Is RDNA1 still good for value?

okkee

I'd personally day that the 5600xt/5700/5700xt are pretty much the best value cards for people who can't break the bank (the bank being 150USD). That said, they're getting on in years and their struggles with more recent AAA titles even at 1080 low make them even less compelling. I think they're still ok for most titles but i don't think they'd be my first recommendation. What do you guys think?

I think that rn, the 6600 non xt is probably the best "budget friendly" card.

Another aside is that technically the 7600 non xt is the best in terms of value for money but i think i'm getting my thoughts jumbled up at this point.

I'll probably end up restructuring this question but yeah.

14 minutes ago, okkee said:

I'd personally day that the 5600xt/5700/5700xt are pretty much the best value cards for people who can't break the bank (the bank being 150USD). That said, they're getting on in years and their struggles with more recent AAA titles even at 1080 low make them even less compelling. I think they're still ok for most titles but i don't think they'd be my first recommendation. What do you guys think?

I think that rn, the 6600 non xt is probably the best "budget friendly" card.

Another aside is that technically the 7600 non xt is the best in terms of value for money but i think i'm getting my thoughts jumbled up at this point.

I'll probably end up restructuring this question but yeah.

the 6600 non xt actually performs worse on average than the 5700 xt and considering the 5700 XT is normally cheaper (used) I'd go for the 5700 XT (not bad that it also has 8gb of vram)

image.png.37734065c97f1e3ce80ef878787c22e7.png

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

Nope, RDNA 1 isn't good, and should not be considered anymore tbh.

Sadly German, but maybe there's english subtitles? 

Let me break it down: This Video is about the GTX Titan from 2013, how it keeps up today.

And how it aged really well.

In the End (Minute 32) he talks about the negative example, what didn't age well: RDNA 1.

It comes without Ray tracing capabilities and is missing alot of Features like Variable Rate Shading. RDNA1 diesn't fulfill the DX12 Ultimate Featureset.

Well, at 150 bucks today (Dollar or Euro doesn't matteR) is really low, and used Market is a different story. If it's Pascal, Touring or RDNA1, it most likely depends on how much pure fps-Power per Money you c an get.
But it's not a good buy if you want anything futureproof for anything - it's more like "i want to game, i don't have alot of money, what's the least worst choice".

However, there's another point Reviewers never talked about: RDNA 1 had horrible instabilityy problems for a LOT of Users. Many Tech Forums were full of that problem. I knew someone who tried like 3 or 4 different models (RX 5700 and 5700 XT), but all were unstable for most Games. Nvidia was withotu issues.
I also chose RDNA 1 back in 2019 for my GF's PC, she had horrible black screen and freezes all the time. As soon i had the idea to put my GTX 1080 inside, no more issues.

I personally wouldn't risk RDNA 1 anymore today, there are enough options available.

Seeing that Benchmark screenshot above, i would chose RX 6600 > RX 5700 XT anytime, unless the price difference is very noticable.

5% more or less is not something anybody will notice - especially if you use VRR (Freesync/Adaptive Sync).
But it consumes like 80-100w less power and has a better Featureset.

2 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

Let me break it down: This Video is about the GTX Titan from 2013, how it keeps up today.

And how it aged really well.

In the End (Minute 32) he talks about the negative example, what didn't age well: RDNA 1.

It comes without Ray tracing capabilities

As if the GTX Titan from 2013 has them? 

Well, at 150 bucks today (Dollar or Euro doesn't matteR) is really low, and used Market is a different story. 

The used market is the only market being discussed here. None of these cards are still being sold new.

But it's not a good buy if you want anything futureproof for anything

Futureproofing isn't real.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 hour ago, Middcore said:

As if the GTX Titan from 2013 has them? 

Noone ever claimed it has. But it managed to stay relevant for long thanks to the massive Vram at the time back then.
While RDNA1 is outdated just a few year's later, it came out 2019, it doesn't support features that can be used today.

The used market is the only market being discussed here. None of these cards are still being sold new.

True, but i would chose RTX 2000 series over RX 5000 series.

That beeing said, i would've never considered RDNA1 due to the stability issues those Chips had.

Futureproofing isn't real.

Touring has more features than RDNA1 and "aged better".

RDNA1 did not aged well. In no Aspect at all.  Not Features, not efficiency. Only thing it has going might be when you can find it cheap enough.

25 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

Touring has more features than RDNA1 and "aged better".

It makes no sense to compare Turing to RDNA1 as if Turing wasn't a much bigger product stack.

