Looking to add a Switch to my Google Fiber connection for a NAS

Middcore

Networking stuff is not my forte. I can set up a wifi network, and I've set up powerline adapters. That's about the heaviest life I've made in this area.

I've got Google FIber in my house with the Fiber Jack  and one of the mesh router pucks. Unfortunately the pucks only have one ethernet port, which is currently running to my main gaming PC.

I am planning to buy a Synology NAS. (Before someone says it, I know I could build a NAS, I've researched it a lot, but I don't have a bunch of old parts sitting around to assemble into one and for my basic needs it's just not cost effective to buy parts for such a project.) Therefore I find myself in need of a network switch to get the NAS connected. The Synology NASes support link aggregation and my understanding is I'll need to get a managed switch to make that work. 

I would like recommendations on an appropriate switch that's low-cost, if possible, a guide on getting it set up (mainly the link aggregation part).

Thanks! 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

What network speeds does the NAS and PC support?

I'd generally suggest just getting 2.5 or 10GBE if you want more than gigabit. Otherwise I'd use SMB multi chanel for higher speeds with multiple gbe links. This doesnt' need a managed switch

11 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What network speeds does the NAS and PC support?

My PC has 2.5G. The NAS is 1G with two ethernet ports and supports link aggregation. 

11 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Otherwise I'd use SMB multi chanel for higher speeds with multiple gbe links.

This is new terminology to me. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 minutes ago, Middcore said:

My PC has 2.5G. The NAS is 1G with two ethernet ports and supports link aggregation. 

This is new terminology to me. 

I'd relly try to get  2.5gbe nas if you can.

Otherwise get  chep 8 port gig switch and your good.

26 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I'd relly try to get  2.5gbe nas if you can.

Otherwise get  chep 8 port gig switch and your good.

Any NAS I can find with 2.5gbe is in a way higher price class. Any recommendations? 

4 hours ago, Middcore said:

Any NAS I can find with 2.5gbe is in a way higher price class. Any recommendations? 

How many bays do you need? QNap has some decent options. Something like a QNAP TS-433 seems to check the boxes here for 2.5GBE, faily cheap, and 4 bays.

8 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

How many bays do you need? QNap has some decent options. Something like a QNAP TS-433 seems to check the boxes here for 2.5GBE, faily cheap, and 4 bays.

One of the main uses for this NAS (something I probably should have said before) is serving as a Plex server and the TS-433 appears to have no integrated graphics, which seems like a problem for Plex?

4 bays is the very most I would need. I was prepared to buy a Synology model with just 2.

Get a basic unmanaged dumb switch and put it between the mesh node and your PC.

If you want to future-proof a little, spend the extra on a 2.5Gb switch. You won't get any speed benefit from it now, but you'll be ready to go if you get a NAS with 2.5Gb later on.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

16 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

If you want to future-proof a little, spend the extra on a 2.5Gb switch. You won't get any speed benefit from it now, but you'll be ready to go if you get a NAS with 2.5Gb later on.

I don't see how link aggregation is possible with this setup. Perhaps there is something I'm fundamentally misunderstanding, or some reason why link aggregation isn't worth it that I'm ignorant of.

14 minutes ago, Middcore said:

I don't see how link aggregation is possible with this setup. Perhaps there is something I'm fundamentally misunderstanding, or some reason why link aggregation isn't worth it that I'm ignorant of.

Adaptive load balancing shouldn't require anything special on the switch side.

https://kb.synology.com/en-us/DSM/help/DSM/AdminCenter/connection_network_linkaggr?version=7#:~:text=Adaptive Load Balancing

1 minute ago, Needfuldoer said:

https://kb.synology.com/en-us/DSM/help/DSM/AdminCenter/connection_network_linkaggr?version=7#:~:t

2 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

https://kb.synology.com/en-us/DSM/help/DSM/AdminCenter/connection_network_linkaggr?version=7#:~:text=Adaptive Load Balancing

The mesh puck only has one Ethernet port. I need two ethernet connections for link aggregation on the NAS. So the switch has to be between the puck and the NAS, right? 

1 minute ago, Middcore said:

The mesh puck only has one Ethernet port. I need two ethernet connections for link aggregation on the NAS. So the switch has to be between the puck and the NAS, right? 

Yes.

38 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

A five port unmanaged switch should work. One port for the puck, one for your PC, and two for the NAS.

Just now, Needfuldoer said:

Yes.

A five port unmanaged switch should work. One port for the puck, one for your PC, and two for the NAS.

Sorry, I guess I misinterpreted "between the mesh node and the PC."

28 minutes ago, Middcore said:

As I said earlier, you want SMB multi channel here, not link aggreggation. Let both Nics get a different IP, then it will use both links to get about 2gbit.

1 hour ago, Middcore said:

One of the main uses for this NAS (something I probably should have said before) is serving as a Plex server and the TS-433 appears to have no integrated graphics, which seems like a problem for Plex?

4 bays is the very most I would need. I was prepared to buy a Synology model with just 2.

How about this then? TS-262