I really want a multisystem desktop speaker system

planck times
Go to solution Solved by Omon_Ra,

The 'problem' with using a production/studio mixer is you'll need to use adapters to get the audio from each device. Typical mixers will have 1/4" jacks, so you'll need 1/8" to 1/4" adapters and cables (cheap and easy to get). So you'll have a mess of cords. And most of the smaller 4/6 channel mixers will only have two or three stereo inputs, and then split L/R stereo inputs, so you'd need another adapter to split the TRS stereo...or you have to step up to a larger 8/10 channel mixer. If you get a mixer with USB, you can decide if you want the PC or Mac to be the 'main' system, and send audio over USB rather than analog, so that would be one less analog input you'd have to deal with. If you do any streaming, this would be the way to go.

An AV receiver is an option as well. You don't mention how you have all these devices hooked up to the monitor, do you have an HDMI switch or are you just using all of the inputs on the monitor? There's definitely some drawbacks to an AV receiver, they can get rather pricey if you're looking for new ones, and if want the receiver to pass through all the 4K HDR/HFR goodness. They are also pretty large, so if desk space is a concern, you may want to pass. But, the problem you're having is what an AV receiver was built to solve. One thing that the mixer will be better for (regardless if streaming or not) is if you want to listen to multiple device audio at the same time. AV receiver will only do one input at a time; a mixer you could have all 4 devices playing audio at the same time if you really wanted.

The last option...which is kind of the easiest, but also could be problematic, is if your monitor has a headphone/line out. I will say most of the time the audio cards in monitors are pretty junk and noisy, so YMMV, but you could have all of your devices going into your monitor, use the headphone/line out, and either hook up your headphones or a set of speakers to that. But again, this may sound like doodoo...try it out and see.

I have a PC, a MacBook, a ps5 a switch all connected to one monitor as my setup. Now, I just use a wired headphone on my PC and PS5, AirPods on my Mac and switch, It is a pain in the butt. I want to add a pair of desktop sparks and connect all my systems to it. Is there any solution out there for that?

4 minutes ago, planck times said:

I have a PC, a MacBook, a ps5 a switch all connected to one monitor as my setup. Now, I just use a wired headphone on my PC and PS5, AirPods on my Mac and switch, It is a pain in the butt. I want to add a pair of desktop sparks and connect all my systems to it. Is there any solution out there for that?

https://www.amazon.com/Switcher-Selector-Splitter-Controller(4-Out)-MC41/dp/B09KLH5GHK/ref=sr_1_5?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.h3Yy0SoSsqf0140O5rVDqeyER28blFyFtGlmc7UgFYrGErq-3Bv-04nWPum0u2yNIbWUGQEjmaNmvVxKHEBq8Lm0bfy2_ZOKeF9hcdfKFTAuibojvzScocto2iczEryNPPouL2irCO202syD7FXjyeeXsdk9-hoHwRKSXuZds3j4gNTgP6LKyryZwl99zPcm-oHDAyx2pC35E-shac-H9AfQDxvs_AXseVr6ZK6x_Y4.TGmHqVTVHCNNLi6xd4miQJFkGWvG4CzQ34nEVfCqS0Q&dib_tag=se&keywords=stereo+audio+switcher&qid=1710149674&sr=8-5

You can only use one at a time, but audio switchers are what you need.

... or if you're dialing in to higher segmentations of audio, just go BT with a pair of 3 inch studio monitors.

As weird as it might sound, I'm thinking of hooking up my MIDIPLUS MI3 speakers to my TV.

They're tiny, cheap speakers for basic MIDI keyboard play. A lot of versatility with BT hookup though... you can get some for like 50 bucks and roll everything off of 3 inch studio monitors.

24 minutes ago, Motifator said:

... or if you're dialing in to higher segmentations of audio, just go BT with a pair of 3 inch studio monitors.

As weird as it might sound, I'm thinking of hooking up my MIDIPLUS MI3 speakers to my TV.

They're tiny, cheap speakers for basic MIDI keyboard play. A lot of versatility with BT hookup though... you can get some for like 50 bucks and roll everything off of 3 inch studio monitors.

Dealing with bluetooth across multiple devices can be a pain in the ass. I have a speaker that I use on the deck. It randomly chooses what it wants to connect to, my tablet, my phone, my PC or whoever last was paired with it.

1 minute ago, Blue4130 said:

Dealing with bluetooth across multiple devices can be a pain in the ass. I have a speaker that I use on the deck. It randomly chooses what it wants to connect to, my tablet, my phone, my PC or whoever last was paired with it.

Correct, but you'll put it to the one you main so... there's that.

Something like the Mackie ProFX v3+ series mixer would allow you to route and have independent control over all your audio routing, and can also have simultaneous headphone/speaker usage without the need of a switcher. You will need a good amount of cables that route each device back to the mixer, and ensure your speakers support analog inputs.

Yeah, call me the stereotype but I'm quite a Yamaha guy myself. If it doesn't say Yamaha on it... it doesn't get my... capitalist approval even if the Behringer is better LOL.

Frank opinion? Yes, Mackie all the way...

3 minutes ago, Motifator said:

If it doesn't say Yamaha on it... it doesn't get my... capitalist approval

Yamaha definitely has some great products, however I'm not sure if they currently have a model that has built-in bluetooth compatibility. (You need to get the + series)

15 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Yamaha definitely has some great products, however I'm not sure if they currently have a model that has built-in bluetooth compatibility. (You need to get the + series)

Correct, their mixers are older versions. I actually got some Mackie CR4's and they run a great one for the amount of cash I paid... low noise, cranked up... doesn't seem to care for a pair of $50 speakers.

Being active is another bonus just so I could rock out with instruments when want to.

The 'problem' with using a production/studio mixer is you'll need to use adapters to get the audio from each device. Typical mixers will have 1/4" jacks, so you'll need 1/8" to 1/4" adapters and cables (cheap and easy to get). So you'll have a mess of cords. And most of the smaller 4/6 channel mixers will only have two or three stereo inputs, and then split L/R stereo inputs, so you'd need another adapter to split the TRS stereo...or you have to step up to a larger 8/10 channel mixer. If you get a mixer with USB, you can decide if you want the PC or Mac to be the 'main' system, and send audio over USB rather than analog, so that would be one less analog input you'd have to deal with. If you do any streaming, this would be the way to go.

An AV receiver is an option as well. You don't mention how you have all these devices hooked up to the monitor, do you have an HDMI switch or are you just using all of the inputs on the monitor? There's definitely some drawbacks to an AV receiver, they can get rather pricey if you're looking for new ones, and if want the receiver to pass through all the 4K HDR/HFR goodness. They are also pretty large, so if desk space is a concern, you may want to pass. But, the problem you're having is what an AV receiver was built to solve. One thing that the mixer will be better for (regardless if streaming or not) is if you want to listen to multiple device audio at the same time. AV receiver will only do one input at a time; a mixer you could have all 4 devices playing audio at the same time if you really wanted.

The last option...which is kind of the easiest, but also could be problematic, is if your monitor has a headphone/line out. I will say most of the time the audio cards in monitors are pretty junk and noisy, so YMMV, but you could have all of your devices going into your monitor, use the headphone/line out, and either hook up your headphones or a set of speakers to that. But again, this may sound like doodoo...try it out and see.