This can make your wifi feel faster, if you're not downloading big files

kasdashd

If you're not downloading big files, or don't mind waiting longer for downloads, you can change your Wifi channel width from like 80mhz to 20mhz. This will reduce your download and upload speed by 75%, but will make loading websites, games, and videos faster, csuse the latency is lower, and the connection more stable, since your connection has many more channels to choose from, indstead of competing with your neightbours about only a few channels. This works best the 5ghz band, and of course 6ghz, if you have that new standard already, because 2.4Ghz often uses 20mhz anyway, but lacks the low latency of 5Ghz.

8 minutes ago, kasdashd said:

If you're not downloading big files, or don't mind waiting longer for downloads, you can change your Wifi channel width from like 80mhz to 20mhz. This will reduce your download and upload speed by 75%, but will make loading websites, games, and videos faster, csuse the latency is lower, and the connection more stable, since your connection has many more channels to choose from, indstead of competing with your neightbours about only a few channels. This works best the 5ghz band, and of course 6ghz, if you have that new standard already, because 2.4Ghz often uses 20mhz anyway, but lacks the low latency of 5Ghz.

How

34 minutes ago, Blazepoint5 said:

How

As I said, it "feels" faster, you can't benchmark or measure, it's something you have to try. It's like disabling virtual memory on your PC or Android phone, if you have a powerful enough device, then you'll notice it.

Changing the width of a highway doesn't magically make it feel faster or reduce latency, what you said has no basis in reality.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

34 minutes ago, kasdashd said:

As I said, it "feels" faster, you can't benchmark or measure, it's something you have to try. It's like disabling virtual memory on your PC or Android phone, if you have a powerful enough device, then you'll notice it.

How can i enable it on my phone and pc.

6 minutes ago, Blazepoint5 said:

How can i enable it on my phone and pc.

You can change it on your wifi router or access point

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Once again a useless recommendation without mentioning the reasons and caveats/drawbacks.

1) it's highly dependent on equipment and environment so that's not universally true, wider channels only get poorer latency if there is interference.

2) It seems 20MHz on 5GHz is too limiting, and if a general recommendation had to be made 40MHz seems to be the sweet spot with lower latency than 20 unless there's unusually high interference.

55 minutes ago, kasdashd said:

As I said, it "feels" faster, you can't benchmark or measure

For network latency if it feels faster then you can measure it.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

41 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

You can change it on your wifi router or access point

Ohh.

Lmao i literally see you on almost every thread i enter.

20 minutes ago, Blazepoint5 said:

Ohh.

Lmao i literally see you on almost every thread i enter.

I'm bored out of my mind at work atm. Just chillin. Also. You can run but you can hide!

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

1 hour ago, DoctorNick said:

I'm bored out of my mind at work atm. Just chillin. Also. You can run but you can hide!

Ahh! Agreed, Alright random citizen we shall meet again.

15 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Once again a useless recommendation without mentioning the reasons and caveats/drawbacks.

1) it's highly dependent on equipment and environment so that's not universally true, wider channels only get poorer latency if there is interference.

2) It seems 20MHz on 5GHz is too limiting, and if a general recommendation had to be made 40MHz seems to be the sweet spot with lower latency than 20 unless there's unusually high interference.

For network latency if it feels faster then you can measure it.

Worth noting that a weak 20Mhz signal will generally work better than 40Mhz which works better than 80Mhz, because the ability to work at range reduces as you increase the channel width.

Of course this is at a huge cost of reducing performance of things with a good signal to try to force something with a weak signal to work better, which will cause everything to work even slower as the WiFi will constantly be dropping to slower speeds.

The real solution in that situation is to get a mesh system or even just a plain Access Point wired back to the main router, that you can place closer to the weak clients.  The solution to bad WiFi is almost always put more WiFi closer to your clients or use a cable on those clients when possible.

Hopefully WiFi 7 is partly a solution to this, as it can split channels into smaller segments, though I'm not sure if that means it can use some RUs at high speeds and some at low, at the same time.  It would be much more efficient use of spectrum if it can.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

*** Thread locked ***

As there's no evidence of claimed benefits and there's multiple counter arguments, this claim should be taken as very high suspicion on claimed benefits. Placebo is poor excuse to do potentially harmful or damaging things.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv