high videogame ping with new router?

triumph of steel

hi everyone ive upgraded my network with a tplink ax1500 router and im getting inconsistent high ping in videogames now? doesnt fluctuate its either 90-100 which is normal for me or like 230-240 and just sits there. this occurs randomly throughout the day, sometimes i log in to the game its normal, sometimes it high. tested with my old tplink wr740n im consistenly getting my normal 90-100 ping. i dont really understant why a router affects this? my network setup is:

my isp issued ftth router -> cat 6e cable -> new ax1500 router -> cat 6e cable -> my pc

again if i replace ax1500 with wr740n ping is normal and also if i completely bypass 2nd router ping is also normal

thanks

41 minutes ago, triumph of steel said:

i dont really understant why a router affects this?

My guess would be that the new router takes longer to process/route packages before passing them on. Is there a specific reason you don't plug your computer directly into the ISP's modem/router?

Spoiler

Ping depends on several factors:

• The length of cable (or fiber) between your computer and the destination
  • The number of hops (i.e. devices such as routers, modems, …) between your computer and the destination
    • More specifically, how long these devices take to process a packet before they pass it on
    • This can vary depending on how much load there is
  • Finally the destination itself, how long it takes to respond, which will also vary based on its load

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

2 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

My guess would be that the new router takes longer to process/route packages before passing them on. Is there a specific reason you don't plug your computer directly into the ISP's modem/router?

Hide contents

Ping depends on several factors:

• The length of cable between your computer and the destination
  • The number of hops (i.e. devices such as routers, modems, …) between your computer and the destination
    • More specifically, how long these devices take to process a packet before they pass it on
    • This can vary depending on how much load there is
  • Finally the destination itself, how long it takes to respond, which will also vary based on its load

i dont plug in directly bc i still need to have wifi 6 at home so this is the reason why i bought the ax1500 in the first place

isp's router has 3 outputs, one is occupied by other pc directly, 2nd is occupied by my router situation from above and 3rd output is reserved for isp's iptv feature and they won't rebind it for just internet. believe me i asked haha

as for "ping factors" they are the same in both scenarios, im using exact same 2 cables, there's always 2 routers between my pc and isp, i just replace the 2nd router itself

thanks

18 minutes ago, triumph of steel said:

as for "ping factors" they are the same in both scenarios, im using exact same 2 cables, there's always 2 routers between my pc and isp, i just replace the 2nd router itself

As I said above, the second router likely takes longer to process stuff. Maybe have a look at its CPU load. Is it set to bridged mode to avoid double NAT? If this was my network, I'd lay it out to look more like this:

image.png.208940ed41049c2a62c5854af03d6728.png

This avoids having to go through two routers for devices that don't need Wi-Fi (and you could replace the router with a simple access point, it doesn't need to be able to provide DHCP etc.)

The info about cable length etc. was more general. The large majority of cable is outside your home and owned by various ISPs. Same goes for most of the hops between you and the game server. If you ping your own devices the ping time should generally be below 1 ms. The majority of time is spent on the route between your ISP and the game server's ISP (e.g. try pinging the modem's IP).

Which means if a device in your home introduces an additional 100 ms of latency, it sounds like something is seriously wrong with it. At least if we're talking cat 6 and not Wi-Fi.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

8 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

As I said above, the second router likely takes longer to process stuff. Maybe have a look at its CPU load. Is it set to bridged mode to avoid double NAT? If this was my network, I'd lay it out to look more like this:

image.png.208940ed41049c2a62c5854af03d6728.png

This avoids having to go through two routers for devices that don't need Wi-Fi (and you could replace the router with a simple access point, it doesn't need to be able to provide DHCP etc.)

The info about cable length etc. was more general. The large majority of cable is outside your home and owned by various ISPs. Same goes for most of the hops between you and the game server. If you ping your own devices the ping time should generally be below 1 ms. The majority of time is spent on the route between your ISP and the game server's ISP (e.g. try pinging the modem's IP).

Which means if a device in your home introduces an additional 100 ms of latency, it sounds like something is seriously wrong with it. At least if we're talking cat 6 and not Wi-Fi.

haha im currently turining my room upside down searching for a mini switch i had a couple years back

i also thought to split 2 cables at it, one to pc and one to the router 

i think i threw it out unfortunately

"fixed" the issue

connected my pc directly to isp's router via cat6e cable

moved router near the other pc that doesnt need ping

plugged new router into isp router for wifi

plugged other pc into new router for internet access

i guess i have to see what tp link support has to say about it no idea why this happens

2 hours ago, triumph of steel said:

"fixed" the issue

connected my pc directly to isp's router via cat6e cable

moved router near the other pc that doesnt need ping

plugged new router into isp router for wifi

plugged other pc into new router for internet access

i guess i have to see what tp link support has to say about it no idea why this happens

If you are only using the new router as WiFi Access Point, then check if it has an Access Point mode.

Having it act as a second router can cause various issues if not, such as devices connected to the second router unable to see devices on the primary, vice versa, and games can perform worse due to double-NAT.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

4 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

If you are only using the new router as WiFi Access Point, then check if it has an Access Point mode.

Agreed.

This also dedicates CPU resources to just running the AP and switch.