Upgrading and learning

Stin6667
Go to solution Solved by Lurick,

Go with the x550-T2 as it supports 2.5/5 gigabit speeds in addition to 1 and 10 gig without issue. The x540 doesn't have native 2.5/5g support and it working is hit or miss.

Good day,

Thanks in advance for reading my post. 

So some background I live in an "Apartment". So there is built in cabling and they are all CAT5E.

I am learning about networking, slowly... As I upgrade and build I am learning.

I have a few questions ( and I will explain how I tried to set up my network, sorry I know it is bad. )

In the computer room I have daisy chained 2 mini switches. Which I am planning to upgrade to a USW-Enterprise-8-PoE ( I might need to add one more mini switch to that, not sure yet).

That will be connected to a WIFI 6 pro or 7 pro (still undecided). I currently have asus router (which I have in AP mode, acting as just WIFI).

I build a router thanks to level 1 Tech. I plan to put a 10gbe nic ( but as I am typing this out, I eventually want 10gbe internet but I will need to move to the city to get that, and that is not happening any time soon. However I can put in a 2.5Gbe internet which will cost about $10-20 more). I have a synology NAS which I would like to put in a 10gbe nic. 

So I have 2 questions.
Is my idea okay?

Should I go with the intel x550-t2 or the x540-t2

Thanks 

J

Go with the x550-T2 as it supports 2.5/5 gigabit speeds in addition to 1 and 10 gig without issue. The x540 doesn't have native 2.5/5g support and it working is hit or miss.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: