DVD - files on my hard drive.

Hi everyone.

I found out that my fav BBC comedy series from the early 2000s just are not available anywhere to stream, buy electronic versions or even as 240video on youtube. I ebayed a few DVD box sets, Smoking room, Ideal, Monkeydust, Bottom and a few others. Got a next day amazon dilivery for an external USB Dvd reader.

Now I would like to change those DVDs in to files on my computer of some sort that VLC can play back. If I google DVD ripper I get you tube videos about the Yourkshire ripper or top ten listicals about how DVDs give you cancer.

Can anyone suggest a free opensource program to enable my format shifting?

Thanks.

MakeMKV is probably the easiest, but I dont think it's open source.

If you really want open source, you can use Handbrake to transcode the dvd into basically whatever file type you want. You would need to download and put libdvdcss.dll into the Handbrake root folder so it can read through the DRM.

If you want to download from YT, use yt-dlp. Players like Mplayer and VLC itself can play a large variety of formats. Transcode is useful for just that: transcode from one format to another. Making a DVD from media files can be done with Handbrake and K3B.

All of these are open source programs available on Linux and perhaps for Win-OS as well, YMMV!

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

MakeMKV and Handbrake. And since they are DVD so 480p, this is great guide for Handbrake settings https://www.thewebernets.com/2022/02/05/easiest-best-optimal-settings-for-handbrake-dvd-to-h264-video-conversion-on-mac-windows-and-linux-2022/

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Thanks everyone. I should be able to get it done now. #

Cheers.