Why can't I put my PC to sleep when folding@home is running, but I can when BOINC is running.

Why can't I put my PC to sleep when folding@home is running, but I can when BOINC is running?

Making your computer go to sleep while it is folding is counterproductive. It would mean the WU takes longer to complete, and potentially even time out, wasting time for everybody. Not sure why BOINC allows it.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

39 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Making your computer go to sleep while it is folding is counterproductive. It would mean the WU takes longer to complete, and potentially even time out, wasting time for everybody. Not sure why BOINC allows it.

That wasn't an answer/solution to my question. And besides, I have Folding@home set to checkpoint every 3 min, and BOINC to checkpoint down to once every second, so it's only 3 minutes lost, and it's easier just to hit the Fn + sleep key on my keyboard when I go out or go to sleep, while the PC is locked and the screen is off, than having to turn on my monitor, login in, close folding@home, and then press sleep. It should be possible, even if from within the folding@home settings.

3 minutes ago, kasdashd said:

And besides, I have Folding@home set to checkpoint every 3 min, and BOINC to checkpoint down to once every second, so it's only 3 minutes lost, …

From F@H's point of view, you lose whatever amount of time your computer is asleep before the WU is completed. If that amount of time is longer than the WU's time out, it is aborted and has to be repeated by somebody else.

The answer to your question is: F@H actively prevents your computer from sleeping, because it makes no sense to have it go to sleep when it is supposed to be working. You can pause the WU manually, or ideally set it to complete the current WU long enough for it to complete before you want to turn off the machine.

10 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

From F@H's point of view, you lose whatever amount of time your computer is asleep before the WU is completed. If that amount of time is longer than the WU's time out, it is aborted and has to be repeated by somebody else.

The answer to your question is: F@H actively prevents your computer from sleeping, because it makes no sense to have it go to sleep when it is supposed to be working. You can pause the WU manually, or ideally set it to complete the current WU long enough for it to complete before you want to turn off the machine.

But it’s not about it making sense for folding@home, it’s about maximum flexibility for the user. It’s my PC and my copy of the software, even though it’s free, so I should be able to use it how I see fit. But this is why I’m only running BOINC now, cause of the sleep functionality, but it’s not half as bad as having to have your mobile device plugged in all the time, when using the app “dreamlab”, that’s annoying, that you can’t use it on battery power.

3 hours ago, kasdashd said:

But it’s not about it making sense for folding@home, it’s about maximum flexibility for the user.

You have said flexibility. You can just pause F@H before putting the machine to sleep, and then there should be no reason for it to stop the computer from sleeping.

(I have also experienced the GPU slot crashing when the computer goes to sleep so that might also be part of the reason, though that was on Linux, so it might not be a F@H problem)

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

5 hours ago, kasdashd said:

But it’s not about it making sense for folding@home, it’s about maximum flexibility for the user.

As a general rule of thumb, it does not make sense for a computer to go to sleep while folding.

Less experienced users might not know how to prevent that. More experienced users probably don't want to have to adjust their configuration any time they fold. Or might simply forget to do so.

Having the client prevent it is a sane default that probably works for most users out of the box.

Nothing stops you from pausing or stopping the client any time you want. it should only take one extra click.

4 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

As a general rule of thumb, it does not make sense for a computer to go to sleep while folding.

Less experienced users might not know how to prevent that. More experienced users probably don't want to have to adjust their configuration any time they fold. Or might simply forget to do so.

Having the client prevent it is a sane default that probably works for most users out of the box.

Nothing stops you from pausing or stopping the client any time you want. it should only take one extra click.

Ok, but still, it's not just one extra click, it's turning on my monitor, typing in my password, pressing stop, closing the software, web version on task tray both, and then I can put my PC to sleep.

1 hour ago, kasdashd said:

Ok, but still, it's not just one extra click, it's turning on my monitor, typing in my password, pressing stop, closing the software, web version on task tray both, and then I can put my PC to sleep.

Why do you need to close the software before you enter sleep mode? Couldn't you use the client's web interface to pause it (e.g. from your phone), then press the power button to go to sleep once it has paused?

Here's something I found on their forums: https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?t=24737

Sleep mode is disabled by default as it is not compatible with GPU folding. The WU in process will usually be corrupted as during sleep the system does not maintain the contents of the GPU's RAM. You would need to pause folding on the GPU first before the machine goes into sleep or hibernation.

2 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

Why do you need to close the software before you enter sleep mode? Couldn't you use the client's web interface to pause it (e.g. from your phone), then press the power button to go to sleep once it has paused?

Here's something I found on their forums: https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?t=24737

But what is the purpose then of the settings where you can choose the interval of checkpoints from 3 to 30 minutes?

7 hours ago, kasdashd said:

typing in my password

ARCANITE USB Fingerprint Reader for Windows Hello

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07VK71TST/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

4 hours ago, wONKEyeYEs said:

Thanks, but not looking for worksrounds, which only benefit me. Either folding@home changes ther settings, to benefit everyone, or I just use BOINC instead, and leave Folding@hone alone, which I’ll do now. You can just close this thread.

8 hours ago, kasdashd said:

But what is the purpose then of the settings where you can choose the interval of checkpoints from 3 to 30 minutes?

Yes, that setting should avoid having to start over in case you stop/start. Not sure if that also works reliably in case of corruption. But as I said above, disabling sleep by default makes sense for most users, who would likely not know how, or forget to do it.

From what I've found, there should be a "disable-sleep-when-active" setting you can turn to false. Just keep in mind that your computer might go to sleep on its own, if "sleep after X minutes" isn't disabled in Windows power settings in this case.

Just now, kasdashd said:

Either folding@home changes ther settings, to benefit everyone,

I would argue the default setting benefits the most users already, for the reasons I've given above.

6 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

Yes, that setting should avoid having to start over in case you stop/start. Not sure if that also works reliably in case of corruption. But as I said above, disabling sleep by default makes sense for most users, who would likely not know how, or forget to do it.

From what I've found, there should be a "disable-sleep-when-active" setting you can turn to false. Just keep in mind that your computer might go to sleep on its own, if "sleep after X minutes" isn't disabled in Windows power settings in this case.

I would argue the default setting benefits the most users already, for the reasons I've given above.

Ok, but I have disabled all the sleep settings in my ultimate performance power plan, so it never goes to sleep unless I decide so, and it’s running a maximum performance all the time. I only put it to sleep when I’m not in my room, so my parents don’t ask me why my PC is on, and also when I’m sleeping, cause I’m using the stock coolers, which aren’t that quiet, but then I just have my phone running dreamlab “mobile” BOINC during the night instead.