us dangerous temps. Is your goal a quieter PC?

Undervolt the CPU, add more fans with stronger ones on intake, and make sure you're optimizing their positioning. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

24 minutes ago, AbsoluteWoo said:

So are you saying I just have a hotter-than-usual 5900x, and there's nothing to worry about?

It seems warm to me, here is mine:

Screenshot 2024-03-09 080417.png

Screenshot 2024-03-09 082459.png

3 minutes ago, freeagent said:

It seems warm to me, here is mine:

Screenshot 2024-03-09 080417.png

Screenshot 2024-03-09 082459.png

That makes my 12700k look pathetic. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

21 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Those SP120s are weak. Put them on exhaust. Corsair puts them in to help sell their overpriced cases, knowing that they're crap. Intake fans should be stronger than exhaust, except for people who have a case that has to use negative pressure, which yours isn't.

You haven't shown us dangerous temps. Is your goal a quieter PC?

Undervolt the CPU, add more fans with stronger ones on intake, and make sure you're optimizing their positioning. 

I've not seen any reviews that refer to the SP120s as weak, quite the opposite actually. Do you have any sources for this claim?

Yes my goal is a quieter PC. Without custom curves (and thus even higher temps) my fans spin at Max RPM pretty much all the time.

5 minutes ago, AbsoluteWoo said:

I've not seen any reviews that refer to the SP120s as weak, quite the opposite actually. Do you have any sources for this claim?

image.png.5ed278bbb97d3c9658f03a78d2189a94.png

Very meh

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

2 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

image.png.5ed278bbb97d3c9658f03a78d2189a94.png

Very meh

That airflow figure is very similar to fans from Noctua etc. I can't see a slight difference in CFM being the reason why my idle temps are 20c higher than they should be.

9 minutes ago, AbsoluteWoo said:

That airflow figure is very similar to fans from Noctua etc. I can't see a slight difference in CFM being the reason why my idle temps are 20c higher than they should be.

You need to look at static pressure for radiators, its decently abysmal for rad performance, and 52 isnt bad, nor is it in any way good though

The NF A12x25, a pretty direct comparison has 60cfm and 2.23 mmh20, quite a bit higher, and noctua fans are renowned for their bearings, build quality and sound, not necessarily their performance

My Prisma AL12s move 85.7cfm at 2.8mmh20 at ~£15 a pop

But I agree that it won't make 20C of difference, though I do believe it will make some difference

System specs:

23 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

You need to look at static pressure for radiators, its decently abysmal for rad performance, and 52 isnt bad, nor is it in any way good though

The NF A12x25, a pretty direct comparison has 60cfm and 2.23 mmh20, quite a bit higher, and noctua fans are renowned for their bearings, build quality and sound, not necessarily their performance

My Prisma AL12s move 85.7cfm at 2.8mmh20 at ~£15 a pop

But I agree that it won't make 20C of difference, though I do believe it will make some difference

My radiator fans are Corsair AF120 Elites.

image.png.bb6cdff1b08655a9773add23c81d00a3.png

A bit better than the SP120s. I did have SP120s on there with the previous AIO but changing the AIO and associated fans made no difference, so I don't think airflow or static pressure is the issue.

7 minutes ago, AbsoluteWoo said:

My radiator fans are Corsair AF120 Elites.

image.png.bb6cdff1b08655a9773add23c81d00a3.png

A bit better than the SP120s. I did have SP120s on there with the previous AIO but changing the AIO and associated fans made no difference, so I don't think airflow or static pressure is the issue.

Yeah theyre not too bad, id recommend above 2mmH20, ideally close to 3 for rad fans, cfm will follow generally. But those are live-with-able

Your fans are also pulling air through the rad, generally fans push air better than pull it, so you could flip them to push exhaust to see if that makes a difference?

System specs:

13 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

Yeah theyre not too bad, id recommend above 2mmH20, ideally close to 3 for rad fans, cfm will follow generally. But those are live-with-able

Your fans are also pulling air through the rad, generally fans push air better than pull it, so you could flip them to push exhaust to see if that makes a difference?

My radiator fans are exhausts at the top of the case. They push air through the fan.

2 minutes ago, AbsoluteWoo said:

My radiator fans are exhausts at the top of the case. They push air through the fan.

Ah apologies, i thought the tubes went into the first rectangle i seen in the image, was looking at it on my phone, can see it clearer now on my PC

System specs:

1 hour ago, RevGAM said:

That makes my 12700k look pathetic. 

You should be slightly ahead I think 🤔