Samsung G9 OLED | Random BlackScreens | Troubleshooting

Hello, throwing a Hail Mary to see if anyone has more troubleshooting advice for a specific problem with my system.

I've been having issues with what i think is driver related, but i'm super unsure. I've got a Samsung G9 OLED(FreeSync model) that i get somewhat frequent blackscreens with. The application that causes it varies, but it happens primarily while gaming. The screen will go totally black with the system still running & most of the times i have to do a hard reset on my PC with the powerbutton, go into device manager, disable/enable the driver from my graphics card a few times, then it sometimes will bring back the display. I've seen around other forums with people who have the same issue, but never a full resolution or one that has worked with me so far.

System ::

Ryzen AM5 7950x

MSI X670E Carbon Wi-Fi w/  Trident Z Neo 64Gb DDR5 6000Mhz (4x16)

PowerColor 7900XTX Red Devil Limited

Samsung Odyssey G9 OLED 49" (G95SC)

I've tried to

Driver uninstall with DDU
Update drivers via Andrenalin

Graphic driver reload with Win-CTRL-B

Disabling the generic windows driver so that it doesn't override the graphics card(solution found on other forums)

Full OS reinstall (only worked for certain amount of time)

Currently i uninstalled the graphics card drivers to reinstall through AMD Software, but now it has a popup with ,

"Windows update may have automatically replaced your AMD graphic driver. Hence the version of AMD software you have launched is not compatible with your currently installed AMD graphics driver"

So the troubleshooting is basically compounding at this point because the version i re-installed is the same version i originally had & was "working".  Ironically when i try to force the driver issue today, it's perfectly fine when i'm trying to dig through Event Viewer Logs.

Any ideas is appreciated. I just want to make sure it's a graphics card issue or a motherboard issue before i start any RMA process.

-Hawk

Sounds more like a insufficient cable quality for signal integrity. Have you tried using different cable or lowering the refresh rate of the monitor (if you don't have different cable)?

It's running on the included DP cable from Samsung which has been running fine when it doesn't have the issue. Plus when i hookup to on-board graphics the signal will sometimes come back but only at like 3840x1080/60Hz

Generally it's running 5120x1440/240Hz

Just now, Hawkeye50Cal said:

It's running on the included DP cable from Samsung which has been running fine when it doesn't have the issue. Plus when i hookup to on-board graphics the signal will sometimes come back but only at like 3840x1080/60Hz

Generally it's running 5120x1440/240Hz

I had many issues with included cables in the past so I wouldn't rule it out before trying different better quality cable. I also had to go trough multiple cables to find one that actually works. Though that's an issue mainly if you want longer cable as DP tends to have more issues above 2m length so you really need good cable if you need longer one.

Also check this out... if you want. It's kinda long but explains a lot about cable issues.

That's fair, i've run into my fair share of cable issues also & yea i've seen Wendells video before on it too😂

Edit:

I am actually gonna watch that video again as a refresher though. Can never to too  careful 🤔

The most recent thing i've tried was to actually close out of the MSI Center app in the background & it hasn't done it in a few hours.

I originally saw that the motherboard temperature readout was still running, but the AIO screen stopped, so i though that maybe it could possibly be an issue there.

Mainly time will tell with that, but i couldn't see why that would be involved with a display issue..It's mostly just confirmation-bias a right now til it happens again..lol

11 minutes ago, Hawkeye50Cal said:

The most recent thing i've tried was to actually close out of the MSI Center app in the background & it hasn't done it in a few hours.

I originally saw that the motherboard temperature readout was still running, but the AIO screen stopped, so i though that maybe it could possibly be an issue there.

Mainly time will tell with that, but i couldn't see why that would be involved with a display issue..It's mostly just confirmation-bias a right now til it happens again..lol

IDK about MSI Center. Last time I had to deal with it about 3y ago it was a complete piece of garbage so no clue if it's in a good state now or how it would even relate to your issue of losing display 😄 

Last time I had a cable issue I figured it out by setting the display to 60Hz and I never got a black screen, then I increased it to 120Hz and it was also fine. 144Hz-165Hz caused issue. It was also an included cable that started acting up after a 1y of being in use. One of the replacement cables I've tried was also so bad that it couldn't handle 60Hz 1440p.

I think it's worth it to try the simpler possibilities before jumping to conclusions that it's either driver or a GPU issue.

• 2 weeks later...

As an update just for anyone who gets this issue also I may possibly an answer.

As i was looking through Event Viewer i noticed alot of MSI Center crashes which i though were a by-product of the driver crashes, but looking at them time order-wise was definitely the opposite. It is a relative small sample size of testing so far, but after i got the driver online, monitor setup with everything i exited out of MSI Center in the background tasks & haven't had any issues so far. No idea WHY it was doing that, but so far so good.

If anyone has an AIO, i wouldnt put it past as a possible troubleshooting step

UPDATE:

I would check your display settings also to see if "Auto HDR" is ON. Since i've done those 2, i haven't had any issues.