Creating a High-End Router : Awsome project from a youtuber

Hello LTT forum,

I've been following Tomaž Zaman, a YouTuber who is planning to create a high-end router.

His focus isn't solely on providing behind-the-scenes insights into the design and planning process but also on everything involved in commercializing it.... from picking components for the device and seeking investors and establishing a company.

What sets this project apart is its commitment to transparency. Through his videos and posts, he intends to document every step of the process, from idea to execution.

He's already uploaded several videos, ranging from the presentation of his prototype to announcing his interest in creating and selling the device. He's also discussed potential pricing based on the bill of materials he's already shared.

Summary

Personally, I don't know him beyond his channel, but I am very interested in this project, and I believe it deserves  a litter of exposure for everyone to appreciate. By sharing this project with all of you, I hope to generate additional interest and foster a community that can contribute ideas and feedback.

Sources

His YouTube Channel:https://www.youtube.com/@tomazzaman

Watched the video. I don't see anything special about this router. There are several existing products that can run pfsense or opensense that have all the features he was suggesting and more.

I wish him luck, but I don't see the project becoming a viable business venture.

He talks a lot about the hardware and that's the easy part. The difficult part is the software and supporting it long term.

Pfsense or opnsense already exist, and are both free. Finding cheap old PC’s to run them is easy… 

I don’t think there is much room in this space for yet another solution. As said above, it’s the maintenance and upkeep that makes this difficult. Continually patching software is difficult, but pfsense has enterprise money behind it, thankfully. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

16 hours ago, Bdavis said:

Watched the video. I don't see anything special about this router. There are several existing products that can run pfsense or opensense that have all the features he was suggesting and more.

I wish him luck, but I don't see the project becoming a viable business venture.

He talks a lot about the hardware and that's the easy part. The difficult part is the software and supporting it long term.

14 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

Pfsense or opnsense already exist, and are both free. Finding cheap old PC’s to run them is easy… 

I don’t think there is much room in this space for yet another solution. As said above, it’s the maintenance and upkeep that makes this difficult. Continually patching software is difficult, but pfsense has enterprise money behind it, thankfully. 

Thanks for the feedback... and I agree that having pfsense or any other solution of that kind, whether on old hardware or virtual, is trivial Nowadays. However, the proposal he offers is to keep the process as transparent as possible. And he has mentions commitment on the long term, but as I said before, I don't know him or what it entails...

And Yes, I think we know someone who spent over 3 years working on a screwdriver and when it was released it took last than a week to have cheap knock-offs in the market...so, I can't imagine what would have happened if he would shared every ideal of the process to the public. 😛

But perhaps my naive inner self wants to think that we could have a project where we have access to not only aspect of the development process, from hardware and software at long terms, but insights into the business dynamics.

...one can hope 🙂

Regards

2 hours ago, Nathy Pooh said:

Thanks for the feedback... and I agree that having pfsense or any other solution of that kind, whether on old hardware or virtual, is trivial Nowadays. However, the proposal he offers is to keep the process as transparent as possible. And he has mentions commitment on the long term, but as I said before, I don't know him or what it entails...

And Yes, I think we know someone who spent over 3 years working on a screwdriver and when it was released it took last than a week to have cheap knock-offs in the market...so, I can't imagine what would have happened if he would shared every ideal of the process to the public. 😛

But perhaps my naive inner self wants to think that we could have a project where we have access to not only aspect of the development process, from hardware and software at long terms, but insights into the business dynamics.

...one can hope 🙂

Regards

So he is just making this...?

https://shop.netgate.com/products/1537-base-pfsense

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

So he is just making this...?

https://shop.netgate.com/products/1537-base-pfsense

Netgate has stuff way cheaper than that for home users anyways. Just stay away from sg1100’s. I have purchased 4, and have had 5 fail or have randomly had corrupted eMMC… yes, you read that correctly. Even the RMA unit had issues. Love pfsense, hate sg1100’s. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Just now, LIGISTX said:

Netgate has stuff way cheaper than that for home users anyways. Just stay away from sg1100’s. I have purchased 4, and have had 5 fail or have randomly had corrupted eMMC… yes, you read that correctly. Even the RMA unit had issues. Love pfsense, hate sg1100’s. 

I know that they have cheaper stuff, but I was looking at what they have that would be equivalent to what this youtuber is trying to make. A high-end router.

Pity that they can't make reliable hardware.