240 vs 360 Rad

Go to solution Solved by MiszS,

I'd go for the 240mm top mount, because the difference between 240 and 360mm is pretty small, but if you mount it on the front it will worsen the gpu perfomance, and the lifespan of the AIO, because the pump isn't at the bottom of the loop

Hi guys,

seeing as the Liquid Freezer III recently released, this seems like a good time to get an AiO. Now I have the option to fit a 360mm rad in the front of the case or a 240 in the top (also pretend this is going to cool a 5800x3d). What would the tradeoff be between presumably better CPU temps due to a bigger radiator and worse airflow/-temps in the rest of the case? Does it make more sense to go with the 240 here or is the difference in CPU temps too large?

Thanks in advance

I'd go for the 240mm top mount, because the difference between 240 and 360mm is pretty small, but if you mount it on the front it will worsen the gpu perfomance, and the lifespan of the AIO, because the pump isn't at the bottom of the loop

9 minutes ago, san-e said:

eeing as the Liquid Freezer III recently released, this seems like a good time to get an AiO.

why? just stick with tower cooler?

10 minutes ago, san-e said:

Does it make more sense to go with the 240 here or is the difference in CPU temps too large?

if you're not concerned about aesthetics, Air Coolers can be more powerful than 240mm rads and almost as good as 360mm while costing less

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

I mean i hope you aren't considering a water cooler because you think the cpu will somehow perform better with it. if the cpu isn't currently overheating , then a water cooler isn't going to do a single thing for performance.