LTT CompTIA Video Training?

so_Kind_

I've been studying for the A+ and Network+ exams. While the materials available are great, I personally think LTT could really provide a great format for these video learning courses like the ones found on sites like LinkedIn Learning. I wonder if LTT has considered using Floatplane for a service like this. I would definitely pay to not have to watch outdated videos, just because the content is still *vaguely* relevant. Plus, LMG videos are far more interactive and entertaining. Just a thought

Financially it doesn't make much sense, it would either require pulling a large portion of their staff to work on it and hiring experts to create the courses and take a long time to build a library of material. There are already a couple of competitors in that area that have massive libraries of content.  I have no doubt they could do it well but in the end there is only so much you can do to make a training video entertaining. When it comes to those sort of informational video I want it just explained clearly and to the point.

I'm not sure LTT would really want to endorse such an anti-right to repair organisation as CompTIA either.

Its sad that any organisation takes their qualifications seriously.  I started the A+ and 99% of what was covered is not remotely useful in any job I can think of.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

The CompTIA exam is a pre-requisite on so many applications and job postings. I truly do not understand why, since so many companies require technical tests as part of the interview process. Unfortunately, that doesn't change the fact that it opens doors. I agree for LMG it would probably be a huge endeavor. It is a space that could use a shake-up for sure though

17 minutes ago, so_Kind_ said:

The CompTIA exam is a pre-requisite on so many applications and job postings. I truly do not understand why, since so many companies require technical tests as part of the interview process. Unfortunately, that doesn't change the fact that it opens doors. I agree for LMG it would probably be a huge endeavor. It is a space that could use a shake-up for sure though

You can thank management for that, the common belief is that a degree or certifications are need for everything. I know alot of older professionals that don't have a degree or certifications before that was the MUST have thing and they are critical for the company and know more then people that went to school for it. My father in law went to school for nuclear engineering but couldn't pass some final exam because of dyslexia and still got hired at a major engineering company and has been all over the world designing controls systems. It unfortunately has been beaten into peoples heads that without college and formal education you can't amount to much.  

I started getting a computer science degree before the school I was going to merged with another and everything got messed up. By the time I could afford to go back it was quicker for me to get a 2 year degree in drafting then finish even an IT degree. Everything I do now is on the job sort of training. A school can give you an idea of how the software works but other then what I could learn in a weekend on youtube it's pointless. But all I needed was a stupid piece of paper showing I had a drafting degree and a couple of autocad certificates and I got a great job. My day to day is now specialized for the sort of work we do and I have been working on 3d Scans, drone photogrammetry, and a few other things. 

10 minutes ago, voyager_ said:

You can thank management for that, the common belief is that a degree or certifications are need for everything. I know alot of older professionals that don't have a degree or certifications before that was the MUST have thing and they are critical for the company and know more then people that went to school for it. My father in law went to school for nuclear engineering but couldn't pass some final exam because of dyslexia and still got hired at a major engineering company and has been all over the world designing controls systems. It unfortunately has been beaten into peoples heads that without college and formal education you can't amount to much.  

I started getting a computer science degree before the school I was going to merged with another and everything got messed up. By the time I could afford to go back it was quicker for me to get a 2 year degree in drafting then finish even an IT degree. Everything I do now is on the job sort of training. A school can give you an idea of how the software works but other then what I could learn in a weekend on youtube it's pointless. But all I needed was a stupid piece of paper showing I had a drafting degree and a couple of autocad certificates and I got a great job. My day to day is now specialized for the sort of work we do and I have been working on 3d Scans, drone photogrammetry, and a few other things. 

As someone with an Associate's and struggling to land even an entry level position, your situation is extremely validating. Through trial and error, I figured more certifications would help, which lands me to where I am now. A lot of the information on these tests are way below what I even have learned just being passionate about computers before schooling! Thanks for sharing your path. Sounds like the piece of papers are an unfortunate part to landing a position, unless I get a chance to prove skills technically instead. Maybe these courses are boring to me because I have seen more in depth videos on LTT and learned more by Googling about it after and playing with tech at home.

I still stand by my point that in a world with unlimited resources, LMG would do this pre-cert learning process better!

I thought selling courses is the most lucrative youtube monetizing models these days 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I can't agree more, I'm studying for the Security+ and then hopefully the CySA+, and there are tons of places selling courses, and then you buy one and they look straight up like 2008 LTT. I struggle to sit through them, especially when they attempt the driest humour ever 🫠. I would love to see LTT put out some higher education stuff, not that their content isn't educational, but something like "How to build a PC, the last guide you'll ever need!", but for CompTIA A+ would be amazing. Even if they did lower level stuff it would be nice to see and great for the tech community, like passing High School CS or Engineering, the last guide you'll ever need!

I can agree that many people would find this useful. I, personally, would not be interested. I have passed A+, Net+, and Security+ with CySA+ in my sights next. I have found that I don't retain as much from videos and prefer reading when it comes to material I am to be tested over. I purchased Dion through Udemy for all of the exams I took, but only watched maybe 3 videos out of them all. Money still well spent for the practice exams. 

In the end, I watch video for entertainment and personal interest. My personal learning style. And indeed, from a business standpoint, that sector is pretty well covered by less entertaining personalities. 

Edited by candidcartoon
Spelling. Phone auto correct misbehaving.

On 2/15/2024 at 12:54 PM, so_Kind_ said:

I've been studying for the A+ and Network+ exams. While the materials available are great, I personally think LTT could really provide a great format for these video learning courses like the ones found on sites like LinkedIn Learning. I wonder if LTT has considered using Floatplane for a service like this. I would definitely pay to not have to watch outdated videos, just because the content is still *vaguely* relevant. Plus, LMG videos are far more interactive and entertaining. Just a thought

I would recommend a different approach than getting A+ and Net+ before your first job. There are free certs that are similarly valued by hiring managers. 

Google IT support

IBM IT support

Even the certificate you get at the end of a Udemy course is worth mentioning. 

Comptia is a "non profit" for profit. Their material and tests are arbitrary and expensive. I would only get them if you need them for a specific job, or if an employer/school is willing to pay for it.

For your first job, your best bet is going to be getting some of those free certs. Then apply like crazy. An MSP is a great way to get your foot in the door and a TON of experience.  After that, get all the certs you want.