M.2 SSD won't fit in my MOBO, any ideas?

I'm doing a new build and I encountered a weird issue. My Samsung 990 PRO with heatsink will not fit into my GIGABYTE B760 GAMING X because the MOBO heatsink doesn't allow the SSD to slot in by around 1mm.

BUILD

CPU: INTEL CORE I5-13400

GPU: GIGABYTE GAMING RTX 4060

MOBO: GIGABYTE B760 GAMING X

SSD: SAMSUNG 990 PRO 1TB
RAM: CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB 2X 16GB 5600

AIO: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L V2 ARGB

PSU: GIGABYTE GP-P550B

CASE: LOGIC ARYA ARGB

6 minutes ago, Nirado said:

I'm doing a new build and I encountered a weird issue. My Samsung 990 PRO with heatsink will not fit into my GIGABYTE B760 GAMING X because the MOBO heatsink doesn't allow the SSD to slot in by around 1mm.

BUILD

Return it and get the model without the heatsink. though for a budget build I wouldn't spend that much for an SSD

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

When you say mobo heatsink, do you mean the heatspreader covering the M.2 slot or

the heatsink on the CPU?

17 minutes ago, Nirado said:

BUILD

What? Buys a SSD with heatsink and complains that it doesn't fit when there's a provided heatsink by the motherboard?

If I knew the my mobo has built-in heatsink for the M.2, I would just bought 990 Pro without the heatsink.

17 minutes ago, Nirado said:

My Samsung 990 PRO with heatsink will not fit into my GIGABYTE B760 GAMING X because the MOBO heatsink doesn't allow the SSD to slot in by around 1mm

Return the SSD with the heatsink and buy one that doesn't have a heatsink.

Install the M.2 and leave the motherboard heatsink off. Or exchange the SSD for one without a heatsink built in.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 hour ago, Renegade042 said:

When you say mobo heatsink, do you mean the heatspreader covering the M.2 slot or

the heatsink on the CPU?

The heatspreader on the MOBO. The one next to the CPU.

1 hour ago, AlfaProto said:

What? Buys a SSD with heatsink and complains that it doesn't fit when there's a provided heatsink by the motherboard?

If I knew the my mobo has built-in heatsink for the M.2, I would just bought 990 Pro without the heatsink.

I thought I could discard the included motherboard heatsink and just use the ssd one

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

Install the M.2 and leave the motherboard heatsink off. Or exchange the SSD for one without a heatsink built in.

That's not the problem, the thing is the M.2 SSD can't be installed because of the MOBO heatsink right above it and Samsung doesn't advise removing the heatsink from the 990 Pro

Can I use one of my other M.2 slots? Does it impact performance majorly if I use M2P_SB?

MOBO M.2 SPECS:

CPU:
1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 22110/2280 PCIe 4.0 x4/x2 SSD support) (M2A_CPU)
Chipset:
2 x M.2 connectors (Socket 3, M key, type 22110/2280 PCIe 4.0 x4/x2 SSD support) (M2P_SB, M2M_SB)

1 minute ago, Nirado said:

Can I use one of my other M.2 slots? Does it impact performance majorly if I use M2P_SB?

MOBO M.2 SPECS:

CPU:
1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 22110/2280 PCIe 4.0 x4/x2 SSD support) (M2A_CPU)
Chipset:
2 x M.2 connectors (Socket 3, M key, type 22110/2280 PCIe 4.0 x4/x2 SSD support) (M2P_SB, M2M_SB)

Check your motherboard manual. Either one should work fine, but some M.2 slots will disable SATA slots if used. Once in a blue moon (and Gigabyte boards are frequently blue moons), you'll find a board that can't boot off of a certain slot.

Basically, you should be fine.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

4 hours ago, Nirado said:

I thought I could discard the included motherboard heatsink and just use the ssd one

image.png.b52b64a0347486acd1b2e9ccd4f9772b.png

3 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Check your motherboard manual. Either one should work fine, but some M.2 slots will disable SATA slots if used. Once in a blue moon (and Gigabyte boards are frequently blue moons), you'll find a board that can't boot off of a certain slot.

Basically, you should be fine.

3 hours ago, Nirado said:

MOBO M.2 SPECS:

CPU:
Chipset:

I'm pretty sure you can remove the mobo heatsink and just run like that.

There's literally reviews of the 990 Pro with heatsink, or even other SSD with heatsink pre-attached, you must already know that it's NOT recommended to remove them, and you still bought them.

No, there's little impact. Rather than running off the CPU PCIE lanes, it's running off chipset PCIE lanes, and there will be latency.