Is a 2080 ti a better card than a 5700 XT now? Of course it is. It will also cost you, conservatively, twice as much. So what's the point of the comparison? If you got a 2080 ti in ~2019 it's probably holding up better for you than if you'd gotten a 5700 XT at the same time, as it should considering it sold at a much higher price point, but we're talking about bang for buck in the used market in 2024.

Are the cards the 5700 XT actually competed with like the 2060 and 2070 better cards than the 5700 XT now? Not so much, especially considering they still cost more. 

RDNA1 did not aged well. In no Aspect at all.  Not Features,

Nothing in the same price class can effectively use those "features" you're bashing it for not having, anyway. You couldn't do ray tracing acceptably on a 2060 when it came out, let alone now. 

not efficiency.

Nobody actually cares about efficiency. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

5 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Nobody actually cares about efficiency. 

I do. Alot. Like many others do as they should. Why the hell would i not care for that? It's basic common Sense as it has only benefits - even if you ignore the Cost difference.

Just because You don't, don't reflect that upon the whole World.

As for RDNA1: Like i said, Price decides if it's good or not.

If It's significantly cheaper than anything else in a similar Performancerange, then yes.

If not, i don't see any reason why anyone should go specifically for RDNA1.

Nothing more, nothing less did i say.

11 hours ago, filpo said:

the 6600 non xt actually performs worse on average than the 5700 xt and considering the 5700 XT is normally cheaper (used) I'd go for the 5700 XT (not bad that it also has 8gb of vram)

image.png.37734065c97f1e3ce80ef878787c22e7.png

5700XT is actually really nice. was just wondering if it's not getting a little too old.

2 hours ago, Darkseth said:

"i want to game, i don't have alot of money, what's the least worst choice".

this is quite literally the question at hand. idk about the instability but it seems to be alright nowadays. a lot of what it's missing is probs because it's dx12.1 but i don't think that's all that relevant today. probably soon but not right now.

48 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Are the cards the 5700 XT actually competed with like the 2060 and 2070 better cards than the 5700 XT now? Not so much, especially considering they still cost more. 

something i've noticed is nvidia cards take a while to drop down in price. on ebay, the sub 200 markert seems to be the rdna1 cards vs 1070/1080. sometimes a 1080ti but that seems to be with the turing cards above 200 usd.

1 hour ago, Darkseth said:

I do. Alot. Like many others do as they should. Why the hell would i not care for that? It's basic common Sense as it has only benefits - even if you ignore the Cost difference.

Many others pretend to, or have a vague idea they should because it's a talking point in reviews. 

The reality is unless you're a miner with a dozens of cards running, the differences in power consumption won't be noticeable in your monthly power bill without obsessively controlling for every other variable and specifically looking for it.

When a card delivers the performance people want, they accept the power demand. People acted like Nvidia was doing them a favor making them buy new PSUs for the high-end 40-series cards.

As for RDNA1: Like i said, Price decides if it's good or not.

OP listed a price point in the very first post, and going rates in the used market are easy to look up.

You have yet to propose any card at that price point which would be a better choice. Probably because there isn't one. 

1 hour ago, okkee said:

something i've noticed is nvidia cards take a while to drop down in price.

Nvidia cards start out more expensive and their marketing and mindshare keeps their "value" higher for longer. 

14 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Many others pretend to, or have a vague idea they should because it's a talking point in reviews. 

The reality is unless you're a miner with a dozens of cards running, the differences in power consumption won't be noticeable in your monthly power bill without obsessively controlling for every other variable and specifically looking for it.

When a card delivers the performance people want, they accept the power demand. People acted like Nvidia was doing them a favor making them buy new PSUs for the high-end 40-series cards.

OP listed a price point in the very first post, and going rates in the used market are easy to look up.

You have yet to propose any card at that price point which would be a better choice. Probably because there isn't one. 

Nvidia cards start out more expensive and their marketing and mindshare keeps their "value" higher for longer. 

Edit : comment no longer valid.

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset

1 minute ago, Bagzie said:

I don't necesserily disagree with you but there is quite a few RTX2070's that can be had for sub $150 like the OP says "is the bank".

Cheapest working 2070 with Buy It Now on eBay at the moment is $180.

I don't doubt you could do better with a bit of luck or by hunting locally but the 5700's start at about $120 and the 5700 XT is right at $150. 

Just now, Middcore said:

Cheapest working 2070 with Buy It Now on eBay at the moment is $180.

I don't doubt you could do better with a bit of luck or by hunting locally but the 5700's start at about $120 and the 5700 XT is right at $150. 

You know something you are absolutely correct , I made a mistake when checking the prices.

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset