Do I really need a heatsink for PS5 SSD?

Vibes NoVibes

Do I really need a heatsink for PS5 SSD? I am thinking about buying one without it and am wondering if it would cause any issues.

20 minutes ago, Vibes NoVibes said:

Do I really need a heatsink for PS5 SSD? I am thinking about buying one without it and am wondering if it would cause any issues.

No, a heatsink is to prevent thermal throttling of the drive controller which mostly happens with large writes and the PS5 only writes to the NVME SSD when downloading/installing a game to it, which isn't going to stress the controller that hard.

You usually can't even fit a drive with a heatsink without leaving the metal panel off, as the PS5 wasn't designed for drives with heatsinks.

Although Playstation do say:

Do not use an M.2 SSD without a heat-dissipation mechanism, such as a heat sink or heat transfer sheet.

What you need to know there is the label on high-end NVME drives IS a heat transfer sheet!

Strange they mention a heatsink given they don't usually fit and they also say not to operate the PS5 with the panel off, which makes a heatsink impossible.  Just covering their ass I guess.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

25 minutes ago, Vibes NoVibes said:

It'll work. Worst case is it'll thermal throttle and performance will drop. People have done testing with SSDs slower than PS recommended and it still works.

Still, I'd suggest looking for one with a heatsink. You can find lists of compatible ones and the price difference is marginal.

9 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

You usually can't even fit a drive with a heatsink without leaving the metal panel off, as the PS5 wasn't designed for drives with heatsinks.

PS recommended from the start you get one with a heatsink. The vertical height clearance means some taller coolers wont fit, but there are plenty of models available on the market which do. I went with the WD SN850 which was a popular choice earlier on.

image.thumb.png.5b8b856453d605fed82f243e401794b8.png

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/support/hardware/ps5-install-m2-ssd/

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

48 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Strange they mention a heatsink given they don't usually fit and they also say not to operate the PS5 with the panel off, which makes a heatsink impossible.

Dunno why you think heatsinks don't fit. They very clearly do and have done from the start.

image.png.e4645d4bebeae350828b88e22800aebf.png

This is what I have in my PS5. It's not the biggest heatsink but there's many offerings in that size class that do fit.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 hours ago, porina said:

It'll work. Worst case is it'll thermal throttle and performance will drop. People have done testing with SSDs slower than PS recommended and it still works.

Still, I'd suggest looking for one with a heatsink. You can find lists of compatible ones and the price difference is marginal.

PS recommended from the start you get one with a heatsink. The vertical height clearance means some taller coolers wont fit, but there are plenty of models available on the market which do. I went with the WD SN850 which was a popular choice earlier on.

image.thumb.png.5b8b856453d605fed82f243e401794b8.png

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/support/hardware/ps5-install-m2-ssd/

You sure that was there before?  I remember several videos of people struggling to fit them which would seem bonkers if the documentation specifically gave dimensions.

Pretty sure mine doesn't have one as everyone were saying they didn't fit.  Oh well, not had any performance issues given Spiderman 2 is on it which should have shown any performance problems.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

You sure that was there before?

I didn't get my PS5 day 1 due to the shortages of the time. That advice was certainly up when I got mine a bit later.

Maybe it was missing very early on and that's what you remember. Since I didn't have one, I didn't look and missed it. For sure, today, there's no problem buying a SSD with heatsink for it.

I'm using a WD SN850 2TB in my PS5 with a be quiet! MC1 cooler and I had no problems getting it to fit. Not the MC1 Pro however as that one wouldn't fit.

Sony specifically recommends using one with a heatsink. There are plenty of SSDs available with a preinstalled heatsink that fit just fine. They're not expensive. I have a Samsung 980 Pro with a preinstalled heatsink in mine. It was even advertised to be PS5 compatible. Even if you get one without a heatsink, aftermarket SSD heatsinks are cheap. I have some Thermalright SSD heatsinks that I think would fit that only cost $6.

4 hours ago, B16CXHatch said:

Sony specifically recommends using one with a heatsink. There are plenty of SSDs available with a preinstalled heatsink that fit just fine. They're not expensive. I have a Samsung 980 Pro with a preinstalled heatsink in mine. It was even advertised to be PS5 compatible. Even if you get one without a heatsink, aftermarket SSD heatsinks are cheap. I have some Thermalright SSD heatsinks that I think would fit that only cost $6.

They specifically say "or heat transfer sheet".  Although I'm not 100% if they mean the metal labels almost all SSDs come with, or a heat transfer pad.  I assume the former as that's all mine has and not had any performance problems.

I got mine fairly early when NVME support was added, AFAIK none of the heatsink models fit back then as it was only when vendors started rating them for PS5 use that they made sure the heatsinks were small enough.