IronWolf not reallocating sectors if it finds suspicious sectors?

Go to solution Solved by Mumintroll,

Ok so I have contacted their live agent support again and got some more clear answers...

Apparently everything from that forum post at Quora I mentioned is true. NAS drives doesn't usually have that built-in sector reallocation feature. If the harddrive finds a suspicious sector it won't try to reallocate it, it'll just mark is as bad and move on, and so the data will get corrupted.

Both Ironwolf and Ironwolf Pro series are NAS harddrives and they lack this sector reallocation feature.

So it's actually not recommended to put an Ironwolf into a regular home pc.

I'm so sad and angry about this piece of information!

Ironwolf drives are marketed as more robust, more reliable, more anti-vibration and so on. And the regular Ironwolf doesn't explicity be marketed as a NAS drive but mostly as a high end harddrive. 

And that NAS drives generally lack this sector reallocation feature is not a common knowlegde. In many other forums people tend to give thumbs up for Ironwolf and recommend them over the regular consumer harddrives.

I guess I'll be looking for an ssd soon to replace it....

I have an Ironwolf 4tb in my regular home pc. I choose Ironwolf because it's said to have better reliability than the Barracuda drives. It's not an Ironwolf Pro, but a "regular" Ironwolf.

I've read that it's primarly meant to put into a NAS with a RAID controller.

Now I have stumbled across an old forum thread from Quora stating that harddrives made for NAS are lacking some built-in features that "regular" harddrives have when it comes to handle suspicious sectors.

A regular harddrive would try to read the suspicious sector several times and if successfull reading it will relocate the data to a spare sector, then mark the suspicious sector as perhaps a bad sector or current pending sector.

However a NAS harddrive would lack this feature and if it finds a suspicious sector it will directly mark it as bad and not try to retrieve any data there. For that you need the NAS drive in a RAID controller.

Now I know how much weird and false info are circulating around the net. But I don't know enough about NAS drives if this is true, and I don't know if my Ironwolf 4tb (ST4000VN006-3CW104) is considired as a NAS drive or just a high-end regular harddrive. I did chat with Seagate's live agents support service but I didn't get a clear answer really... Can anyone of you give a correct answer? 

Here's the link on Quora (that gave me a hiccup), it's the post that someone named Kenneth Durham made.

Can a NAS HDD be used in a desktop? Read description. - Quora

A part of his postat Quora:

"All of the major harddrive makers have responded by creating a series of drives that do not perform any sector reallocation internally. These drives do not have any type of data protection and recovery system built into them because they are explicitly intended to be used only with a RAID controller. That is the primary difference in what are sold as NAS harddrives.

So, what happens if we connect a NAS harddrive to a desktop computer? Initially, it will work just fine. But, as the drive ages and naturally experiences read errors, it will not be able to recover the data at all. You will experience data corruption and data loss. This is unavoidable when you use a drive that has no mechanism to protect your data against expected read errors."

For those recommending me to replace it with an SSD instead: Yes I will eventually, whenever I can afford it. The larger SSDs are still much more expensive than harddrives so I'll have to wait until I can.

And yes I do make backups of my important stuff.

I got my Ironwolf in october last year and so far no errors reported yet.

Are you having any issues with your specific drive? I'd just keep using and not worry about it. If the drive acts up, restore backups.

From all I know NAS drives have a different timeout if the drive has issues that's shorter than desktop drives to keep raid cards happy. 

I haven't seen any good evidence that a NAS drive is more reliable, so I'd just get desktop drives next time(but at 4TB I'd really just get a SSD with prices these days).

Ok so I have contacted their live agent support again and got some more clear answers...

Apparently everything from that forum post at Quora I mentioned is true. NAS drives doesn't usually have that built-in sector reallocation feature. If the harddrive finds a suspicious sector it won't try to reallocate it, it'll just mark is as bad and move on, and so the data will get corrupted.

Both Ironwolf and Ironwolf Pro series are NAS harddrives and they lack this sector reallocation feature.

So it's actually not recommended to put an Ironwolf into a regular home pc.

I'm so sad and angry about this piece of information!

Ironwolf drives are marketed as more robust, more reliable, more anti-vibration and so on. And the regular Ironwolf doesn't explicity be marketed as a NAS drive but mostly as a high end harddrive. 

And that NAS drives generally lack this sector reallocation feature is not a common knowlegde. In many other forums people tend to give thumbs up for Ironwolf and recommend them over the regular consumer harddrives.

I guess I'll be looking for an ssd soon to replace it....

On 3/5/2024 at 11:06 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Are you having any issues with your specific drive? I'd just keep using and not worry about it. If the drive acts up, restore backups.

From all I know NAS drives have a different timeout if the drive has issues that's shorter than desktop drives to keep raid cards happy. 

I haven't seen any good evidence that a NAS drive is more reliable, so I'd just get desktop drives next time(but at 4TB I'd really just get a SSD with prices these days).

