Is my airflow best optimized for my case?

aren332

I have a corsair 3000d airflow case, is my airflow best optimized? here is my layout:

image.png.9f83228fd3116248c26d3eebc99f11f8.png

all the blue is 120mm fans with the arrows showing the direction (except the gpu, which has smaller fans than 120mm). The red shows all the possible airflow holes, and as you can see, under the psu, the holes stretch a little further than the psu itself. The 120mm fan directly above the psu does have like a cm of clearance, so it does get some airflow space, but not a lot. Air cannot flow thru the black (except the fan above the psu which has a little bit of clearance for airflow). The hdd and cables do act is obstacles for airflow, which means the 2 fans below the gpu dont get the best airflow clearance. So is this the best airflow config for this case? All the fans have similar performance

It looks OK, but what temps do you see on your most demanding software?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

On 2/17/2024 at 12:57 AM, aren332 said:

I have a corsair 3000d airflow case, is my airflow best optimized? here is my layout:

image.png.9f83228fd3116248c26d3eebc99f11f8.png

all the blue is 120mm fans with the arrows showing the direction (except the gpu, which has smaller fans than 120mm). The red shows all the possible airflow holes, and as you can see, under the psu, the holes stretch a little further than the psu itself. The 120mm fan directly above the psu does have like a cm of clearance, so it does get some airflow space, but not a lot. Air cannot flow thru the black (except the fan above the psu which has a little bit of clearance for airflow). The hdd and cables do act is obstacles for airflow, which means the 2 fans below the gpu dont get the best airflow clearance. So is this the best airflow config for this case? All the fans have similar performance

looks ok.. but.. what direction is your PSU directed.. is it throug flow on it?.. usually it sucks air in from one side and blows it out in the back. 

10 hours ago, Robchil said:

looks ok.. but.. what direction is your PSU directed.. is it throug flow on it?.. usually it sucks air in from one side and blows it out in the back. 

yeah it blows it out the back

16 hours ago, RevGAM said:

It looks OK, but what temps do you see on your most demanding software?

prime 95 - crashes my pc (idk why, my temps stay under 90 for like the first few seconds then my pc turns off and i have a vrm fan), furmark cpu burner on my overclocked 4790k @4.8 ghz @1.275v goes up to 81c and my rtx 2060 evga ko ultra + OC goes up to 77c in furmark stress test 1080p

7 hours ago, aren332 said:

prime 95 - crashes my pc (idk why, my temps stay under 90 for like the first few seconds then my pc turns off and i have a vrm fan), furmark cpu burner on my overclocked 4790k @4.8 ghz @1.275v goes up to 81c and my rtx 2060 evga ko ultra + OC goes up to 77c in furmark stress test 1080p

4790K stock runs at a boost of 4.4GHz, you might have too low a voltage to manage a 0.4GHz OC, im not sure about the voltages for Ocing on the earlier chips, some others might know in this forum though,

And how is the 2060 OC'd?

Id also remove the frontmost top fan, its not removing any hot air and only starves the cpu cooler of fresh air

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

7 hours ago, aren332 said:

Why are you using prime95? It's extremely demanding.  If it's the only thing causing trouble, and your temps are otherwise 81 C or less, I wouldn't worry. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

7 hours ago, TatamiMatt said:

4790K stock runs at a boost of 4.4GHz, you might have too low a voltage to manage a 0.4GHz OC, im not sure about the voltages for Ocing on the earlier chips, some others might know in this forum though,

And how is the 2060 OC'd?

Id also remove the frontmost top fan, its not removing any hot air and only starves the cpu cooler of fresh air

idk the 4790k is stable for 24/7 usage at that voltage. the 2060 is +125 core +900 memory but i also have patriot viper iii 2x8gb 1866mhz which i overclocked to 2133 mhz. My whole system is stable tho

14 hours ago, aren332 said:

idk the 4790k is stable for 24/7 usage at that voltage. the 2060 is +125 core +900 memory but i also have patriot viper iii 2x8gb 1866mhz which i overclocked to 2133 mhz. My whole system is stable tho

I dont doubt your system is stable under normal load, but prime 95 is quite an extreme load

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

5 hours ago, TatamiMatt said:

I dont doubt your system is stable under normal load, but prime 95 is quite an extreme load

I tried Prime 95 once and my computer handled it just fine, except that the wifi stopped working until I restarted my PC. 😉

Then again, my 12700k is rather on the low end of the scale - my son has a 12600k on a Tuf Gaming B660M with half the RAM, and his computer is faster. 😮 Silicon lottery loser, they call me.

On 2/20/2024 at 3:49 AM, TatamiMatt said:

its stable in asus realbench 2.56 stress test and prime 95 small ffts without avx