Safest torrent client

Go to solution Solved by Skipple,
3 hours ago, TriangleWasTaken said:

different layers of privacy

I'm not sure what you mean here. When using torrents, your IP must be exposed, as it must be broadcasted in order to connect to other users to seed/leach. 

Any additional security or layering shouldn't happen within the client itself, but rather in how you are connecting to the WAN. As @alphaburst21 suggested, using a VPN is an easy enough way to obfuscate your public IP if that's something your concerned with, but it's not exactly a security risk. It's not really a privacy risk either so long as you are downloading/redistributing legal content. 

Hello, i need a torrent download, but since I'm not really an expert in the field, i was wondering if there is any kind of "tier list" of torrents, which have different layers of privacy and something like that. 

Does any of you have a recommendation for it? 

Edit: Sorry i forgot to mention im in Windows 

35 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Windows? qBittorrent

Yes! Thanks 🙂

52 minutes ago, whispous said:

The biggest risk is in being un-smrt about the torrents you pick 😉 not just the trust in the client

TBF, μTorrent basically became malware like 10 years ago. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

3 hours ago, TriangleWasTaken said:

different layers of privacy

I'm not sure what you mean here. When using torrents, your IP must be exposed, as it must be broadcasted in order to connect to other users to seed/leach. 

Any additional security or layering shouldn't happen within the client itself, but rather in how you are connecting to the WAN. As @alphaburst21 suggested, using a VPN is an easy enough way to obfuscate your public IP if that's something your concerned with, but it's not exactly a security risk. It's not really a privacy risk either so long as you are downloading/redistributing legal content. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

1 hour ago, Skipple said:

i am using a vpn thank you all for the tips.

I was just looking around, and found Deluge as a nice torrent client, but that made me wonder about the "safest one". Thanks for clarification!

39 minutes ago, TriangleWasTaken said:

Deluge

Deluge is a perfectly fine client as well, I've used it before in an unRAID container and works well. The release I used even came with PIA integrated. 

Both qBittorrent and Deluge are open source clients [1, 2] and are well regarded. iirc Deluge had an issue with a large number of active torrents back in the day. Not sure if that's still an issue. 

ask me about my homelab

16 minutes ago, Skipple said:

Deluge is a perfectly fine client as well, I've used it before in an unRAID container and works well. The release I used even came with PIA integrated. 

Both qBittorrent and Deluge are open source clients [1, 2] and are well regarded. iirc Deluge had an issue with a large number of active torrents back in the day. Not sure if that's still an issue. 

Thanks for the infos!