I don't have any problems yet, but as I've now found out it's missing the sector reallocation feature.

I'll look for an ssd.

it’s not like you can always read bad sector, and such sector is relocated, without the data. 
sometimes you can, sometimes you can't.

if HDD do have even one bad sector ( even if relocated ), I do not trust it anymore, and it can do only secondary backups, or refs file system.

So lack of that feature isn't really something I care.

and what’s the alternative, buy standard barracuda SMR drives, no thank you.

Spoiler
CPU : Intel 14gen i7-14700K
COOLER :  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 White + thermaltake toughfan 12 white + Thermal Grizzly - CPU Contact Frame Intel 13./14. +  Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra
GPU : MSI RTX 2070 Armor @GPU 2050MHz Mem 8200MHz -> USB C 10Gb/s cable 2m -> Unitek 4x USB HUB 10 Gb/s (Y-HB08003)
MOBO : MSI MEG Z690 UNIFY
RAM :  Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) 6400 MHz CL32 (CMK64GX5M2B6400C32)
SSD : Intel Optane 905P 960GB U.2 (OS) + 2 x WD SN850X 4TB + 2 x PNY CS3140 2TB + ASM2824 PCIe switch -> 4 x Plextor M8PeG 1TB + flexiDOCK MB014SP-B -> Crucial MX500 2TB + GoodRam Iridium PRO 960GB + Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
HDD : WD White 18TB WD180EDFZ + SATA port multiplier adp6st0-j05 (JMB575) ->  WD Gold 8TB WD8002FRYZ + WD Gold 4TB WD4002FYYZ + WD Red PRO 4TB WD4001FFSX + WD Green 2TB WD20EARS
EXTERNAL
HDD/SSD : 
XT-XINTE LM906 (JMS583) -> Plextor M8PeG 1TB + WD My Passport slim 1TB + LaCie Porsche Design Mobile Drive 1TB USB-C + Zalman ZM-VE350 -> Goodram IRDM PRO 240GB
PSU :  Super Flower leadex platinum 750 W biały -> Bitfenix alchemy extensions białe/białe + AsiaHorse 16AWG White 
UPS :  CyberPower CP1500EPFCLCD -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 8 -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 10
LCD :  LG 32UD59-B + LG flatron IPS236 -> Silverstone SST-ARM11BC
CASE :  Fractal R5 Biały + Lian Li BZ-H06A srebrny + 6 x Thermaltake toughfan 14 white + Thermalright TL-B8W
SPEAKERS :  Aune S6 Pro -> Topping PA3-B -> Polk S20e black -> Monoprice stand 16250
HEADPHONES :  TOSLINK 2m -> Aune S6 Pro -> 2 x Monoprice Premier 1.8m 16AWG 3-pin XLR -> Monoprice Monolith THX AAA 887 -> 4-pin XLR na 2 x 3.5mm 16 cores OCC 2m Cable -> HiFiMAN Edition XS -> sheepskin pads + 4-pin XLR na 2 x 2.5mm ABLET silver 2m  Cable -> Monoprice Monolith M1060 + Brainwavz HM100 -> Brainwavz sheepskin oval pads + Wooden double Ɪ Stand + Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7BK -> sheepskin pads + Multibrackets MB1893 + Sennheiser Momentum 3 +  Philips Fidelio X2HR/00 + JBL J88 White
MIC :  Tonor TC30 -> Mozos SB38
KEYBOARD : Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent (EU) + Glorious PC Gaming Race Stealth Slim - Full Size Black + PQI MyLockey
MOUSE :  Logitech MX ERGO + 2 x Logitech MX Performance + Logitech G Pro wireless + Logitech G Pro Gaming -> Hotline Games 2.0 Plus + Corsair MM500 3xl + Corsair MM300 Extended + Razer goliathus control
CONTROLLERS :  Microsoft xbox series x controller pc (1VA-00002) -> brainwavz audio Controller Holder UGC2 + Microsoft xbox 360 wireless black + Ravcore Javelin
NET :  Intel x520-DA2 -> 2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT + 2 x ASUS ZenWiFi Pro XT12
NAS :  Qnap TS-932X-2G -> Noctua NF-P14s redux 1200 PWM -> Kingston 16GB 2400Mhz CL14 (HX424S14IB/16) -> 9 x Crucial MX500 2TB ->  2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT -> 2 x Digitus (DK-HD2533-05/3)

On 3/6/2024 at 2:06 PM, Mumintroll said:

I don't have any problems yet, but as I've now found out it's missing the sector reallocation feature.

I'll look for an ssd.

NAS drives will still reallocate bad sectors, but they have a different time out to keep raid cards happy. 

If the drive works I wouldn't touch it. Keep backups of the drive so your data stays safe. No drive is perfect, and any drive can fail at any time with no warning.